North Cascades SR-20 is OPEN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I found this on WSDOT's North Cascades web site:

SR-20 North Cascade Highway is closed for the season from milepost 130 near Colonial Creek Campground to milepost 177 near Early Winters Campground. Due to COVID-19 concerns and in accordance with state guidelines, we have paused work to reopen mountain passes that close seasonally. A date to resume clearing work on these highways has not yet been determined.

And it won't simply open by melting out.  The road may have debris on it from avalanches, slides and other mayhem.

Figured CV-19 might throw a proverbial wrench in the works. Considering I-90 [Snoqualmie] was closed today due to snow, North Cascades is still getting dumped on.

SR20 will open sometime this year... 😉

~G

Who knows when it will open at this point.  Next time the sun comes out I may take a ride up to Diablo lake and back just to get out of the house.

Hey George, I am helping Shirley L, the Gal that bought your old FJR, look for a new house.  We will be following all protocols, looking at houses riding separate bikes and leaving our PPE on at all times. 

[SIZE=30pt]SR 20 North Cascades Highway [/SIZE]

North Cascades Highway spring clearing update

Tuesday, April 28th

Clearing work was paused with most other maintenance and project Construction in response to Governor Inslee's "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" proclamation.  However, this is more than a scenic drive as it provides valuable freight access, and is vital as an alternative emergency route in case of natural disaster.

So, with a plan in place to ensure that this work is done with the utmost attention for COVID-19 precautions, the seasonal clearing of SR 20 North Cascades Highway restarted on April 13, 2020.  

We determined it best to cancel the usual media fanfare around this work as to not to appear to invite nonessential travel. Although this may be disappointing, it is important to slow the spread of the coronavirus in every way possible. We thank you for your interest and look forward to sharing this experience with you next year.  

The clearing work is expected to take about two more weeks, at which time we will update the North Cascades Highway webpagehttps://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1N...U76tDu7HOkC3U5vu2IIPmKdBUXkw/br/77950412413-l.

[SIZE=11pt]This email was sent to XXXXXXXXXXXX using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of the Washington State [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Department[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] of Transpertation.  [/SIZE]

Call the boss and tell him...." you can't see. That's right boss, I can't see me coming into work today."

You're welcome George, now go ride!
He is working from home. Coming into work has a whole new meaning.

Hey ~G meet ya somewhere in between, like Rockport. 👍😁

Call the boss and tell him...." you can't see. That's right boss, I can't see me coming into work today."

You're welcome George, now go ride!
Eye problems; Can't see coming to work on Friday and back problems on Mondays: can't see coming back!

When is this unintended and unplanned gathering expected to happen? I'm in a need to get a day off as well and a US20-US2 loop would be nice.

I went with a friend on the 15th.  He rode his Ducati 998.  I offered to switch bikes with him a few times to give him a break. The Ducati is tolerable in small doses.

W Seattle to Winthrop and back was 8+ hrs.  Ordered take out lunch at the School house brewery and sat by the river to enjoy it.  Definitely gettin older. Had to take a nap after lunch to recharge my batteries before heading home. It was nice to have a full day on the bike again.