New Tires and What a Difference..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronsoto

Reaction score
Last Sunday i was going to ride Ortega Hwy with another fellow FJR rider and low and behold, just before we started off, we check our tire pressure. Well the pressure was extremely low in my rear tire, so no riding except for home.

I took the FJR in pretty much knowing that a new tire was in order with over 12K on the Bridgestone that was on her. The front tire is a Michelin Pilot Road 4, which is in great condition.

I went with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT.. and what a difference..! Hole' Mole' The difference in traction is amazing. it was almost like gliding.. and maybe (subliminally..) i felt more confident.

Yesterday, I rode Ortega Hwy. in the rain through the pass, and definitely felt more comfortable driving in the rain on the PR4GT than i did on the Bridgestone.

Am i being over zealous on this comparison?

I'm heading to Santa Maria Next Friday for a 3-day'er with the wife (about 550 to 575 miles RT,), and i'm looking forward to seeing how these will handle on the road with the wife, luggage, and me..

ron-

Glad you got the PR4. They're popular on these pages. And welcome to the site.

You asked about being overzealous.

Na. At least nobody caught you trying to hug your new tire...

Gary

darksider #44

IMG_0154.jpg

And at least you weren't guilty of rambling on for 200 plus pages about the KIND of tire you chose like SOME people around here...

CLICKY HERE

Last Sunday i was going to ride Ortega Hwy with another fellow FJR rider and low and behold, just before we started off, we check our tire pressure. Well the pressure was extremely low in my rear tire, so no riding except for home.
I took the FJR in pretty much knowing that a new tire was in order with over 12K on the Bridgestone that was on her. The front tire is a Michelin Pilot Road 4, which is in great condition.

I went with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT.. and what a difference..! Hole' Mole' The difference in traction is amazing. it was almost like gliding.. and maybe (subliminally..) i felt more confident.

Yesterday, I rode Ortega Hwy. in the rain through the pass, and definitely felt more comfortable driving in the rain on the PR4GT than i did on the Bridgestone.

I'm heading to Santa Maria Next Friday for a 3-day'er with the wife (about 550 to 575 miles RT,), and i'm looking forward to seeing how these will handle on the road with the wife, luggage, and me..

ron-
If that was 12,000 miles on the OEM Bridgestone then it went for about 7000 miles further than most people run them! Seriously, ANY new tire feels so much nicer than the old rubber. Keep the pressure near the recommended max and it will last. Anywhere from 5 to 25 thousand miles. Not kidding - the range of reported mileage on tires is amazing. (I get on the order of 12-15 thousand miles (F42 psi, R 44 psi).

You're not being over zealous Ron...fresh rubber is always a pleasant surprise!

With the mileage you got from the 'stone, you'll have a lot of (s)miles with the PR4. Ride wise, I've found PR4's are one of the softest riding tires around, it's almost like a "magic carpet" ride, especially the rear tire.

--G

Glad you got the PR4. They're popular on these pages. And welcome to the site. You asked about being overzealous.

Na. At least nobody caught you trying to hug your new tire...

Gary

darksider #44

IMG_0154.jpg

And at least you weren't guilty of rambling on for 200 plus pages about the KIND of tire you chose like SOME people around here...

CLICKY HERE
no.. definitely not guilty of hugging my tires.. lol....

You're not being over zealous Ron...fresh rubber is always a pleasant surprise!
With the mileage you got from the 'stone, you'll have a lot of (s)miles with the PR4. Ride wise, I've found PR4's are one of the softest riding tires around, it's almost like a "magic carpet" ride, especially the rear tire.

--G
+1 Totally Agree

ron-
If that was 12,000 miles on the OEM Bridgestone then it went for about 7000 miles further than most people run them! Seriously, ANY new tire feels so much nicer than the old rubber. Keep the pressure near the recommended max and it will last. Anywhere from 5 to 25 thousand miles. Not kidding - the range of reported mileage on tires is amazing. (I get on the order of 12-15 thousand miles (F42 psi, R 44 psi).
thanks Ross, i'll check the pressure and set as required.. i appreciate the help.

r-

As noted above, the OEM Bridgestones are NOT the same as new T30EVO-GTs.

I've been trying out a bunch of different brands/models. The T30EVO-GTs are my favorite, and NOT just because they're a lot cheaper than PR4s.

That said, ride whatever makes you most comfortable on your bike.