Newbie Gen2 Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frewil

Reaction score
Does the new to me 2008 1300A have side Panel adjustments to re-direct heat?

I have looked in the manual and performed a Search on the Board and cannot find the answer.

Any info or a link to the information will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the new to me 2008 1300A have side Panel adjustments to re-direct heat? I have looked in the manual and performed a Search on the Board and cannot find the answer.

Any info or a link to the information will be appreciated.
This is one of the age old questions of the FJR. In the summer with the side panels open, (flipped out position) and sitting at a red light with the fans running, you might feel a slight rush of hot air comming out of them. Key word is might. Other than that, good luck noticing any difference ever.

Did you look here?
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660

edit. I just noticed that the photos linked in the bin of facts do not show a photo of the adjustable side vents. Perhaps this can be fixed. It only shows the front dash vent not the adjustable side vents.

A photo of the adjustable panels you speak of can be seen here:

https://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.p...8d3be98ec2a69fd

KM
Thanks for the info.
upthumbs.gif

very easy to do so give it a try.

i always pop them out about Thanksgiving and then back in at Easter.

does it have any effect, i couldn't tell you. does it cause any harm...absolutely not...well aside from some calling it ugly.

When you close them back up, make sure they are still properly hinged.

They have been known to "fly away" at high speed. :eek:hno-smiley02:

very easy to do so give it a try.
i always pop them out about Thanksgiving and then back in at Easter.

does it have any effect, i couldn't tell you. does it cause any harm...absolutely not...well aside from some calling it ugly.
Well........ if you don't seat the panel correctly when you move it out, it can fly off and hit the pavement at 80 mph. Hurts when it bounces off your thigh.

Do NOT ask me how I know this.

They have zero effect. Useless. But really not needed on the 08, at least from my perspective. It is very hot and humid here in SC during the summer, and the 08 does a pretty fair job of keeping the hot air off the pilot. In traffic, I have passed lots of air-cooled bikes pulled off the road because of overheating. Even when it's that hot, the hot air management of the 08 is really good. Much better than any other liquid-cooled bike I have ridden lately. :rolleyes:

All the side panels do is divert outside air away from the rider. When stopped (assuming no wind), they do virtually nothing, even with the cooling fan running (I stand to be corrected on this, it's rare my fan comes on here in the
cold.gif
UK).

So, if the ambient temperature is very hot, panels out will make you feel less hot.

If the temperature is very cold, panels out will make you feel less cold.

If you're stuck in traffic, it doesn't make any difference (caveat on possible cooling fan effect).

So, whether or not they make you feel warmer or colder when they're out depends on the weather.

Personally, I always leave them in; I agree with fastpappy, the bike looks 'orrible with them out, and to keep moving them will weaken those nasty spring hinge things:

(click on image for larger view)

And as Capt. Bob and ShinyPartsUp say, that would risk the wings flying off
bye.gif

I find that I'm warmer with them out. I can't say this is just because of the "wing" position,because I installed a Cee Bailey's windshield at the same time that I adjusted them. As Murphy's Law would have it,there were some warm days after the shield install/wing adjustment, and I was definitely warmer. I believe the cooling fans will put a little more hot air on your legs with them open also. They will be going back in,and the stock shield going back on,in the spring.

Mike

Only difference is that it's ugly with the panels out. :blink:
I agree,there is an appearance penalty. Though it is nothing compared to leaving the windshield up,which so many apparently like to do. I had it up to clean it, and stepped back to see how it looked. I couldn't believe how hideous my beautiful FJR was! I put it up while riding to stay warm and dry,but I would always put it back down when parked,even if it didn't have the nifty auto-retract feature.

Mike

I can't believe this hasn't ended up in NEPRT yet?!

I looked at the design of the flaps and don't see where they duct hot air anywhere. My experience is that they help keep your legs warmer by blocking cold air from blowing on them. This morning, for instance, found me commuting in 23 degree weather and when it gets that cold it's important to keep air from blasting body parts.

I'll agree with posts 13 & 16...... us guys who have ridden in colder/wetter stuff will benefit slightly from the cold/wet stuff being deflected away... there is no other functional purpose that can be seen behind the panels... when my other biking buddies notice, it's a good conversation piece. For those that are stopped at a light, IMHO whether the panels are in or out, the heat accumulates in the fairing and you will feel a rush of hotter air when you take off... but not for long. I don't think they are really that ugly when they're out... you get used to it.