No riding before buying?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

automag928

Reaction score
I went to a local dealer today who happened to have 2 06 fjr's instock, and 1 05 used for sale. They were telling me I would have to sign the papers to purchase the bike, then have a contingency on the test ride, and if I wasnt happy I could tear the purchase paperwork up when I got back. Are all the other dealers like this? I am strongly considering the FJR, the ST1300 and the K1200 GT but for damn sure Im not buying a bike just to test ride it. Keep in mind, I do have my florida motorcycle endorsement as well as insurance on my current VTX which will be sold on Saturday.

Thanks!

Heck, when a lot of us bought FJR's, there was no seeing beforehand either. Not a bad deal if you ask me, plus it keeps the tirekickers from putting a lot of mileage on what will eventually be someone's bike.

I think you'll find a majority of folks here that never got to ride one or even see it before they put $500 to order it and delivered many months later. I consider myself very lucky to have been able to just sit on another forum members for 2 minutes before I got my '05.

With the shift from a PDP program to one where they're in the showroom you might find some dealers increasingly offer the option of a test ride, but what you're experiencing is the norm, not the exception. To me, it seems to me they're trying to find a way for you to ride it...which seems kind of an odd process, but is still more than many dealers currently do.

I haven't been around that long but I have never heard of a dealer having an FJR to demo before, mainly

I think because up until this year you had to pre order them. I waited almost a whole year to ride one from the factory at the Americade rally and when my time slot came up it started to rain so it was cancelled....I wound up buying one anyway and am totally happy with it. If he is gona put in writing that all paper work will be torn up if your not happy after test ride and it's not gona cost you anything then go for it! Just test the FJR last and tell him after you ride it you want 24hrs to think about it.

what part of the US you live in? Probably a member here somewhere close to ya. I traded in my VTX1800C for the fjr, never looked back. I was able to test ride either of the two they had sitting there. I rode the non abs & bought the abs.

When I bought my Vstar new in 02, there was no test ride. He smiled, said "Ask one of your buddies to ride theirs." I sat on it for 30 minutes without getting up (feet on pegs), and got it. 30K happy miles came and went on that one. I decided I wanted something that didn't sound like an irrigation motor even with earplugs on 1K days(or round town for that matter). I went by word of mouth from here for fjr, put down deposit for open order at D&H. I ran into a dude in Montana 07/06 at a store with a brand spankin' new 300 mile fjr, told him I had one on order, he let me sit on it(1st time ever), and I knew then, I made the right choice. I picked mine up end of July, now 4500 miles later, dude, I'll have her til she dies.

If you want something for LD riding, get it.

If you want something for lane splitting, get it.

If you want something for good mpg, get it.

If you want something to hear yourself think when mp3's dead, get it.

I go the same "pitch" to complete the paperwork and then test ride the bike. Funny thing was when I signed the paperwork they said it wasn't contingent on me test riding, it was done deal.

Doesn't matter, still love the bike even though I was duped.

I bought my 06 Five months before I had it. and 3 months before I even knew what it looked like. I finnally got to see it at the Atlanta show last year in early March and got the bike in late April.

If you get to sit on it you are ahead of a lot of folks from pre 06.

I would be warry of the sign it deal though.

Have him sign a form you keep that says if you are not happy with the test ride the sale is null and void.

I would think he would let you try the 05 since it is used, unless it is a consignment bike and he does not own it.

Post your Fl local and maybe a forum mem is in you area.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very common for dealers to offer the contingency ride.

There is just too much risk in letting "tire kickers" take a test-ride.

I would make the same offer if I sold a bike (person - person) --

Buy it, and if there's a problem within the next 24 hours -- i'll take it back and give you your money -- if the bike's in the same condition as when it left.

If it's any consolation, I did test ride my FJR prior to buying it. I wasn't planning on buying it at all. I just wanted to ride one to see what the hub bub was about. Worst thing I ever did. I went back later that day with a check and agreed to 3 years of payments. 2 years left and I couldn't be happier. :p

I got to test ride an 2006, but it was fuelled and had 6 miles on it before I got there. I showed up on a bike, agreed to a price and trade in price before the ride. YRMV.

