New "sport" bike in the garage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuilderBob

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a sport bike. The FJR is great, but there are times when I want to get out on a light-weight, nice handling bike for back road fun.

Considered a liter bike, and could handle one I'm sure. But I changed my mind today because of other, more important factors.

My son is in the Navy, stationed in San Diego. A year ago he took the rider safety course and bought his first bike; a Kawi ZX6R. Long story short, it was stolen the very first day he had it. Although his insurance covered the loss, he was devastated. He was 18 at the time.

My son is home on leave now. I got the feeling that he hasn't been having a very good time; his friends are mostly away at college or their work schedules make it hard to get together. I thought that it was time to get that sport bike that I wanted. If I chose wisely, it would be one that I would feel good about him riding and would also satisfy my meager sporting needs.

I decided on the SV650S. With a little research, I determined what would be a reasonable price for the SV and gathered my son and we headed off to the dealer. After a little haggling, we arrived at the magic number. It took them about a half an hour to get the bike ready to go.

After the salesman gave us the obligatory orientation, my son asked for the keys to the car so that he could drive it back home. That was when I opened the trunk, pulled out the helmet, jacket, boots and gloves and handed them to him. You should have seen the look on his face. :D

I don't get to see my son that often. Once a year, maybe. I'm so proud of him, he's become an amazing young man. He's riding the bike now and will have carte blanc with it until he has to return to San Diego.

The SV will be here for him to ride when comes back again.

SV650SK7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The SV is a very capable bike on the streets and on the track! A buddy of mine has a trackbike SV we've played with with a GSXR 600 front end, brakes, new shock, Power Commander, and pipe. Thing's a blast to ride! He had a Ducati 996 before and he likes the SV better! Not quite the power, but plenty to get the job done! He says it handles better and can ride it harder than the Duc! Your boy will love it and you too! Your a pretty cool dad also! Congrats to you Bob! Enjoy the bike! Btw- we were over in your neck of the woods today! Road up to Ocala forest and road around for a while! Nice ride!

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I'm especially appreciative of the encouragement from you northern folks. I know you want to ride. Our winter is your summer. Too hot for me to ride much in this latitude during the warmer months.

The boy is still out. Hope he is remembering the break-in procedure (not very good at that myself). ;)

Track bike, yes. That is the "other" reason I chose this one. I've had lots of encouragement to get this bike for that purpose.

Excellent sport bike choice and a great story too! You got the real world version of the Ten Ninety Eight that I had recommended to you.

Wish I could be in DeLand with my folks for Christmas! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Excellent sport bike choice and a great story too! You got the real world version of the Ten Ninety Eight that I had recommended to you.
Wish I could be in DeLand with my folks for Christmas! Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Jack,

Make sure you give me jingle when you eventually make it back this way.

Great story and a great bike. I have a 01 SV650S that I use as my daily driver to work, etc. - the SV does everything very well. But it can, and I have done 300 mile days with out thinking twice about about. Long live the UJM.

Very nice BB. Sv's are great. My wife has one and I have to admit that every now and then I steal it for a quick shot at the local twisties. While the FJR definitly gets the job done in the corners, for me the SV add's a bit of "oh s**t" to the mix with it's quicker handling.

You'll love it on a track.

Yeahhhh!!! Fun and wind protection. I've only ridden the non-S model, and it was a blast. The wind kinda sucked, but then again, its not supposed to be a touring bike.

Great story and a great bike. I have a 01 SV650S that I use as my daily driver to work, etc. - the SV does everything very well. But it can, and I have done 300 mile days with out thinking twice about about. Long live the UJM.
Think I'll save the FJR for the long rides. :blink: Nice to know it can be done on the SV.

Very nice BB. Sv's are great. My wife has one and I have to admit that every now and then I steal it for a quick shot at the local twisties. While the FJR definitly gets the job done in the corners, for me the SV add's a bit of "oh s**t" to the mix with it's quicker handling.
You'll love it on a track.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the track. There's a track day with a school in March at Daytona. Think that will be my first.

Way to go Dad - and tell him thank you for me!
The way he's enjoying the bike, not sure when I'll see him again!

Yeahhhh!!! Fun and wind protection. I've only ridden the non-S model, and it was a blast. The wind kinda sucked, but then again, its not supposed to be a touring bike.
I considered the non-S model because the riding position is kinder to my middle-aged neck and back, but the S was so much cooler looking! :D

Didn't know the riding position was different. I thought they were the same bike just with/without the front farining. You learn something every day!

Didn't know the riding position was different. I thought they were the same bike just with/without the front farining. You learn something every day!
No, the S has narrow sportbike style clip-ons mounted below the triple tree. Non-S has wider conventional bars mounted on top of the triple tree.

Bob:

What a great thing to do for your son. Merry Christmas to both of you. I owned a first generation SV (non-s) and it was one of the best bikes I have ever owned. It is a good track tool too. You will be better served learning how to ride a smaller bike well than trying to control your right hand with a liter bike. Enjoy the new wheels and the time with your son this holiday.

Dave

My son is looking for a mid-sized bike but has ruled out the SV650S in favor of a FZ6. He prefers the more comfortable ergos.

Hope you and your son enjoy the SV650S.

Bob:What a great thing to do for your son. Merry Christmas to both of you. I owned a first generation SV (non-s) and it was one of the best bikes I have ever owned. It is a good track tool too. You will be better served learning how to ride a smaller bike well than trying to control your right hand with a liter bike. Enjoy the new wheels and the time with your son this holiday.

Dave
Yeah, glad I stayed away from the liter bike. As I don't think I will ride this bike a lot, it's better to have lesser investment going unused in the garage.

My son is looking for a mid-sized bike but has ruled out the SV650S in favor of a FZ6. He prefers the more comfortable ergos.
Hope you and your son enjoy the SV650S.
The FZ was a contender as well, as was the non-S SV. In the end, I liked the more sporting nature of the SV-S

What a great thing to do Bob, you're a swell dad, hope you & son get to take a ride together over the holidays.

I've ridden one of those SV's and they are nimble & fun. Have a merry holiday.