NY to Laguna seca

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just roy

Reaction score
ok I leave in a few days for the races at Laguna seca and i'm looking for advice. wanted to take the Ducati but after a lot of honest talk with self decided that was not in my best interest. will take it to Indy instead. so the the FJR is packed and ready for a Saturday departure and i will be taking 90/80 the whole way out. plan on 600 mile days. wife is flying out and we are camping at the track.

the return trip is also solo but i have unlimited time to play. well winter is prolly a limit but i could stay south. i really want to see the grand canyon, i think Bryce (sp) canyon and zion, the rock formations in this forums picture and Yellowstone park/bear tooth pass, crazy horse and mt rushmore. any other recomendations? i will try to keep this post updated with my location on the return trip and would like to meet as many of you as i can. i havn't done a big ride like this since 81 so this is going to be almost new.

also what should i carry and be careful of? i have all the basic tools to do most maint and roadside repairs. i will have basic camping gear. i plan to spend every other night in a hotel and rough camp the others. any sugestions on this?

anyone willing to let me camp in their yard? i don't take up much space.

Plan to stick around in southern Utah a few days. There are many things to see there besides Bryce and Zion, a couple that come to mind are Canyonlands and Arches. Also Monument Valley, on the border of Arizona and Utah is worth seeing. And there's the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado.

Regarding the Grand Canyon, I prefer the north side because it is much less crowded. From there you can cross the Painted desert.

Now you have me yearning to get back out there.

Plan to stick around in southern Utah a few days. There are many things to see there besides Bryce and Zion, a couple that come to mind are Canyonlands and Arches. Also Monument Valley, on the border of Arizona and Utah is worth seeing. And there's the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado.
Regarding the Grand Canyon, I prefer the north side because it is much less crowded. From there you can cross the Painted desert.

Now you have me yearning to get back out there.

lets go

The only problem with southern Utah is the extreme heat that the southwest is having this year. I would suggestthree plans with the weather dictating which route you take. I have been through southern Utah and it is truly one of the best places to ride. Zion, Grand Canyon North rim (just a short detour), Bryce, Escalante, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Natural Bridges, Moki Dugway, Arches, Monument Valley, then Colorado. How can you go wrong? Only if the heat is too intense. So also try a couple of routes further north and keep an eye on the weather. I have been through Salt Lake City to Dinosaur, CO over Utah's Wolf Creek Pass and that was a fun ride. But routes further north may be necessary. Also, consider California along the Coast, either south to Big Sur, or north to the red woods, or east to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. Others with more knowledge about these and other areas may offer their wisdom.

With respect to ^^^^:

Altitude can be your friend... If you have optional routes, and it's really hot at lower altitudes -- pick a route that's at higher altitudes (almost always cooler). It may take a little more (map) research -- but, it may be worth it (100*+ temps can be brutal -- if not, dangerous?).

With respect to ^^^^:Altitude can be your friend... If you have optional routes, and it's really hot at lower altitudes -- pick a route that's at higher altitudes (almost always cooler). It may take a little more (map) research -- but, it may be worth it (100*+ temps can be brutal -- if not, dangerous?).
Roy I just came back from a 2 weeker in the Mesa Verde area! Absolutely fantastic! We did the Million dollar highway and it was spectacular but if I were to do it again I would try to avoid the mid day as there was quite a lot of traffic? If you don't mind passing on the inside corners with double solids it can be done, the Duc would be the better bike for that particular road? IMHO!

Mark

ok I leave in a few days ...also what should i carry and be careful of? ...
Envy, you'll have fun,

maybe become AAA member "RV Plus" category (covers m/c's for emergency assistance). Many motels give 5-10% discounts

to AAA members so it's ~ free membership if you travel like you're going to. You might have to visit a AAA store front

to get your member card and # on your short fuse schedule.

I like and visit those areas of Utah, thought on heat already made above.

Zion, Bryce: take walking shoes with some (any) kind of tread on bottom. Bryce is high & much cooler. same area, Cedar Breaks is higher still (but don't know much about it.).

I've a few specific thoughts about that Utah area and NW / W, even including particular camp sites that are cooler. when on trip, PM me w/ your cell # if want...not into text especially.

