New PR4 GT rear, now wiggly feeling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of us discount the easy answers too quickly. And I've been one of 'em
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again for reporting back, even though you had to know you'd get some good-natured ribbing ;)

I usually check the tires once per week or so - maybe more if I am on a roadtrip. When I install a new tire, I check a couple of times over the first day or two - I have seen a few cases where there have been problems with seating at the bead and with the Schrader valves.

The "kick method" lower threshold is not much better than the "it looks flat" threshold for most MC tires. Especially with newer tires.

mcatrophy: Yea, I learned my lesson, unfortunately when I got home from work each day, as I get off the bike I'm not really wanting to get down on my hands and knees to check until I go in the house and change clothes, then I didn't always make it back out to the shop. That's why the kick it method can usually get me a close ballbark if anything is obviously out of whack (I learned it's not as foolproof as I thought). My brain is thinking (I just put this tire on, there shouldn't be any leaks, at least not this quick) so I put off checking, thinking I had just checked it a few days before when I installed it. I'll definitely take the blame for not checking, but nobody expects a new tire to go down that quick, and when something feels funny, your brain wants to look at the new tire being at fault, not your bad luck of hitting a nail within a day or so of putting that tire on. lol
Best advice is to always measure before you go out so you measure the cold pressure. Yes, I know you always get brake dust all over your hands, so wash them afterwards. I have a small piece of mat I use to kneel on to pray to the bike keep my trousers clean while I grovel.

And, personally, I always keep a more watchful eye on a new tyre for the first few days or few hundred miles, who knows whether the mounter left debris on the rim so there's a leak, or didn't quite get the valve seated properly, so it's only the cap holding the air in? Although I wouldn't necessarily expect a nail.

Anyway, glad it's resolved.

Yea, that's what makes life go around. ;-) And I deserved it in this case.

After some digging, here is what I found, in the order of which I like:

Orange M202: I like it, but I'm not so sure the are still in business as I can't find anywhere that sells it except a couple on ebay.

Doran: Seems to be the most popular and people like it, however the fact it doesn't do temp and doesn't show pressure until you press a button makes me not like it as well.

Moto Track 2 (https://www.tpms.ca/MOTORCYCLE.html): Looks nice, but I'm questioning the waterproofness of it. I like the looks of it otherwise, and I can move it to a different bike easily, since I have 3 in the stable.

TireGard 13-315U: Looks decent, but there are mixed reviews. Still tempting for the price

Tire-Safeguard: Looks nice, decent reviews, but I kinda wish it would show both tires and once.

Pressurepro: I like it being small, but only shows 1 tire at a time. Being LED, it makes me wonder if I would be able to see the display in the sunlight.

If you want to spend some $$$ get one of the new Zumos. The 390 & 590 both have TPMS and they work very well. Tire pressure can be checked while the bike is stationary. Just spin the rear tire & shake the handlebars to wake up the sensors. Both front & rear tires are shown together. A warning banner will show if you are on a different screen when pressure drops. High and low pressures limits can be set to any number you want. And it also graphs the tire pressures so you can look back at what the tires pressures were doing over the last week or so.

All that and they are great GPS units to boot.

If it's in the center of the tire, a string plug should save you time and will hold air no problemo. Fast install, unless your reamer is real big.

Yep, I used a DynaPlug and it worked great. We won't get into my reamer size, but let's just say it was a tight fit.
winksmiley02.gif