Not even 4 days -- Dropped it..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dupli-Color Scratch Fix TY 01612. If you don't want to spend a lot. Not a perfect match, but damn close.

That's for an '06 blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dropped mine in my garage thinking about the kids toys on the floor in front of me. I turned off the bike and leaned it over to get off, only to realize I hadn't put the sidestand down. It landed on its' frameslider (thank you!!!) and the side bag, which has a nice streak of John Deere paint in it now from hitting the lawn tractor.

On the other hand, at least I don't have to wonder if i will ever drop it.

My first bike I dropped at a busy intersection driving it home from the dealer in front of a large crowd of cars. W while turning left I didn't see the oil a previous car had left in the middle of the road. 6 miles from the dealer. 18 yo and crying in public!

I'm one of those macho, braggert types: '03, 61,000 miles and I've never dropped it. Of course, my buddy who was riding an FZ 1 and I swapped bikes when my Feej had about 2,000 miles and HE dropped it for me! Bought a DL 1000 V-strom last summer. End of the first week - bang! down on the right side - my first bike-drop in 18 years. Loaned the Strom to my brother-in-law a couple of weeks later - bang! - down (whew!) on the RIGHT side again!. Yeah, shit happens. If we were all that paranoid about a tip-over, we'd have bought trikes or cages. Just ride it, enjoy it, be safe.

I came to the FJR via a K1200LT (BMW), so I consider the feejer a light-weight, with the weight well centered and grounded. The LT was 900+ pounds and with the top case loaded is was extremely top heavy. Plus, the kickstand would fold onto itself at times just for fun!

Gene

I dropped my 2009 FJR while trying to figure out where to park; Nothing major but a few scratches/rash on the rear view mirror and the fairing.
Does any one know where to get a OEM touch up paint?

Now that you've gotten those first few scratches out of the way, it's all downhill from here. Leave it be, man. Battle scars.

A black Sharpie marker covers small mirror/saddle bag scratches on an '08 quite well, and would probably work on an '09.

I think you should get the stuff to fix it and put it in the garage. Save it for when you sell the bike. That way if it happens again you won't kick yourself (again, harder). If you do drop it again, just make sure to drop it on the same side.

-Kevin

Dropped mine on Sunday. Weird set of circumstances. On the centerstand on my sidewalk up to the house. Soft wet grass on either side. Start up and drive off the sidewalk very slowly. I have an AE and I didn't let it warm up enough. Higher revs. Back tire hits the wet grass.....and yep....back end kicks out to the right...half a donut. Left foot went down to catch it and "pop, pop" goes my hamstring.

Fortunately for the bike the ground was soft and no damage whatsoever. Unfortunately for me I can't bend over on the left side or the leg goes into nicely painful spasms....just glad it wasn't a back injury but these hammies take forever too. I've got a month to heal before my scheduled departure to Alaska. Damn.

Lessons learned. 1) Let the damn thing warm up! 2) See number 1!

Dropped mine on Sunday. Weird set of circumstances. On the centerstand on my sidewalk up to the house. Soft wet grass on either side. Start up and drive off the sidewalk very slowly. I have an AE and I didn't let it warm up enough. Higher revs. Back tire hits the wet grass.....and yep....back end kicks out to the right...half a donut. Left foot went down to catch it and "pop, pop" goes my hamstring.
Fortunately for the bike the ground was soft and no damage whatsoever. Unfortunately for me I can't bend over on the left side or the leg goes into nicely painful spasms....just glad it wasn't a back injury but these hammies take forever too. I've got a month to heal before my scheduled departure to Alaska. Damn.

Lessons learned. 1) Let the damn thing warm up! 2) See number 1!
There are two kinds of bikers: Those who've dropped their bikes and those who haven't dropped their bikes yet.

Kitty litter put down to soak up spills at gas stations have almost gotten me twice! It tends to blend in with the road grime and is sometimes difficult to detect. Note to self, while pulling up to park, look down instead of ahead as we're supposed to do! Bummer on the drop, but it happens.

I thought that is why they make stickers....to cover the scars. Been there done that, hope I don't do it again. Y'all be carefull.

The first time is always the worst! I dropped mine on the left side leaving work. Luckily my daughter and friend were waiting to ride home with me and they helped pick it up! I thought about getting it repainted but decided to wait. Last year on vacation I dropped it on the other side! I realized it was going down and knew I couldn't hold it up so stepped to the side and let her go! That bike was loaded down as only a woman can do!! It took 3 of us to get it back up! Nothing was broken..just cosmetic so no big deal. I've never dropped a bike this many times since I first started riding!! Maybe this time I'll get around to painting it. Will try the touch up and see how it looks for now.

Yeah I had mine about 2 weeks and dropped it turning out of my driveway, was a lot more top heavy than my previous FZ1. I was so bummed I had it professionally done for 150. Colorrite is expensive but cheaper than buying the yamaha paint which can cost up to $100 bucks per pint, nevermind the clearcoat

I parked mine last week in some gravel pointing down hill on a highway pullout. Forgot to leave it in first and the side stand folded up on me. I exclaimed oh Sh*t! and grabbed it with my left hand under the front cowl and planted my chest into the left mirror. Adrenaline kicked in fast and I managed to somehow save it. It didn't have much further to go and I would've had a very bad day. It was just pure luck that I was standing right where I was at that moment.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but as I've clearly demonstrated it isn't hard to lose focus for a moment and let it happen.