North Cascades SR 20 Updates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1336181565[/url]' post='959808']Latest update according to the talking heads, is Thursday May 10th.

Next weeks weather is looking good, maybe time for playing hooky! :)

--G
Sounds tempting. However after being laid off for 4 months, i start my new job on Monday. I don"t think they will take kindly to me playing hooky on the first week. Enjoy the ride!

Sounds tempting. However after being laid off for 4 months, i start my new job on Monday. I don"t think they will take kindly to me playing hooky on the first week. Enjoy the ride!
Congrats on being gainfully employed again Speedy!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
1336181565[/url]' post='959808']Latest update according to the talking heads, is Thursday May 10th.

Next weeks weather is looking good, maybe time for playing hooky! :)

--G
Pablo, congrats on landing a new job!!!

Thanks guys. Best of luck with the weather on Thursday and hope to meet some of you at the Ride West Swap meet / breakfast.

Getting closer:

Hi all,

East met West about 11 o’clock this morning at Bridge Creek (MP 159.5)!

I still can’t give you a specific day or time for the reopening, but midday on Thursday is looking better and better after today.

The two Kodiak snow blower operators – Bob Hopfield from the west and Jesse Gurney from the east, completed a single cut through the 1-1/2 miles that separated them in about four hours. Yes, there are photos posted on flickR taken by Twisp Supervisor Don Becker who then used his pickup to give you a feel for just how wide a single cut really is (or isn’t!) and how deep some of the drifts were in the neighborhood below the Whistler Mountain avalanche chutes. www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/sets/72157629681048559/

The rest of the next couple days will be devoted to the widening, initially the section opened today from Whistler (MP 160.5) to Rainy Pass (MP 157). There’s still pull-outs that need to be cleared, ditching that needs to happen so the melting snow doesn’t flood the highway and some guardrail that suffered slide damage that all has to happen before the reopening. Wednesday, the avalanche crew is going to do their thing to bring down any snow still in the chutes that three days of warm weather may have loosened.

It’s likely the two can meet on Monday, if weather and equipment cooperate, but the progress points are only a single snow blower wide (about 8’), so there’s lots of widening, ditching and guardrail repair before it’s ready for traffic.

While it’s legal for bicycles to use the highway because they’re not licensed motor vehicles – crews from both sides tell us it’s getting crowded up there (heaviest traffic on the west side) and it’s a big concern for our operators since bikes are hard to spot in the mirrors of a loader or a blower. The widening, ditching, guardrail and jersey barrier work is going on all day Tuesday and with avalanche blasting planned for Wednesday (along with the necessary clean up) – this is just not a good time to bicycle the North Cascades – Wait for Thursday!

As I said Friday = Think cinnamon rolls and 49er Days and keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks for the updates! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

We plan to be there at the end of the month on a 'Wing. Sounds like we'll have a clear road with berms of snow! :yahoo:

Edit: WOW Just checked out the flickr shots. Uber cool, shows how much work is involved. Thanks for the posting!

Been watching WSDOT today. From the sounds of it, there's still quite a bit of work left to do.

I've got Thursday off, so we'll have to wait and see.

--G

I'm going riding. Nothing on the news tonight and the web site says noon.

I'll be leaving Sedro Woolley at 8:00 AM. Anyone interested, meet up at

the Iron Skillet around 7:00 AM. I think I can stop buy Clark's Cabins

in Marblemount and see if Tootsie is headed up with the cinamon rolls.

If not , I'll just ride on back the other side of the river.

If not , justi'll jst ride on back the other side of the river.
I'll see you at 7, Tom.

Iron Skillet @ 7 sounds good.

I'll make my way up from Arlington the way George and Kevin showed me: Finn Settlement Rd, Granstrom Rd, Lake Cavanaugh Rd for some variety on the way there.

Good idea Tom although I have to pass this one up. :(

Have a good ride and watch for sand!

--G

--G
Too bad George. My buddy Turnsleft is joining us for breakfast, he will

bring along a DRZ400 that he has for sale. Your right abound the sand :eek:

--G
Too bad George. My buddy Turnsleft is joining us for breakfast, he will

bring along a DRZ400 that he has for sale. Your right abound the sand :eek:
...then it's a good thing I'm missing this. Could cost me more than breakfast!

--G

I'll wait for a different day as I want to come back over Stevens, starting at noon seems late.

Maybe tomorrow.

Latest posts