newbie "definition" thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

818Guy

Reaction score
Hi. I'm picking up my 2006 AE this weekend and as I'm surfing the site I find myself at a loss understanding some of the FJR lingo.

For example, what's a slider and what is it's purpose?

Just want to suggest a possible sticky thread with commonly used terms and their meaning.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, if someone could tell me what a slider is and what it is supposed to do, that'd be great. ;)

Hi. I'm picking up my 2006 AE this weekend and as I'm surfing the site I find myself at a loss understanding some of the FJR lingo.
For example, what's a slider and what is it's purpose?

Just want to suggest a possible sticky thread with commonly used terms and their meaning.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, if someone could tell me what a slider is and what it is supposed to do, that'd be great. ;)
It's a pitch thrown to deceive batters by putting a lateral spin on the ball, curving it away from the hitter. Usually thrown at a higher velocity than the curve ball. I can't think of a better definition, maybe TWN can?

armor01.jpg

Sliders are meant to absorb the impact of a crash and deform so they don't transmit the crash energy to the frame and/or fairing. I personally haven't read of any serious impacts that the all-metal ones have taken nor have I seen how they work under those circumstances.

I have read of someone who dropped a bike with an all-metal slider and chipped the pavement of the driveway. That means the concrete gave before the slider did (for the mechanics of that particular situation). Would something that rigid protect the frame or transmit all the energy to the frame instead? I can't say and no one's answered that question yet with a real world test (AFAIK).

But I have to admit that they have a significant bling factor to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sliders are meant to absorb the impact of a crash and deform so they don't transmit the crash energy to the frame and/or fairing. I personally haven't read of any serious impacts that the all-metal ones have taken nor have I seen how they work under those circumstances.
A couple of years ago, in a universe far, far away, someone posted pictures of a "get-off" (around 45-50 mph?)and the damage. IIRC, the slider bobbin and the handlebar end took most of the punishment. Yes, the body was scuffed and cracked but the bike was indeed "rideable", rather than having the engine cases ground through to "oil" or the frame being ground away by the road surface. The sliders did their job.

Thanks for the posts. I knew that traditional sliders worked and have seen the photo evidence along with the reports. I don't see an all metal one working like that though and those are the reports that haven't come in yet.

Thanks for the info. I was reading other threads on sliders but there really wasn't a "definition" per se. What confused me was reading a thread and someone wrote the sliders weren't necessarily "tip over" protection. That's what raised my suspicion on what they are supposed to do.

B)

We weren't done playing, dad. Sheesh....you ruin everything. Sliders are oysters where I come from. lol

This is from a 2004 FJR1300, where an aluminum bracket is needed to install the slider.

In this lowsider the bike was moving at maybe 20-30MPH and the slider absorbed part of the bike's weight and its forward momentum. The bracket was bent out of shape and the steel bolt very nearly torn off.

Stef

Where's rad with his White Castle sliders for this thread? He must have actual work to do, or maybe he's loaded up his land yacht and left for WFO already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ScrapeApe had the best answer and the typical forum answer. :D

Good for you 818 for not whining about the sarcasm like some do. :clapping:

Thanks for the posts. I knew that traditional sliders worked and have seen the photo evidence along with the reports. I don't see an all metal one working like that though and those are the reports that haven't come in yet.
I've got Bike-Johnny sliders...like the idea of the energy being scrubbed and absorbed more by the slider material.

That would be nice for the new guys, but kills the fun for the old guys. Humor us, ask what chicken strips are :D