no start.... please help if you can

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: Carver starter installed and the bike is up and running. Cleaned the ignition as best I could and got reasonable resistance readings consistantly, so left that in. We will replace it during my spring tech day.
With props to FjRay for fixing these things when they die...

Really Art, he's a mini-pro @ it now. He'll have 'er dun' lickety split

I don’t need a starter, but would love to make it to an Intech tech day. Always looking to learn a thing or two. And it’s only a day’s ride away!

Bike is home. Took Amtrak into Fredericksburg on Friday & rode home on Saturday morning. Bike starts great with a new battery & starter! Thanks again Bob! I'll be looking into a new ignition switch to swap out old on tech day when I have the extra moolah to do so.

Im glad to hear the good report, Heidi. For you of course, and also for all the others out there working to keep their superior first Gens running well. Nobody wants to hear of any chinks in the armor of the venerable FJR! :nono:

Big kudos to FYB! Tenacious is the adjective that comes to mind. Like a bulldog, and no, Im not just talking about appearances. Seriously, great work Intech. And thanks for putting up with all of us armchair, Monday morning quarterbacking, kibitzers.

:thumbsup:

As much as Bob is Bob, he's a really good dude and super smart! Good job man!!
Lets not get to carried away AJ, He already has enough trouble getting his helmet on.
smile.png
rolleyes.gif
It really is great how folks here are willing to jump in and help others.

When the old starter gets here I will see what went wrong and get it repaired so it's ready to go..

My guess would be too many starts. Heidi should probably just leave it running all the time so she doesn’t have this problem in the future. ;)
Perhaps but that starter had only been in there a short time. I don't remember just when I sent it to her but less than a year I think.

It was somewhere a little more than 2 years, I think. I remember on the way to EOM we had stopped to gas up & here we go, hot start... it again started dragging/slow starting. I was with Bob & Tyler when that happened. I remember looking at Bob like "oh shit!" Pretty sure that was 2ish EOMs ago... the last one that I went to. Bike had not been ridden a ton before or after. Actually, I've only done 1 trip this year & it was the same... dragged when hot. Then the no start happened months later.

Last edited by a moderator: