New to me 2008 FZ1-$4850

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky

Reaction score
Well, yesterday I closed the deal on a 2008 FZ1 from a private party seller on craigslist. 10k miles. loaded with farkles including Penske 8983 rear shock, power commander with ignition module, Pazzo levers, Yamaha Racing GYTR carbon slip-on with midpipe, RSC steering damper, Ivans FCE, newer Michelin PR2's, flush front turn lights and other lesser add-ons. Seller gave me a pile of receipts and looks like he spent a solid $3k on farkles not including the tires.

I have been looking for a Gen II FZ1 for a while and I thought this was a good deal. Seller was my age, about 60 so not concerned about the bike being overly pushed or abused. Beautiful bike. Looks almost like brand new. Nice exhaust note without being overpowering. Seller had the bike on the dyno after having the power commander put on and the charts show 153 rear wheel h.p. Isn't that about 20 hp over stock?

Will put pictures on soon. Xmas is soon and since I am an xmas baby and get screwed every year I have to look after myself.

By the way, when I stopped off at Adventure Motorsports in Monroe, they had a new 2013 FJR on the floor. But to rich for me. I will leave it for those with the big $$$ to spend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you got a good deal there. I balled up my FZ1 in July and the insurance company gave me $7050.00 for the bike plus more for the accessories.

Holy hell that is a GREAT deal! I am trying to find one for the wife and I am not finding anything even CLOSE to that price! Congrats.
Just keep looking. Out here 08 FZ1s are advertised on c/l in the $6k range and that is with few if any farkles. I was checking twice a day, morning and early evening and when this one showed up I pounced. I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the ad. And I even thought about not even responding since I was sure I would be only one in a long line of responses. When the seller doesn't put a phone number and all you can do is reply to the post you are really at their mercy. He emailed me back in about 2 hours and said I was #1 in line and he had gotten tons of emails back.

Headed right over, about a 15 mile drive and we did the deal right then. By the way in my email response to him, I said I was very serious and had cash in hand. That talks. Alot of people want to buy, but have to arrange financing or want to sit on the fence for awhile, etc. When a great deal shows up, you have to really pounce fast and with cash in hand.

This seller could have easily gotten $1k more. Maybe even $2k more than that without breaking a sweat. I feel lucky.

Smoking deal. Congrats! I love my '06. Never any problems. 35,000 miles of joy.

Upgrade your seat, and 500+ mile days are easy.

Enjoy!

I love my FZ1, my favorite.

DSC01691.jpg

Smoking deal. Congrats! I love my '06. Never any problems. 35,000 miles of joy. Upgrade your seat, and 500+ mile days are easy. Enjoy!

What seat would you recommend for long distance comfort?
I had a Sargent on my FZ1, better than stock to keep big Jim and the Twins off the fuel tank but it was not any softer for the buns.

Drop 1 tooth on front sprocket it will really wake up the low end.
Already done by the seller when he had it. Finally got a chance to take it out as after a week of rain we finally got a dry day, even though a bit chilly at about 46 F. Fantastic acceleration and handling. Probably will upgrade to a windscreen with better wind protection like a ceebailey +5+5 with a light grey tint. Evidently it also has a slight reverse flip too.

Wow! I'm bummed how cheap these things have gotten.... I guess I'm keeping mine forever

I tried a Sargent just like Bug - shaped better with cheek support instead of sitting on a ridge like the stocker, but man was it hard - almost zero padding so overall not much better. I'm riding on the stock seat again since my long range riding needs are covered by the FJR.

You might look into Russell Day-Long - they sell a sport-touring saddle that's not quite as cushy as the Day Long but might be a good option if you want to ride a lot of miles on the FZ.

Sargent uses their own pan so you can keep your stock seat. I used my Sargent for close to 10k miles and it looked as good as new when I sold it separately before selling my FZ1.

Smoking deal. Congrats! I love my '06. Never any problems. 35,000 miles of joy. Upgrade your seat, and 500+ mile days are easy. Enjoy!

What seat would you recommend for long distance comfort?
I enjoyed my Yamaha gel seat for 25,000 miles. Then I got my original stock seat done by member dirt road, on the FZ1OA forum.

Even better! 400 mile days are easy. And the two trips of 700+ mile days to get to/from Arkansas were manageable.