New (to me) 2003 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairytat

Reaction score
I picked up my 2003 FJR today. Traded in my VTX. It's a whole new adventure in riding for me and one I welcome. The VTX was a great cruise bike but I found myself being held back by it on the twisties. I'm thrilled with the FJR. It's not new, it's got some miles on it but it's a one owner and I got all the service records so I know how meticulously it was maintained.

Headed out tomorrow with my friend, who rides an Aprilla, to learn the ins and outs of the new baby. I'm excited to try her out!

Just wanted to say hello and let you guys know I'm going to be around asking some questions and looking for tips. Glad to find this place.

You are going to really like your new bike. Have a fun ride tomorrow. Careful of cheek cramps from excessive smiling! :D

And wow, you have nice twisties near you. VTX wouldn't hold you back much here in Dallas, but wow are you going to have fun on your new scoot. Welcome aboard!

I picked up my 2003 FJR today. Traded in my VTX. It's a whole new adventure in riding for me and one I welcome. The VTX was a great cruise bike but I found myself being held back by it on the twisties. I'm thrilled with the FJR. It's not new, it's got some miles on it but it's a one owner and I got all the service records so I know how meticulously it was maintained.

Headed out tomorrow with my friend, who rides an Aprilla, to learn the ins and outs of the new baby. I'm excited to try her out!

Just wanted to say hello and let you guys know I'm going to be around asking some questions and looking for tips. Glad to find this place.
You said, "glad to find this place." Hmm. Like any forum we can get a little opinionated, but I think you'll find an unusual and refreshing amount of info and available help here. Welcome aboard. So, tell us about your new ride. Color, price, farkles, miles, maintenance done, etc. We'd also like to hear about your thoughts on the difference between the VTX and your new ride. Gives us something to say when we get to braggin' around VTX lovers. Of course we would NEVER put down ANY other motorcycle...

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the FJR acquisition - I also just got on least Thursday... I second the "cheek cramp" comment... lots of smiles Enjoy!!! :D

Welcome...to the best forum, on the best bike, in the best color you can find. ;)

I heartily await your first ride report. (SEG is my new favorite acronym). :yahoo:

Hey is this a trend? Cruiser to FJR or are we just a bit slow on the uptake?lol Hey no comments from the peanut gallery! :D I have to say it's one of the best decisions I've made in a long while, but the farkle thing is making the wallet thin, but you only live once!

Last edited by a moderator:

Congrats and ride safe. I came from a big crusier (Stratoliner)a few weeks ago and now have 1300 miles on my 2011 FJR.

All I can say is why did I wait so long ????

You said, "glad to find this place." Hmm. Like any forum we can get a little opinionated, but I think you'll find an unusual and refreshing amount of info and available help here. Welcome aboard.

So, tell us about your new ride. Color, price, farkles, miles, maintenance done, etc. We'd also like to hear about your thoughts on the difference between the VTX and your new ride. Gives us something to say when we get to braggin' around VTX lovers. Of course we would NEVER put down ANY other motorcycle...

Gary

darksider #44
I have to admit I've cruised around several forums for the FJR to see which would be the most informative and worth becoming part of the community and this one seems to be the one. :)

So, the new ride,,,, 2003 Silver, bought from the original owner (who bought a new one). It has 90K on the odometer but I know it was meticulously maintained so I took a chance. They're kinda hard to come by used around the southeast so when this one came up I jumped.

It has all 3 pieces of the factory luggage, heated grips, 12v outlet (mounted nicely in the fairing) and risers. Other than that it is stock.

I rode it 350 miles on Sunday getting to know her and had a smile on my face most of the day from the sheer enjoyment of the curves in the TN back roads in my area. There is no comparison to the VTX. I bought it new in 2006 and loved her while I owned her but my riding skills and interests had just outgrown her. I was actually wearing away the frame from trying to lean as far into curves and I wanted to go. The VTX is a wonderful cruiser. It's smooth, well balanced and reliable. I would recommend them to anyone who is a cruiser rider. I switched because of a personal desire to get more vertical. :)

I tried the Concours and wasn't impressed. I looked at the Honda ST but there was just something not quite right about the feel so I didn't even ride it. When this FJR came up for sale and I went to see it I was immediately impressed and knew that the FJR was the fit for me.

I've owned it less than a week and already have gotten "That's a pretty powerful bike for a girl" comment. I love and hate the guys that say that kind of stuff. I hate that they immediately assume that the bike might be too much for me. I love when I tell them I've been riding since I was 8 and one of my friends will usually tell them that I can blow their doors off in the twisties. I do realize that it's an unusual bike for a 45 year old women. I also think it might be the perfect fit for me right now.

ooooh no, don't be askin bout the service manuals. Buy one from a dealer, the pdf's are illegal copies and strictly no no around here.

Congrats on the new bike. You said you were looking to get more vertical? Did you mean more horizontal? Glad you are enjoying the bike, I'm jealous as heck about your local roads.

I am impressed! 1 day of riding and we already need a new windshield and a service manual! We struggled for months before getting the courage to make changes. At first we felt guilty about making changes to such a wonderful bike, but now it is like buying jewelry for your significant other. You are only doing it to dress her nicer, not to change her.

BTW, you needed to take pics and do a ride report...

ooooh no, don't be askin bout the service manuals. Buy one from a dealer, the pdf's are illegal copies and strictly no no around here.

Congrats on the new bike. You said you were looking to get more vertical? Did you mean more horizontal? Glad you are enjoying the bike, I'm jealous as heck about your local roads.
Yep, just read that. I took it down. Guess I'm too used to those dang Honda folks. Thanks for the heads up tho. :D