Not all Michelin's Are Created Equal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Some might disagree, but I set the regulated air out of my compressor to 120psi for seating."

On the contrary, I use a 20gal tank run up to 200psi with a ball valve on its output, valve off after the last bead pop. :yess:

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I wonder why I was having so much trouble seating the bead?
I would guess that it's what I mentioned a bit earlier about the way the tires are stored after manufacturing. If your tire was at the bottom of a big stack of tires in a hot warehouse all summer, it could get compressed some by the weight and take a "set". It shouldn't really affect the tire once you get it mounted, but having the two beads closer together than normal does make it more difficult to seat the beads.

I've mounted a whole bunch of PR2 front tires (on my and other people's bikes). The last one I that bought and mounted this fall was the only one where the beads were closer together than normal with the tire in a relaxed state. And I had to use the ratchet strap trick and a bunch of bouncing to get it to seat up.
This is 100% correct. Also the bead could be a little stiffer than most from the manufacturing process which happens occasionally. I run across this more when mounting cruiser tires since the side walls are so much stiffer. I keep a large tube on hand that I put around the outside of the tire and give it a little air when I can't get them to seat. This forces the pressure to go more directly to the sides which seats the bead pretty quickly every time.

It helps to unscrew the valve out of the stem then more air can enter the tire quicker to seat it.
Yes, that's how you do it. The trick is to get the bead of the tire as close as possible to the bead of the rim, then put air in as quickly as possible.

Fred - you are absolutely correct, thank you for pointing this out. According to the guide, they are exactly the same size tire, and have the same load rating. Obviously, the T/S guy on the phone had no idea what he was talking about.
Contrary to what some may believe, sport bike tires are fair game on the FJR, just don't expect to get as many miles as you would a sport touring tire. However, if performance is more important to you, you may want to consider it. I am currently running Pilot Power's front and rear and I ride the FJR almost exclusively 2-up. The feel, grip and the quick turn in of the PP's is phenomenal.

OK - I need to make a confession. Apparently, I don't know how to read very well. :blink:

I just returned yesterday from a 2-day 750 mile jaunt to East Texas. Had a blast in the twisties over there. I rode with my friend who has a '04 ST1300 with about 90K on it (he bought it new). I was expressing to him my displeasure in the lowly mileage I'm getting with my Pilot Road 2 rear tire. He stated that he runs those exclusively and gets about 8 - 9K out of the rear. Well, we started comparing tires at a break and I discovered that the rear tire on my bike that I've been complaining about is indeed a Pilot Power and NOT a PR2. I smoked the last little bit of tread on it yesterday - making 5500 miles. I guess I don't need to complain about that.

So, today I ordered a PR3 ($164.00 at Southwest Moto - free shipping!!) to go with my front PR3 and we will see what the difference is.

So, my apologies for ranting on the wrong tire earlier.

Also interesting is that it appears that the PR3 will last longer than the PR2 would have.
My PR2 lasted longer than my set of PR3s, and the shop indicated that is what should be expected. The extra grooves are supposed to allow for better rain traction, but at the cost of longevity. With so little rain in SoCal, I went back to PR2s for a higher mileage tire

I had a set of Pilot Power 2's on my FJR a couple years ago. Only lasted eight weeks and 4500 miles. They started getting going south after 40 laps on the concrete of the Bristol Motor Speedway, which was way too much fun :yahoo: with the 30 degree banking on the half mile track. Was able to get the old gal up to over a hundred on the short straights. It was a little tricky coming off the banking on to the straights. The straights are banked at 11 degrees, so it has the affect of throwing you into the outside wall.

I had a set of Pilot Power 2's on my FJR a couple years ago. Only lasted eight weeks and 4500 miles. They started getting going south after 40 laps on the concrete of the Bristol Motor Speedway, which was way too much fun :yahoo: with the 30 degree banking on the half mile track. Was able to get the old gal up to over a hundred on the short straights. It was a little tricky coming off the banking on to the straights. The straights are banked at 11 degrees, so it has the affect of throwing you into the outside wall.
racer,

Do you have any photos or HD video of you doing that? That would be awesome. :yahoo:

racer,

Do you have any photos or HD video of you doing that? That would be awesome. :yahoo:
Hi, Wheaty! I wish I did. My buddy and I rode on the track and took turns taking pictures of each other, however, the pictures of me didn't turn out very good since I was going so fast. ;) We were all staged on pit row and this wasn't best place to get pictures. I did get a nice picture of my FJR in victory lane however. This was a charity ride and was five bucks a lap. We went out on the track in groups of five behind a pace car and told not to pass. We got to the track early and it had been raining. The large gate was opened down on to the track and no one was there except for a guy sitting on chair by the gate. I pulled up and asked him what was going on and he said we'd better get out on the track before the pace car got there. So off we went. Road about 25 laps and pulled off to go get some breakfast. We were laughing so hard at McDonalds, we could barely order. People there couldn't figure out what was going on. A couple old farts acting like little kids. It was so much fun. After breakfast we rode back over to the track and the officials were there and about a hundred other riders. We decided we had better keep our mouths shut on what we did. The track was still wet and the pace car driver said we would have wait until it dried out because it is REALLY SLICK WHEN WET! Hell, there plenty of traction out there, but I hadn't gotten the hang of track yet. The high banks are really tricky. Your on a 30 degree bank and leaning over even more, and you still feel like the bike is going to drift up the track. I really wasn't able to get up to speed until I down shifted to fourth gear and just nailed it coming off the banking. The last lap, I came down off the banking too soon and bottomed both front and rear suspension units and I have had the GP Suspension upgrade! Hurt my back too. I guess Bristol does car charity laps all the time, however this was the first time for bikes. It was a real hoot. Ted and I still laugh when ever we are reminded of this.

I bought a clamp-on center-less chuck and with the valve core removed you can move volume quick. It's all about volume as opposed to pressure. Still run into some skinney-minnie tires that are hard to seat.

I get on avg 11k out of the PR2's but replace them early because this is my foul weather bike. I had 13k on the C14 PR2's before I flatted and it could have gone 15k

I am somewhat concerned by the PR3 wear so far on the FJR. 2k miles and they are starting to noticeably square off. I usually dont get that kind of wear until 6k miles or so.

I keep my front and rear at 42-44 psi, and check it every other day.