Newbie question - Which bike to get?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am neither a FJR owner nor am I a motorcycle owner at present. I am in the market for a bike but I have a few obstacles to overcome:

1) I fall in love with every bike I ride

2) I can only afford one bike, making #1 above a huge problem

3) I want a bike that I can ride comfortably to the beach and back on a Sunday for lunch (6 hrs round trip), look "cool" on Friday night and ride the Tail of the Dragon without much drama.

4) I have to join groups like yours to troll and lurk to see what owners REALLY think about their bikes

5) I've yet to find someone who will tell me that their bike is absolute crap and that they should've bought a __________. Everyone tells me that their bike is the most awesome one.

6) I have to make the right choice for this, my first bike, because my wife isn't happy about me buying one in the first place and this could be my last one.

I would appreciate some (hopefully unbiased) suggestions or opinions on my "short list":

FJR1300

ST1300

HD Softail

HD Road Glide

Valkyrie

Star Raider

Thanks,

Charles

ps...I have searched for similar threads and I know there are some comparisons in various old posts but I am attempting to introduce myself while getting specific suggestions based on my "short list" of mainly dissimilar bikes. If I am breaking a forum rule, please lock or delete my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy and welcome!

Put 'Suzuki VStrom' on that list, that's probably a better first bike than an FJR or ST1300. Since friends don't let friends buy cruisers I can't recommend the other bikes on your list.

Howdy and welcome!

Put 'Suzuki VStrom' on that list, that's probably a better first bike than an FJR or ST1300. Since friends don't let friends buy cruisers I can't recommend the other bikes on your list.
Thanks for the welcome and suggestion and I will investigate and consider the Suzuki. I put the cruisers in the mix because I rode a friend's FZ1 for a long (for me) trip and I was sore as heck for a day or two afterwards. It was nimble and wicked fast but not comfortable after an hour or so. Maybe there are some adjustments that could've been made?

CK

Hello all,

I would appreciate some (hopefully unbiased) suggestions or opinions on my "short list":

FJR1300

ST1300

HD Softail

HD Road Glide

Valkyrie

Star Raider
A very nice list, but nothing there I'd pick for a beginner. I'd say go for a cheap <$1000 beater bike till your skills are ready for a more expensive bike. There's a plenty of them out there. A bike that would be a able to grow with your skills would be a SV 650. It's a sporty ride in skilled hands, but not overly intimidating for a newbie, it's also an interstate capable commuter.

JMHO YMMV

I agree with putting 'Suzuki VStrom' on the list, would add Kawasaki Versys or Ninja 250, 500, or 650.

In other words I'd recommend something lighter, more upright, and reliable.

I'd been 25 years without a bike when I got a "first" bike four years ago. My Buell Ulysses was light and upright, but not reliable; four drive belt failures in 32,000 miles had me do a chain conversion, then the electrical gremlins arrived - there were other failures along the way. All told, that HD product left me stranded 11 times in 40,000 miles. Get a Japanese bike.

I think that the FJR will do everything you want but only you can decide what looks cool. i just rode my softail from DC area to Sturgis and back and I can tell you that it's not meant to be a touring bike. The Valkyrie is WAY to big for a new rider.

I'd recommend a smaller bike to start out on (750 or so) and move up after you've ridden for a while.

Great advice folks. I am leery of 750's and below because I have, to quote the movie Tommy Boy, "a bit of a weight problem". I am 6' 280#. Now that I've bared my soul...is this a displacement problem or urban legend?

Great advice folks. I am leery of 750's and below because I have, to quote the movie Tommy Boy, "a bit of a weight problem". I am 6' 280#. Now that I've bared my soul...is this a displacement problem or urban legend?

Basically same as me when i started. I would also suggest a bit small bike to get going. I started with a Honda Transalp 600 twin. I would also recomend the Vstrom 650. I am thinking of adding one to the stable. Great looking bike and bullet proof from all i have seen.

Josh

3) I want a bike that I can ride comfortably to the beach and back on a Sunday for lunch (6 hrs round trip), look "cool" bar-hopping on Friday night and ride the Tail of the Dragon without much drama.

FJR1300

ST1300

HD Softail

HD Road Glide

Valkyrie

Star Raider

Thanks,

Charles
IMHO, no bike is good for bar-hopping on a Friday night. ;)

+1 on what the others have said with smaller bikes. The FJR is a beast in disguise. :D

Charles,

Keep in mind, the Sport Touring Bike Position is one of the best and easiest for the body. Many have stated that they had back problems on a cruiser that did not exist with the FJR/Sport Touring bike.

Just something to keep in mind... good luck with your decision.

Welcome from SoCal.

ps...I have searched for similar threads and I know there are some comparisons in various old posts but I am attempting to introduce myself while getting specific suggestions based on my "short list" of mainly dissimilar bikes. If I am breaking a forum rule, please lock or delete my post.
NO WAY! And not ridicule you and do a midweek dog-pile? Never!

1) I fall in love with every bike I ride You're a bike whore, welcome to the club.

