No front tire tread left after only 3k miles???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone12

Reaction score
I picked up my brand new 2008 in April of this year. I have been living in a different state due to work so I haven't got to put many miles on it so far.

I took it on my first big trip and noticed when I got there that my stock Bridgestone front tire has no tread left. :blink: I'm already down even to the wear strips on both sides and the center still has a little tread remaining, but not much before it's is smooth as well. The rear tire looks almost new, good tread and everything. My previous bike I ran Dunlops and was able to get about 17-20k out of my front and 10-12k out of the rear.

I don't ride that aggressively and have never been hard on the front or back brakes. I check my tire pressure once or twice a month, since it usually sits for a few weeks at a time. Tire pressure was at 39 per the manual (measured cold) before I left on the trip and after I returned. I like to ride the twisties, but again, not overly aggressive. I checked the brake pads on the front and all seem to be at almost new thickness so I don't think it's a stuck caliper.

Has anyone ever heard of a bad tire that wears too quickly? I plan to call the dealer tomorrow, to see what they say about a warranty claim. I understand tires as a normal wear and tear item, but after only 3k and no signs of misuse, I'm going to see what they come up with... We'll see.

The -021 front is world-renowned for suckage. 3 or 4 thou is what folks get out of them.

The rear is a decent tire. I got 11K on my first, and I'm well on my way to that on my second.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pushing my stock 021 on my 2008 to try to get it to 5k. 4.3k it was toast. Get a Pilot or similar, the back tire it not too bad , but it was the first bike I had the front go first.

The stock rubber is just there to protect the rim until you can get a set of PR 2's B)

I had a set of pr2s on a suzuki bandit and the front did the same thing. Ive tried many different brands and havent found any that last. Watch air pressure closley and always end up with un-even wear or cupping. This tire thing really pisses me off

My o21 front was the worst so far. I liked the Metzler z6 Roadtec the best, I got 8k out of it, the most of any so far. I don't like the wear pattern of any of the dual compond tires but I guess it depends on how you ride.

My o21 front was the worst so far. I liked the Metzler z6 Roadtec the best, I got 8k out of it, the most of any so far. I don't like the wear pattern of any of the dual compond tires but I guess it depends on how you ride.
Well thats one brand i havent tried, maybe ill give metzlers a try

Well thats one brand i havent tried, maybe ill give metzlers a try

You'll find that tires are a constant topic for discussion here. You can't extrapolate your results with a particular model of tire on a different bike to the FJR. Take a look at the threads here that talk about tires and you'll get a good idea about which ones you might want to try.

Also, you'll find that if you keep the air pressure up near the maximum the tires will wear more evenly. I run 41 lbs. in the front and 42 in the rear. You 'll have to try slight variations of that to find what you are comfortable with.

One man's worn out is another man's fresh tire. Pix required to verify which is which
Definition of worn out: Stranger says "Damn dude you'd better get a f*#kin tire on that bike"

The problen with the 021 wasn't so much that the tread was gone but the tread that was there was like a roller coaster it was so wavy,.

I'm at 4,400 miles on the Metzler Roadtecs that came on the bike,and they still look great. Glad mine didn't come with the Bridgestones.

Mike

Like I said before, the -021 front is The Big Suck, but the rear is decent. Like I didn't say before, the front is not dual-compound, only the rear.

Yep....021s are known for short life.

They stick well but wear quickly, especially if you like to ride aggressively in the corners. Mine were worn to a distinct "V" shape @ 3,000 miles.

Keep an eye on the rear tire. Another Bridgestone characteristic is that when the rear looks like it has another 1500 miles life....IT DOESN'T. 'Stones tend to wear through the last bit of tread very quickly.

Front tire gone at 4.9k (clicky).

Rear tire gone at 7k and wore out on a 25 mile ride...went from looking OK to steel showing everywhere (clicky).

These OEM babies suck...PR2's...they're the ticket.

W2

[SIZE=8pt]As of this post:[/SIZE]

Fuel costs: $0.071/mile & $3.10/day

Expenses: $0.098/mile & $4.25/day

Total annual cost projection: $2,683.07 based upon 15,974 miles per year.

Yep....021s are known for short life.
They stick well but wear quickly, especially if you like to ride aggressively in the corners. Mine were worn to a distinct "V" shape @ 3,000 miles.

Keep an eye on the rear tire. Another Bridgestone characteristic is that when the rear looks like it has another 1500 miles life....IT DOESN'T. 'Stones tend to wear through the last bit of tread very quickly.

'specially at triple digits... :rolleyes:

... the front did the same thing.... Watch air pressure closely ...
until you decide on your own values run 37-38 psi front.

am told, but not experienced, that low pressures eat up front tire life.

maybe an accurate, better quality pressure gauge?

I once traded off w/ FJR rider whose front tire handled like 25psi, but he said he checked it regularly...