Off-topic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdep18

Reaction score
Oh BTW, the 3 amp fuse that protects the 12volt power outlet in the small fairing compartment would not power my air compressor. I just bought a $10 air compressor at the local auto part store, had to swap fuses around after the 3 amp blew, (7.5 amp did the job), then made another trip back to parts store for 3 amp fuses.

Oh BTW, the 3 amp fuse that protects the 12volt power outlet in the small fairing compartment would not power my air compressor. I just bought a $10 air compressor at the local auto part store, had to swap fuses around after the 3 amp blew, (7.5 amp did the job), then made another trip back to parts store for 3 amp fuses.
I STRONGLY!!! suggest you remove the larger fuse. The wire is not large enough to support the load of a compressor. That outlet is strictly for charging phones and low amp draws. This has been extensively covered many times here. You are setting yourself up for some misery otherwise.

Dude, that has been talked about here since those plugs got added. 2005 I think. Those flimsy wires will melt. Add a powerlett plug to your battery and run the compressor off there, or expect your electrical to take a shit.

Up to you. Ones cheap and easy, and the other one will cost you lots of money.

ALL that glove box plug is good for is charging phones etc. No compressors.

Wowser the World is Coming to an End as We Know it, both the Canadian and the Mexican were 100% correct. Same situation on all BMW Motorcycles: "ALL that glove box plug is good for is charging phones etc. No compressors, Pendejo!"

It's a Trifecta, even the CoonAss from LA was right on ese: "The wire is not large enough to support the load of a compressor. That outlet is strictly for charging phones and low amp draws."

9e0141de2b55f902648d26e21334931c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like they said, your asking for trouble. The FJR wiring barely supports it's self.

The old timers always think the search thing is easy, it never has been for me but do keep trying as there is a ton of info.

A lot of the folks put in a fused SAE type plug right off the Battery for the heavy duty like bluesdog said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like they said, your asking for trouble. The FJR wiring barely supports it's self.
The old timers always think the search thing is easy, it never has been for me but do keep trying as there is a ton of info.

A lot of the folks put in a fused SAE type plug right off the Battery for the heavy duty like bluesdog said.
A SAE pigtail (like the ones that come with a battery tender) can be run to the battery with an inline fuse and then used to charge the battery, run a pump, and operate a heated jacket (not at the same time, of course). The wires have a 15 amp limit, but a 10 amp fuse seems to carry the load well enough. Always best to have the fuse located as close to the power source as possible.

How in the hell did we go from undersized wiring and oversized fuses to Salma Hayek's perfectly sized chest? Oh, never mind. Beemerdons was involved. That explains everything.

For the record, I sometimes cannot find what I want on this forum using any of the search methods, even when I know exactly what I am looking for. I find it just as frustrating as the new guys but I cannot blame the forum when a Google search fails. That is just Bad Karma coming back to haunt me.

I find it just as frustrating as the new guys but I cannot blame the forum when a Google search fails. That is just Bad Karma coming back to haunt me.
My Karma ran over my dogma...bummer.

I get the best results as usual with Google, but sometimes my Google-fu fails me anyway. As to the OP, I added a pigtail straight to the battery (inline fuse) for my Battery Tender and so far that's all I have used it for. I learned looong ago not to use the glove box plug for anything other than charging phones or powering my GPS (before I added an under-seat Fuzebox).

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/15908-seaching-the-forum-using-google/
Do you know how hard it is for an old fart from Rat City with barley a brain left to remember this little thing?: site:fjrforum.com

Like I said use it and don't give up, most of these guys are like opinions but they are still all right!

How in the hell did we go from undersized wiring and oversized fuses to Salma Hayek's perfectly sized chest? Oh, never mind. Beemerdons was involved. That explains everything.
For the record, I sometimes cannot find what I want on this forum using any of the search methods, even when I know exactly what I am looking for. I find it just as frustrating as the new guys but I cannot blame the forum when a Google search fails. That is just Bad Karma coming back to haunt me.
we don't and threadjacking is still an issue even if we try and let it correct itself.

I sure hope it was not my comment that got the lovely Miss Hayek's picture removed. She was quite beautiful, and in a purple dress to boot. I love purple.

I thought, and I could be wrong, but I really thought that once it hit NEPRT a thread was exempt from Rule 10. This subject was surely so lame as to deserve some threadjacking.

I was...

Nope, not going to risk it. PM would be a better way to handle this.

I sure hope it was not my comment that got the lovely Miss Hayek's picture removed. She was quite beautiful, and in a purple dress to boot. I love purple.

I thought, and I could be wrong, but I really thought that once it hit NEPRT a thread was exempt from Rule 10. This subject was surely so lame as to deserve some threadjacking.

I was...

Nope, not going to risk it. PM would be a better way to handle this.
RULE10_zps693294ca.jpg