OEM Brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazglenn3

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
It's time for new front brake pads on my 2008 FJR. The OEM pads are a lot of money. The local dealerships only carry the EBC HH sintered pads. Are the OEM pads sintered or organic?

Not sure of the material on stock but the EBC HH sintered pads cost me a set of rotors on my 03 so I went back to factory .

Last edited by a moderator:
The OEM are sintered. The EBC HH pads work just fine and less than half the cost (for Gen II or III) compared to OEM; at least the last time I got them. OEM come in packages of two (4 pkg needed if you have to replace all) and the EBC come in fours. Maybe a little less life but a much better value.

Edit: Ray's comment - I have heard that some have had issues with the EBC HH being hard on rotors but I have over 100,000 miles on them. Maybe its a Gen I thing...

Although I cannot answer to your question, I'll just post an advice based on own experience: the OEM front pads lasted for 45.000miles. Also due to pricing reasons I installed a cheaper LUCAS/TRW alternative. LUCAS/TRW improved the braking efficiency but I noticed lots of black powder on the front rim after a few hundreds miles. I made some reasearch and found out that although LUCAS/RTW improve braking efficiency a little, they will 'eat' faster both themselves but also the rotors!!! So soon I did what I should have done from the beginning and installed OEM pads. The 45.000miles figure is based on both highway and twisted roads riding (usually sport-oriented). Also measured the rotors at 45.000 miles and according to thickness limit they were at 1/3 wear limit (still 2 thirds lifetime remaining
smile.png
).

Good luck!

Haven't tried the EBC pads, but I highly recommend NOT using Carbonne Lorraine pads. They destroyed my front rotors in short order.

OEM for me because they work good and last long.

I tried EBC and Carbone Lorraine.... seemed to me there was some extra thinning of the rotors, not awful, but did replace rotors at one point. I pay the price for OEM 'cuz I think they stop better too.

I use Metal Gear, made right here in Brisbane Queensland.

Very easy on the rotors but do not last as long as the OEM's

Good stopping and the sintered metal rear pads also work quite well, better than stock !

OEM is the way to go. Hands down. They stop on a dime and are crazy gentle on the rotors. Pay the price. You'll pay more if you don't.
Who is the OEM of the FJR's brake pads and what choices do they offer?
I have no idea - I suspect Yamaha goes with whatever manufacturer will meet their specs at the lowest price (like they do with anything else). Might change from year-to-year. AS I mentioned, above, I have had no issues with the EBC HH sintered pads. YMMV

I looked into this a couple weeks ago, and like you, was wondering about the reports of damaged discs using EBC HH pads. I've used those pads on several other Yamaha sportbikes for thousands and thousands of miles with absolutely no issue. But since I have the FJR now I was concerned. Are the FJR discs made of Swiss cheese? Why would they destroy FJR discs, but none of the other Yamaha discs?

In the end, I chose the EBC HH pads and am very happy with them. You'll like the extra bite and stopping power they have over the OEM pads.

Are the FJR discs made of Swiss cheese? Why would they destroy FJR discs, but none of the other Yamaha discs?
In the end, I chose the EBC HH pads and am very happy with them. You'll like the extra bite and stopping power they have over the OEM pads.
Pad and disc wear follow a fairly simple concept.

OEM is the way to go. Hands down. They stop on a dime and are crazy gentle on the rotors. Pay the price. You'll pay more if you don't.
Who is the OEM of the FJR's brake pads and what choices do they offer?
I have no idea - I suspect Yamaha goes with whatever manufacturer will meet their specs at the lowest price (like they do with anything else). Might change from year-to-year. AS I mentioned, above, I have had no issues with the EBC HH sintered pads. YMMV
But but but ... people are so adamently insisting OEM is The Greatest. So who is the OEM? How do we know EBC is not the Original Equipment Manufacturer?

For those who still do not understand the words, the terms they are using: Bridgestone is the OEM tire manufacturer. BT023 is the OE (Original Equipment) but even the T30 is OEM because it is Bridgestone. So who makes the pads?

No matter what the rotors will wear and eventually require replacement. Replacing rotors with every set of pads is excessive to some but Mercedes-Benz and other higher-end automobiles expect rotors to be replaced with pads.

I go through a lot of brake parts on dirtbikes. Once finished a 40 mile muddy enduro with metal on metal having started with brand new pads. Sinter metal pads last longer but wear rotors faster than Kevlar/carbon. I'll run a dirtbike rotor far longer than most on street. It still works, so why not?

I should note that the front, right, lower pistons in that caliper are actuated by the rear brake and therefore could have very little wear on them (at least that's my experience). So really only need 3 sets of pads for a normal front brake change. And to continue the savings, not all pads wear evenly so I will rotate pads when doing a front tire change to even out wear and extend the interval when I need to replace all 3 sets.