New to me motorcycle dead - 2007AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me, guys, whether I agree with you or not, that telling somebody that has just purchased a new bike, that it's really not the right bike for him, is just wrong. Words of caution, wisdom, and help (when that is what he asked for!), I'm sure are appreciated, but a lot of folk kicking in their opinions on whether or not he's made a mistake. . . Maybe that's just me, but you guys have helped me, a lot, in the past, and that's kind of what I think that the forum is for.

For my own advice, bikerbuddha, I would strongly advise you to take a riding/safety course, and do a lot of riding and practicing, in a baseball or football parking lot, when there are no cars there. As other people have stated, it's a big, heavy and powerful bike, and if it's your first, you need to be extremely careful, and just at first. Strap on your paranoia, along with your helmet, every time you go out, because most of the people in cars aren't going to be looking out for you!

Oh, yeah, and if the bike doesn't have them, order a set of frame sliders, because sooner or later, you'll be thankful that you have them.

Good luck, bro!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good comments, beacher.

I started riding a VStar 950 after a 30-year break (kids grew up and graduated from college) and followed the same advice. It was a big (to me), intimidating bike, but I took the MSF course on that bike, and earned my MC driver's license endorsement.

The biggest help involved spray painting little spots on the top floor of a nearby parking deck. The spots marked relevant points of the Georgia motorcycle license driving test. I drove those wigglies, U-turns, stops-in-a-box, and slow speed maneuvers at least once a week for the year I owned that bike, and the practice sessions resulted in confidence that I had made the correct decision to get a big bike fresh out of the gate.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - the yellow light that comes on when you try to start the bike can be caused by the kickstand being down.

I have to agree about this as a first bike. The FJR is technically my 7th bike, and certainly a lot to handle.

Latest posts