North Cascade SR 20 WILL open FRIDAY at 11am!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allrider

eat, sleep, ride, repeat
Reaction score
Anyone interested in making the run opening day east to Wintrop for lunch? Its a hoot

It WILL OPEN FRIDAY at 11am!!!

I would like to be there by 10am to enjoy a coffee and cinnamon roll with Tootsie. Get to Winthrop, have lunch and return.

Here's the latest from WSDOT:

Hi all

Good news. The two crews will meet today, clean up tomorrow and reopen at 11 a.m. on Friday!

More details then.

Jeff

That's the word from the crew chief as of Wed morning.

greenlogo.gif

You are subscribed to North Cascades Highway Newsletter for WSDOT. This information has recently been updated, and is now available.

Hi all,

There's good news in this week #4 update:

The week began on the East side with more clean up from slides that came in due to the previous week's warm weather. Progress advanced through the deepest snow below Liberty Bell #1. Through the week, first LB 2 then LB 3 were cleared and it was on to Washington Pass. By Thursday evening, despite a return to winter temperatures and 5 inches of new snow, the highway to the pass was clear fog line to fog line and the pavement was clear two snow blower boxes wide another mile and a half west to Whistler (MP 161).

With Liberty Bell cleared, the D-6 and D-8 were trucked home which required plowing ten miles of that new snow to get the low boy's in to get the cats.

On the West side, the week began with re-setting concrete barrier in three places under Ruby Mtn. It's removed when the gates close for the winter due to the frequent and predictable avalanches at those locations. With the rock basins cleared and the barrier in place, between Diablo Gate and Granite Creek, attention turned to blowing snow. Wednesday ended with the highway cleared fog stripe to fog stripe to MP 151 and a single cut to Swamp Creek at MP 153. By the end of the day Thursday, despite the cold and 2 inches of new heavy, wet snow, the highway was cleared shoulder to shoulder to Swamp Creek at MP 154, less than four miles from Rainy Pass. Average snow depth plowed Thursday was 3 feet.

That puts East and West crews about 7 miles apart when week 5 begins.

Expect the two crews to meet sometime next week, but remember, it takes a lot more work after that happens before the highway is "vehicle ready".

For more details visit the North Cascades Highway webpage, the WSDOT Facebook page, Twitter and Flickr

Until next week,

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news! Looking forward to that ride in June.
RaYzerman19 - hopefully the weather gods will be on your side. June is a great month to be their provided you get mostly clear skies. You will see beautiful snow capped mountains providing for contrast in the scenery. Later in summer without the contrast things tend be a bit less scenic.

Me - well I live in Western Washington and lucky enough to ride it in all seasons whenever I please. My preference is to ride it the first blue sky day after opening day.

I have lived in Western Washington for all of my 60 years. I have been riding for 47 years, including forest service roads and most of the best pavement this fine state has to offer. PM me of you want any suggestions about where to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Fontanaman! I have been there before but that was a long time ago and I missed stuff..... three of us are arriving a week before the Red Lodge gathering, so we'll play a bit before we have to be back there.......... I'll be in touch soon.

When you are the first to go over the pass there is no crowd and state patrol. Its clear from end to end. The guys that clear the road are the only ones up there and they have verified that no troopers come up when it opens. Oh, and motorcycles go to the front of the line so when the gate opens we are gone.

When you are the first to go over the pass there is no crowd and state patrol. Its clear from end to end. The guys that clear the road are the only ones up there and they have verified that no troopers come up when it opens. Oh, and motorcycles go to the front of the line so when the gate opens we are gone.
Is the road typically pretty clean on opening day? I'm curious if they sweep the residual sand from the previous winter away....

Looking forward to a trip across the North Cascades again this year. I continue on to the Columbia and then follow it down to Wenatchee to pick up Blewett Pass and the I=90 back to MI.. Generally a nice day ride, but I wish there was a way to avoid I-90 for the return leg. That is one boring piece of highway even with the erratic drivers.

I don't mind 90 once in awhile as the scenery isn't to bad. For me its usually at the end of a long day coming home from a long day out some place south. I also usually head home north on 203 via Snoqualmie or Preston so I'm not riding into the arm pit of hell like you do.

When I do the NC it is either come home Stevens or the Crowsnest in BC from my neck of the woods.

They don't clean the road they only clear the road.
Wife and I totaled an ST1100 on the turn below Liberty Bell. Transmission fluid spilled in the road. Anyway, I'd take it cautiously if I were up there on opening day.

Me and Wingshot did it last year. It was a lot of fun with some OUTSTANDING views. Riding along the tall walls of snow on each side was remember able. Just a little gravel on the road but nothing to bad, have fun and enjoy opening day :)

To who ever does the ride tomorrow: Have tons of Fun and be Safe. I will be thinking about you while I am working.