Off-Season Tire Experiment Results In a New Addition to Tool Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
OK…some may remember my boot resole with PR2's Boots Have New Sole - W/PR2 - Parts and Accessories - FJRForum

I was so impressed with the bonding strength of SHOE GOO that I decided to try another experiment. I have heard stories of duct tape and other items being used in an emergency to get a worn tire to last until proper repairs can be made. Since I

started swapping out my own tires, I keep the old tires to be remounted in the off season to be used for local riding and shorter rides. This also means that I can observe tire wear and Experiment different theories. When I wore a tire down to the chords,

I just had to try…

P3270370_zps1kpuvzyv.jpg

I smeared a thin coat of Shoe Goo over the worn area:

P3270373_zpsmuofv8fp.jpg

I checked it an hour later to find the tire must have had slow leaks:

P3270377_zpsytufzhgk.jpg

I rode the bike to work and back (16 miles):

P3280380_zps2fymy0zr.jpg

I smeared another coat on over the first:

P3270374_zpsalpwsxzx.jpg

The products says to apply in thin layers. I found the longer it dried the longer it lasted. Between the 2 layers the repair

lasted 9 days (Over 120 miles) It seemed to wear evenly until the chords appeared again.

P3280378_zpszrmin5x0.jpg

Love this stuff ! I also used it to coat the sticky strings when I plug tires (Did it at the RTE Saturday)

P3270372_zpsdxzwfrx0.jpg

Now I need to order more where it will remain in my tool kit …

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoe Goo is a great product!I used it many times with great results!For shoes,for the bike and for many other repairs...

About how many miles are there on that PR2?
I always start a 10/10ths ride (10k in 10 days) with fresh tires. After the ride I need to put new tires on for the next long ride.

This gives me used tires that sit around until my "Off season" I use all the used tires when I have no distance rides planned.

Usually November-May. So to answer your question… I put that tire on the 26th of December with at least 11k on it already.

I probably only put another 5k on it since. So maybe 16k…

About how many miles are there on that PR2?
No shit! I was going to say you're a brave man for going out on a glued-together tire, and for riding it enough to get in that shape in the first place.
omg2.gif
That tire was a victim of low tire pressure and was prematurely worn on the sides. Usually I wear the center through first, although the

last few rides I have been finding some pretty nice roads in Florida that I did not know existed !

Interesting the tire had some minor leaks when hitting cords. Guess that confirms what we already knew...once you show cords there's not much left! Especially true with the thin carcass construction typical of Michelin tires.

--G

So if I smear a layer of Shoe Goo all over my tire every day, I'll never need to replace it!
tonguesmiley.gif

The Shoe Goo is for emergency use only. If you are out on a ride and cut through, this method can possibly give you the extra

tire wear to reach a location for replacement. Its too bad that most of the time you will not have the time needed to dry the Goo

long enough to make it last longer. I gave it 4-6 hours to try and simulate a motel stay or a long rest stop.

Darksiders:
rolleyes.gif

Need to pass this on to the KLR riders,then buy stock in Shoe Goo.

Need to pass this on to the KLR riders,then buy stock in Shoe Goo.