Whether or not you get a test ride depends on the salesman, his boss, how serious they think you really are, the time of year (in or out of "season), how you play your cards, etc. No matter what they tell you, they WILL let you test ride (at least a used one, maybe a brand new one) with no paperwork being signed. Use psychology against them--act like you're right on the verge of buying THAT bike....lead 'em on....then spring it on 'em---"I just don't think I can buy a pig in a poke" and watch the depression start to set in . Casually mention how you've test-ridden "that V-strom over at XYZ Motorsports (competitor).

I've used all of this and have never bought a bike that I did not get to ride first, either from the dealer I bought from or one of his competitors. Including the FJR. Use their own psychology against them--it works.

Ok - maybe I need to clarify - I was spending the majority of the time with the USED 2005.... Since it already had a top box on it and was considerably cheaper. I went in, spoke with the GM for at least 10-15 mins, explained how I was looking at 3 bikes - the st1300 (which i had ridden), the bmw k1200 gt (my wife's uncle has and let me ride his) and the FJR. I told them, there is no way I am going to make a commitment on a USED bike, not being able to ride it. Keep in mind, this is not a consignment bike - the store owns it. I also informed them that my current bike would be gone as of Saturday I wanted something else to replace it fairly quickly - so I wasnt just a "tire kicker" Then he tells me they have the 2 06's on the show room, and 3 more in a warehouse! Plus the used 2005 on the lot...

I understand how this is a great bike and everyone here was having to pay the money for them before getting to see them or sit on them and all that, but when the 07s are coming out shortly and you have 5 06s left in your inventory, wouldnt you at least want the appearance you are trying to sell me a bike? I felt like I was treated like a 16 yr old kid who just got my license...

His response when I pressed a little more "Go online and see what the owners feel on the FJR forums" Well no shit, if I goto the corvette forum and ask them what they think of vettes, what kinda answer do you think I'm going to get?

I guess I've always been lucky and have had opportunities to test ride all the bikes I've ever bought, including the FJR. I have been straight with the dealers and actually got to ride 4 or 5 bikes before the I decided on the FJR. (I had made the decision early but it was too much fun to pass up on the chances to ride the other bikes). I have also always respected the equipment and their trust in me and have not abused the privilege. Never been asked to sign anything.

Just lucky, I guess.

I felt like I was treated like a 16 yr old kid who just got my license...His response when I pressed a little more "Go online and see what the owners feel on the FJR forums" Well no shit, if I goto the corvette forum and ask them what they think of vettes, what kinda answer do you think I'm going to get?
Careful, 16 yr olds shouldn't speak that way :lol:

By chance, what they want for the 06's?

By chance, what they want for the 06's?
Thats a whole nother story - I couldnt get a straight answer from them on the used one, somewhere between 10 and 11, and the new ones were "13 something?" as the GM gave the sales guy an unknowing glance...

Overall, the mindset I was in when I left was - if I buy this bike here, and I get a ticker, what kinda service am I going to get...

I test rode an FJR, so no, not all dealers are like that. Most seem to be. In fact, I also test rode an 06 AE because the dealer asked me to, rather than the other way around.

Round here very few dealerships offer test rides. Those that do tend to be the ones needing to push hard for sales (the Duc/Triumph/Aprilia dealer and the BMW dealer). Most reference insurance/liability issues as to why they don't.

Heck, just scan the FJR forums for the number of wrecked and totalled bikes and it would make you think twice about it if you were the owner of the shop.

I was able to ride one this summer and it sold before I could get back with a check so I was out of luck. It stuck with me until I found one sitting on the floor of a dealer in the northern part of the state. Negotiated over the phone, rode my trade up, paid the difference and rode the FJR home. This was late fall and it was cold with snow flurries. My advice to you is to throw your leg over it and see if it fits and if it does quit whining and sign the papers and take the ride. :D