2) I can only afford one bike, making #1 above a huge problem Banks have lots of money... just sayin'.

3) I want a bike that I can ride comfortably to the beach and back on a Sunday for lunch (6 hrs round trip), look "cool" bar-hopping on Friday night and ride the Tail of the Dragon without much drama. PULLEEASE! I'll leave this one alone, thank you very much.

4) I have to join groups like yours to troll and lurk to see what owners REALLY think about their bikes Excellnt researching! Props to you.

5) I've yet to find someone who will tell me that their bike is absolute crap and that they should've bought a __________. Everyone tells me that their bike is the most awesome one. Yep a little biased we all are...

6) I have to make the right choice for this, my first bike, because my wife isn't happy about me buying one in the first place and this could be my last one. Big question here is which is cheaper a new wife or a new bike?

FJR1300 My choice period!

ST1300 UGLY!

HD Softail I've owned a Fatboy, was great looking cool and not much else, although at least you're riding a bike.

HD Road Glide

Valkyrie

Star Raider

Charles - Your "short list" is rather diverse. Two sport touring bikes, two HD cruisers, and the others. Which one will really make you happy? I had an HD, was fun for a while, vibrated my hands, butt, and feet like I was holding and sitting on a chain saw. I don't care for cruisers. Sport Touring bikes are comfy and will do better on longer rides.

Good luck.

One of the bike you did not mention and is cool and easy to ride cheap to maintain and has a great warranty is a Triumph. The Bonneville Line are 900 CC and not so heavy that they are hard to control. They are low to the ground and the coolness comes from the fact that at some time in every ones life they either rode one or owned one and they have lots of great tradition. Something to think about. The rest of the quotes are right on track. Have fun, I only have 1 and my wife says I can have 4 if I can afford the taxes. The question is I can only ride 1 at a time so what would my next favorite bike be. An FJR :lol:

I wholeheartedly agree about starting with a smaller bike. But for future reference, I have both a FJR and a Valk. Very much different bikes. The FJR has awesome power, great brakes, nice protection from the elements, and is very sure-footed. Mine gets 45 MPG plus. The FJR has some handlebar and peg vibrations at certain RPMs. And fuel injection is nice, especially starting on cool days.

The Valk has plenty of power, above average brakes, less protection from the elements, great "cool" factor, low center of gravity (COG)and handles very well. It is heavy, about 715 lbs dry for the Tourer, but easy to "muscle" around in the garage because of low COG. It is a somewhat complex machine because of 6-cylinders and 6 carbs. No problem starting on cool days but has a manual choke with has to be fiddled with in the winter. Absolutely NO vibrations! More comfortable seating position for me with an Ultimate seat with a driver's backrest. Much worse MPG than the FJR.

Both bikes are very dependable with the FJR requiring a little less maintenance. I love both bikes!

Hello all,

I am neither a FJR owner nor am I a motorcycle owner at present. I am in the market for a bike but I have a few obstacles to overcome:

1) I fall in love with every bike I ride

2) I can only afford one bike, making #1 above a huge problem

3) I want a bike that I can ride comfortably to the beach and back on a Sunday for lunch (6 hrs round trip), look "cool" on Friday night and ride the Tail of the Dragon without much drama.

4) I have to join groups like yours to troll and lurk to see what owners REALLY think about their bikes

5) I've yet to find someone who will tell me that their bike is absolute crap and that they should've bought a __________. Everyone tells me that their bike is the most awesome one.

6) I have to make the right choice for this, my first bike, because my wife isn't happy about me buying one in the first place and this could be my last one.

FJR1300

ST1300

HD Softail

HD Road Glide

Valkyrie

Star Raider

Thanks,

Charles

Charles, I am a newby here and can only offer info on the Valkyrie. I had a 2000 Valk standard for about 8 years. I, like you, had the urge to get a bike in 2000. My first bike was a Honda 1100 Saber. After 6 months and 13000 miles, I wanted a bike I felt could handle many, many miles. After lots of looking, I found a used Valk. Man, I loved that bike. I put a fortune in farkles on it. It had so much chrome that it looked like a mirror driving down the highway. The bike has tons of tork and will pull like a tractor. It has to be the easiest bike to maintain that was made. Valve adjustments/checks were so simple. Everything was right there for easy access. Changing the oil was nothing. Oil filter on the bottom front of the engine, drain plug at bottom, filler on side. Final drive fluid same. Plugs, easy access. There is simply no reason to take a valkyrie standard into a dealership for any service. I put in 600+ mile days and would be no less tired that if I had driven that far in a car. I had the hondaline windshield and a corbin seat, which added to the comfort. As far as the weight, the Valk has a very low center of gravity and sits low, so it was very easy to flatfoot. 5'9" here. Never came close to dropping it. Once you were underway, the weight disappears. The 1100 seemed heavier with the V twin giving it a higher center of gravity. It won't take twisties like the other bikes you mentioned, but anytime I pulled up at a watering hole, it almost got funny with people gathering around my bike to look at it. My harley buds got mad at me if i parked near them because the Valk drew all the attention. Don't worry about your size, this bike can easily handle it. If you go to www.valkyrieriders.com, you will find the most knowledgeable people about that bike anywhere. I once installed a light bar on the bike and hooked it up incorrectly. I burned out the starter switch. The only thing I knew what that when I pressed the starter button, nothing happened. I posted this on the board and in about 2 hours, I had the solution of taking apart the starter switch, sanding the contacts, re-installing, and, someone even sent me a wiring diagram on the correct way to install the light bar using a relay. Wow, and all worked perfectly for the remaining years I had it.

