Official NAFO Announcement Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a 3.0% transaction fee, that's probably a standard VISA charge and what we all will be paying in Canada (probably less expensive than converting cash).

Works the other way, too. Which is why I have a USD VISA card for my US adventures
What happens when you pay your USD VISA in Canadian dollars? Do you get the official exchange rate that day or are there fees on that payment?
I have to "buy" USD at the bank when I pay. I wonder if you're considering the "official" exchange rate to be the one that's published? Don't be misled.

There's a markup on currency - same as any other product. IIRC, the 'spread' is usually around 2.5 points either way (buying or selling - you're not going to come out 'ahead'!) But, banking was, what, 4 careers ago?! I'm old and forgetful :p

My point is: even though we hear that the currencies are 'at par', it won't work that way when you're actually buying or selling.

ps - Banks make the mafia look like pikers :assassin:
That is also my point, and I was wondering what you are actually saving by having a USD VISA. I have been charged as much as 7% by the US banks to sell or buy Canadian currency so a 3% VISA charge seems like a reasonable cost.

Looks like a 3.0% transaction fee, that's probably a standard VISA charge and what we all will be paying in Canada (probably less expensive than converting cash).

Works the other way, too. Which is why I have a USD VISA card for my US adventures
What happens when you pay your USD VISA in Canadian dollars? Do you get the official exchange rate that day or are there fees on that payment?
I have to "buy" USD at the bank when I pay. I wonder if you're considering the "official" exchange rate to be the one that's published? Don't be misled.

There's a markup on currency - same as any other product. IIRC, the 'spread' is usually around 2.5 points either way (buying or selling - you're not going to come out 'ahead'!) But, banking was, what, 4 careers ago?! I'm old and forgetful :p

My point is: even though we hear that the currencies are 'at par', it won't work that way when you're actually buying or selling.

ps - Banks make the mafia look like pikers :assassin:
That is also my point, and I was wondering what you are actually saving by having a USD VISA. I have been charged as much as 7% by the US banks to sell or buy Canadian currency so a 3% VISA charge seems like a reasonable cost.
OK - I see your point. When the currencies are so close in value, I suppose there's not much advantage to having the USD Visa (to avoid paying the VISA transaction fee). If the exchange is particularly favourable, I can buy US cash that I can use to pay my bill.

I'm going to check the spread the next time I'm at the bank. If it's less than the VISA transaction fee, I'm still in a couple of bucks ;)

Each and every year FJRGuy - Jeff C. promises Seth and Chuy that we will see polar bears. We will be so pissed off if we don't see those furry bastards!

And we don't want to see Hoser fjrob1300 all dressed up in a white polar bear costume again. Seth now sees through that one, especially since Rob is always walking around with a beer can in his hand and smoking a big fat cigar! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
According to the Superbowl ads the Polar Bears walk around drinking Coke. This is only true of the gay Russian Polar Bears. The Manly-men Canadian Polar Bears eat tourists, wash them down with Canadian Beer and then enjoy a good Cuban cigar afterwards.
Thus proving Rob is a Canadian polar bear. ;)

Each and every year FJRGuy - Jeff C. promises Seth and Chuy that we will see polar bears. We will be so pissed off if we don't see those furry bastards!

And we don't want to see Hoser fjrob1300 all dressed up in a white polar bear costume again. Seth now sees through that one, especially since Rob is always walking around with a beer can in his hand and smoking a big fat cigar! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
According to the Superbowl ads the Polar Bears walk around drinking Coke. This is only true of the gay Russian Polar Bears. The Manly-men Canadian Polar Bears eat tourists, wash them down with Canadian Beer and then enjoy a good Cuban cigar afterwards.
The Canadian polar bear Rob in its natural habitat!

DSC01678.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure if it's available in Canukistan, but Capital One cards don't have any foreign transaction fees

Not sure if it's available in Canukistan, but Capital One cards don't have any foreign transaction fees
Hey Scott, do you know if Capital One cards can be used in Europe's Common Market? When I rode the Pyrennees with Teerex51 - Stef a few years ago, I got killed by those foreign transaction fees in Spain and France on my Bank of America Visa card; the fees were brutal! I was going to avoid them on the FJR Forum Alps Extreme Ride this August by bringing $2K in USD Cash and immediately converting them at Deutsche Bank Berlin into Euros, but like Mary Ellen said you then get hit with the currency conversion fees. Which bank do you have your Capital One card with? I am really interested in more information about this no foreign transaction fees issue!

Ok.. I have the same but I also have a US account at my Canadian bank. They tell me it is the cheapest way... I convert some of my Canadian money in US dollar via my bank either on line at actually at my bank.(When I feel the rate is the best) Then when my USD Visa bill comes due I pay it from my US account. That way I only pay the surcharge once for changing money. Is it a lot of work? Not really!

Hey Scott, do you know if Capital One cards can be used in Europe's Common Market? When I rode the Pyrennees with Teerex51 - Stef a few years ago, I got killed by those foreign transaction fees in Spain and France on my Bank of America Visa card; the fees were brutal! I was going to avoid them on the FJR Forum Alps Extreme Ride this August by bringing $2K in USD Cash and immediately converting them at Deutsche Bank Berlin into Euros, but like Mary Ellen said you then get hit with the currency conversion fees. Which bank do you have your Capital One card with? I am really interested in more information about this no foreign transaction fees issue!
Don,

Capital One is the issuing bank, and you get a standard Visa/Mastercard. The only thing I don't think they have available (at least for US-issued cards), is the "chip and pin" card so widely used in Europe these days. I haven't had any problems with my old fashioned magnetic strip card though...you just sometimes have to point that out to the merchant (I do a fair bit of international travel for work).

https://www.capitalone.com/

Hotel is booked. June 21st to June 24th.

Say, is everyone leaving Sunday 24th? or Monday 25th? We are staying Sunday night as well - aren't we? Dumb people like me want to know.. :)

Say, is everyone leaving Sunday 24th? or Monday 25th? We are staying Sunday night as well - aren't we? Dumb people like me want to know.. :)
https://nafo.fjrrally.com/ Sam the Man, I think that you are just kidding, but Jeff C.'s website shows the party ending on Sunday AM of 6/24! Unless Miss Barb makes you an offer you just cannot refuse of course!

https://nafo.fjrrally.com/ Sam the Man, I think that you are just kidding, but Jeff C.'s website shows the party ending on Sunday AM of 6/24! Unless Miss Barb makes you an offer you just cannot refuse of course!
Ack!! Okay. Change of reservations then..
dribble.gif

According to the Superbowl ads the Polar Bears walk around drinking Coke...
I thought one of the Coke Superbowl ads was a bit of a tease. Like the one where the polar bear fumbles the bottle of coke repeatedly while skidding across the ice, narrowly rescuing it in the end to a sigh of relief. Left one hanging for the comic relief of having the bear pop open the shaken bottle. :)