Carry and be careful? - You're coming from big city ... OK. Bring a small photo album of maybe 10-20 prints to show your life and area; it helps in meeting peeps I've found.

full coverage insurance for peace of mind, Absolutely no problem w/ vandalism/secuirty in my experience, relax and enjoy in west, [SIZE=8pt]don't know other areas or big city downtown hotels. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well due to medical problems got a late start saturday(3:45 pm) and had to push hard to get a good first day in. fairly warm most of the day 98 deg at times. made it to indiana and got to the camp site and found it to late to check in. found a hotel and crashed for the night. had a good drive sunday only a little rain but warm. stopped for the night in Newton Iowa. hopefully tomorrow i can get ahead of schedule a little. passed a pirate and his wench on a bagger. it must have embarrased him because he wound it up and passed me so i followed. he cut a good pace for quite a while cutting thru the traffic fairly aggressivly and we cruised at times above 90. he would go in spurts. finally after about an hour i had to get gas and got off 80. he got off after me and followed me to the gas station. when he pulled up to me i wondered what he wanted and expected a smart mouth. "that bikes pretty fast. i was trying to lose you but the traffic kept slowing me up." i wanted to laugh but kept quiet.

Well due to medical problems got a late start saturday(3:45 pm) and had to push hard to get a good first day in. fairly warm most of the day 98 deg at times. made it to indiana and got to the camp site and found it to late to check in. found a hotel and crashed for the night. had a good drive sunday only a little rain but warm. stopped for the night in Newton Iowa. hopefully tomorrow i can get ahead of schedule a little. passed a pirate and his wench on a bagger. it must have embarrased him because he wound it up and passed me so i followed. he cut a good pace for quite a while cutting thru the traffic fairly aggressivly and we cruised at times above 90. he would go in spurts. finally after about an hour i had to get gas and got off 80. he got off after me and followed me to the gas station. when he pulled up to me i wondered what he wanted and expected a smart mouth. "that bikes pretty fast. i was trying to lose you but the traffic kept slowing me up." i wanted to laugh but kept quiet.
A couple of years ago I camped at https://www.utah.com/stateparks/kodachrome.htm! It a beautiful spot and not far from Bryce Canyon! Without doubt the best part is Highway 12! From Torrey to Bryce Canyon! Spectacular riding and one of my favorites? I can't remember if it is referred to as Hell's backbone or the Devil's? What it's called doesn't matter cause it is just great! I will be leaving on the 2nd or 3rd of August on my way east, if you're home by the time we're on the East coast I have your ph. #! I think we'll be heading south from Nova Scotia late Aug or early Sept? Have a great trip. I just got a Spot Tracker and plan on posting the link in "Rides" on the forum! I don't know how to post pictures so will have to keep working on that?

Mark

... he got off after me and followed me to the gas station. when he pulled up to me i wondered what he wanted and expected a smart mouth."that bikes pretty fast. i was trying to lose you but the traffic kept slowing me up." i wanted to laugh but kept quiet.
well, you'll be in the west soon enough, let your NYC reserve melt away.

I'd say that HD rider deserved a good-old-boy response to make him feel good.

keep those posts coming up...

uhoh, i'm not from NYC not even close. central square is a very small town in upstate ny. we do have a stoplight though. i have never been to NYC nor do i care to go there.

i never realized how big Nebraska was. took most of the day to get across. heavy rain till about 1:00 than sunny and 88 the rest of the day. stopped for dinner at a place called crazy creek steakhouse in north Platte Neb. nice down to earth place with very good food. the scenery is finally looking like the west you see in the movies. i am about sick of retards that wont get out of the passing lane. i should have brought a bag full of paint balls. tonights stop was Cheyenne wy.

made it to Winnamucca Nevada today long warm ride. almost to salt lake it went up over 100 and it stayed there till well after dark. at 11 pm it was still 88 degrees. if you ever get to winimucca don't stay in the cozy inn motel. you've been warned. Bonneville salt flats were amazing. you peak over a low rise after salt lake and you can see forever. in the distance you can see the mountains and they look fairly close maybe 20 miles. an hour later with the cruise on 84 i made the other side.