North Carolina Coverage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagebrush

Reaction score
My insurance cost seems very high, I'm going to move my registration to Alabama soon. I sure hope its lower, right now with a clean record I'm paying 1,108.91 it was $1200 the first year. I see all these $600 postings and hope to be in the same boat soon. My 07 DR650 is $400 per year, same coverage.

Charlotte, NC

50/100/25 = $169.91

Comp = $259.00

Collision = $672.00

Towing = $8.00

Progressive policy....

Going from a big city to a small country town should help get me down to sane levels I hope. I've only had bikes in NC, tell me AL is lower..... please.

Progressive may have experienced a higher than normal incidence of motorcycle theft in the general area compared to other locations. Use to live in that area and seems I heard that once. I didn't have a bike when I lived there, so no help there. I admit I am just guessing, I have no substantive data to fall back on. I have insurance with Progressive myself and it's in the 600 bux per year area with decent coverage. I'd ask a progressive rep why it's so high compared to other locals. Also, I'd check with other insurance vendors to see if you can get a better deal. But if you are moving away, I suppose it's all academic now.

Good luck in Alabama.

When I lived in Burke county NC the rates were not all that much better, my RV coverage went up $100.00 in CharMeck and the bikes went up over $300 and that was for two dual sports. I don't get the high rates, I pay more for both bikes with no personal medical coverage than my diesel one ton dually truck which is worth more money and has about three times the coverage. Hopefully I will save money in Alabama, hopefully it will be less than 1,555.00 for 12K worth of bikes.

My 60 year old Father paid $375 per year for full coverage on his new $5K DR650, not much less than the younger me pays. I can only imagine what the rates are like if your in your teens or 20's.

Last year I worked on the Waccamaw Hospital in Murrells Inlet, I know your SC coastal area too. I stayed in Conway at a campground, rode about 36 miles one way to work. Those lonely back roads were great during the winter. Plenty of space to clean out the pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - your collision is higher than what I pay for full coverage at higher levels. I went through AAA in Charlotte and I think I pay about $560. My address is in Concord.

I listed as less than 6K miles per year and that hasn't been a problem as I don't ride it every day and is not my primary driver. Rates on my cars are not too bad either. Definitely stress TOUR BIKE, not sport!

I'm at $1050 per year with a clean driving record and thats with Geico, so i'm right there with you Sagebrush!

But I do commute with the bike so thats probaly part of the reason its high. It's still a lot cheaper than what I use to pay up in the Northeast.

Need to check out AAA though...

Definitely stress TOUR BIKE, not sport!
actually doesn't matter

all stats and underwriting are done by computer database using based on the VIN number

nothing verbal will help per the type of bike it is

they do want to know where it's parked, ABS or not, theft prevention system or not, commute, miles per year, sometimes how much $$$ in accessories, and of course, driving record and age of drivers. All affect premium amount $$$

Well, I switched to an Alabama address this week and with the same coverage and the same company, I'm now paying about $481 per year. I'll know for sure when progressive updates my account. The DR650 dropped to less than $300. So, I'm now paying around $850 less in Alabama for my two bikes with full coverage. I hope my truck and RV are also less costly here in Bama. :)

That's because NC has an insurance "board" that is supposed to to protect it's consumers HA ! The board sets the limits ins. companies can charge......but apparently the board has the ins. companies best interest in mind vs its citizens (and for some strange reason, always has). So the companies charge right up to what they are allowed.................which is waaaaayyyy high. Oh, and here is a neat tidbit................the board consists of insurance people.

I was stationed in North Carolina for 5 years. I really disliked the way they ran their motor vehicle stuff over there. They were very fee happy that's for sure. Also I switched from GEICO to USAA (they underwrite their M/C stuff though Progressive) and saved 800 dollars a year over what GEICO was charging for all my vehicles.

I remember when I changed insurance companies on the SV650. I had a ONE DAY lapse on the coverage between when I ended my coverage with GEICO and picked up Progressive, North Carolina gave me the option of paying a 50 dollar "civil fee" or turning in my plates for 30 days as a punishment. What a joke. Of course people are going to pay the 50 dollars especially in the case of a daily driver/rider.

I was stationed in North Carolina for 5 years. I really disliked the way they ran their motor vehicle stuff over there. They were very fee happy that's for sure. Also I switched from GEICO to USAA (they underwrite their M/C stuff though Progressive) and saved 800 dollars a year over what GEICO was charging for all my vehicles.
I remember when I changed insurance companies on the SV650. I had a ONE DAY lapse on the coverage between when I ended my coverage with GEICO and picked up Progressive, North Carolina gave me the option of paying a 50 dollar "civil fee" or turning in my plates for 30 days as a punishment. What a joke. Of course people are going to pay the 50 dollars especially in the case of a daily driver/rider.
Just perusing old stuff and wanted to chime in.

NC is a bit odd with driver-related things. It's the first state I've personally run into where another state's license is only good for skipping the road test when getting an NC license; had to do a full-blown written test.

In terms of insurance, I'm only paying $121/year through Progressive for my FZ6; I'm sure that'll go up a bit when I upgrade to a Feejer. I do our two cars with our house policy (State Farm) and it's not bad (for me alone, but hold your hats). The only problem is my wife just got her license recently (immigrant) and NC allows insurance companies to charge a "new driver surcharge" over a 3 year graduated scale. With that being the case, I'm having a monthly heart attack because the monthly insurance bill, JUST FOR HER CAR, is equal to a really nice car payment (her rate is more than triple mine). She's not insured for my car, lol...we simply couldn't afford that. Crazy stuff.

Well, if your going to dig old bones......

I was up in NC and Burke county wasn't too bad but, living in Charlotte really hurt the pocket book. The taxes or City fees more than doubled. The safety inspection is a joke for the most part as it is in many states. The 3% sales/road tax sounds good till you get the bill for the rest. I rather pay my Alabama 9 or 10% sales tax and have no inspection and a fairly light tag fee. NC also has some of the highest insurance, my full coverage with progressive was around 50% less in Bama. But, my RV insurance did go up a bit. So far the only state that has ever stopped me for a bike inspection check was NC, about three times or so. The troopers checked the license and looked at tires, wouldn't answer what they were looking for. They alluded it was a tag check. Probably just looking for a motorcycle endorsement or a drunk check.

I never got a ticket in NC though, one or two light flashes on the BRP. So pretty friendly over all. I always waved and chit chatted with the guys. Riding the BRP daily I guess I became a common sight up there. You couldn't miss my orange KTM that I rode 80% of the time. The FJR only got "safety" checked once, the KTM ADV twice and the DR650 was zero/ The DR650 wins. ;)

My 06 FJR was with Progressive but when I got my 08 Geico was much cheaper. I am only paying $650 with full coverage and roadside assistance but then I have a great driving record (no tickets). Get them to give you a quote.

My 06 FJR was with Progressive but when I got my 08 Geico was much cheaper. I am only paying $650 with full coverage and roadside assistance but then I have a great driving record (no tickets). Get them to give you a quote.
My motorcycles are with Progressive and added my 2007 FJR to my existing policy. My FZ6 is only liability, but for the FJR, I gave it full coverage, towing, and accessory coverage. $503 for the year covers both bikes...got lucky I suppose.