They stopped making the Valk standard in 2003, and I got the urge for another bike. I ended up trading it in on a BMW K1200LT. Now, it rides great, but I do miss the Valk. Also, I thought it was amazing how the Valk retained its value. I got 7K on trade in and only paid 10K for the bike after keeping it 8 years and 40K miles. I did add a lot of accessories, but you never get much back on those. The engine is bulletproof, as well as the rest of the bike. I began to worry about availability of parts from Honda since production stopped in 2003, but that may not have even been an issue. Oh, and I know of no other bike that can do the nickle trick. This amazed the Harley owners, the engine ran so smooth that I could balance a nickle on its edge on the block of the engine. I could crank it up, take it to 4000 rpms and the nickle would not fall over, just balance on its edge and spin slowly. (Just for kicks)

Anyway, sorry I went for so long, but hope this helps...

John

FJR1300

ST1300

HD Softail

HD Road Glide

Valkyrie

Star Raider

Thanks,

Charles
Just because no one else has suggested this yet... if you haven't ridden for a while, taking an Advanced Rider's course or even the regular MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course might be a good thing. Just to refresh your memory and there's always something new to learn. It also might be a good thing as far as the "wife" stuff is concerned... us ladies are always concerned about safety.... <_<

The suggestions are all good, but you've got lots of big bikes listed...

I loved my FJR, but it was physically too big for me... (getting old, no cash, and having a short inseam totally sucks big time)

No idea about the Honda ST. Love the Valks, but they are cruisers, so are the Yamahas.

I still have my Harley (2003 Softail Deuce), it ain't a tourer,but it doesn't know that.

Check out the Triumphs... I've seen some big guys riding them. The closest H-D to a sport touring bike is the Road Glide..at least the riding position is similar. For longer distances, sitting upright with your weight on your legs instead of your butt is way more comfortable. Cruiser riding can be much more tiring, especially when the wind is blowing. All day. They may look cool, but I'll take comfort over cool any day.

If you're bar hopping, take a cage and have a designated driver. Period.

One bike you didn't suggest is a GoldWing. No problem hauling anything around. they can handle better than you think. My b.f. has a 1994 with 226,000 miles, his friend has a 2004. Big difference. The 2004 also has a car tire and is much lower. For an 870 lb bike it's really easy to throw around. But it's like sitting in a recliner in your living room.

Have fun deciding...

mary

I am in the market for a bike but I have a few obstacles to overcome:6) I have to make the right choice for this, my first bike,

...my "short list":

FJR1300

ST1300

HD Softail

HD Road Glide

Valkyrie

Star Raider
I am leery of 750's and below because...I am 6' 280#...is this a displacement problem or urban legend?
Charles, get the biggest, most powerful, heaviest damn bike you can find for your first bike -- that way there'll be no need to trade-up, 'graduate', to a real motorcycle later. And, everyone will recognize your motorcycle prowess immediately b/c you've got the biggest damn thing out there...!

In fact, the biggest damn Harley you can find should satisy -- and, you can sell it for a profit when you're through with it (...so I hear?).

NOT

(Friday came late this week...) ;)

Really Charles -- there was a time when 1300cc motorcycles didn't even exist -- yet folks rode everywhere. Seems like you've got some pretty exacting requirements for your 1st bike?

Why not just get a motorcycle? Modern 750cc bikes make around 100 HP (enough...?) In many/most cases -- a new rider's first bike is far from his/her last. Experience teaches and that knowledge determines a rider's choices.

Good luck.

I would choose the FJR if I were you. The FJR feels much lighter and handier than the ST1300, which is way too heavy for a first bike. The V-Strom DL1000 would be OK, too.

A fas ar a first cruiser, if you go that route get a Honda VTX, the 1800 is better than the 1300, better brakes and also fuel injection. I have owned three VTX's. Good luck, you will be glad that you bought a good bike.

If you're referring to a cruiser style 750, I would agree. On a more sport-oriented engine, such as the SV650 or V-Strom, or Versys, etc, 600-650cc should be plenty.

My personal experience: My first bike was a Honda Shadow 750. I ended up selling it three days later 'cause I already outgrew it. I got on an SV650 (100cc smaller in displacement), and scared myself. Of course, now that I've been riding a while and eventually got my FJR, the SV feels slow ;)

The point being, don't jump straight to a super high HP bike like the FJR or ST or Concours...you'll likely end up hurting yourself.