• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Non-working Gen II ABS Hydraulic Unit Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
I suspect my rear ABS is not working, am preparing to go into diagnostics. I've read a few threads about testing with a jumper harness, etc., so no need to repeat that discussion here. In the interest of greater knowledge for the ABS owners who've had issues, I'm looking for a non-working ABS unit for diagnosis and disassembly (there will be pictures). I suspect irreversable destruction may be necessary in the process, but who knows, maybe we'll discover how to fix one. So, if you've replaced yours and wish to part with your old one, I'd like to have it and hopefully we can all learn something more. I'll pay your shipping costs.

Also, is there such a thing as a service manual for the FJR ABS system? Thought it was mentioned somewhere, but couldn't find the info. I want one if available.

Further interested if anyone thought they had ABS problems, and if you replaced the Metering Valve or the Proportioning Valve (describe symptoms and if it was fixed after replacement).

Question for the gurus, if you are running a larger rear tire, i.e., 190/55 or car tire, would the larger diameter cause any ABS issues (ECU thinking there is a greater than normal speed differential between front and rear, and cause either slightly earlier activation of ABS or non-activation of ABS).

Thanks.

I'm not a guru, but I think that the diameter of the larger tires that most people use is close enough to the front to not cause any issues. And, if it did cause a problem it would be that the ABS-ECU would sense the difference in wheel speed and pulse the brakes even when neither wheel was not slipping. It certainly would not cause the hydraulic block to stop functioning.

I quite agree with you, however, I'm going to put an OEM size rear tire on and test it out next spring. My latest test indicates it is working, but not what I expect. What I do kinda believe is, just from experience of other bikes ABS systems, the Yamaha system is a hybrid sort and does not seem to behave like others. Somehow the rear ABS does not kick in with nearly the same parameters, i.e., not as soon for one. Bit of a mystery to me..... the 'research' continues. In any case, I'm looking for a donor ABS unit that I can tear down.