Oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did my first oil change, piece of cake except for the friggin oil pan dran plug. Jeeze Louise, now I know where King Kong went to work after his film career in Japan, he's working for Yamaha installing oil pan drain plugs.

This is nothing new. The first time I pulled the plug and drained the oil, the threads come right out with the plug... Thank goodness it was covered under warranty. I had to call mamma yamaha and explain to them exactly what happened so they would actually believe me as they were going to cover only parts at first and not labor. Funny thing is, the guy I spoke with on the phone acted like he had never heard of anybody else having a drain plug so tight from the factory that it pulled the threads out upon first oil change.... :blink:
I honestly believe part of my problem was a little bit of galvanic bonding went on between the drain bolt and oil pan. I just bought it new, so it spent approximately 3 years on floor/in warehouse. I can imagine that during all those long winter nights together......well.....things happen.

Is it truly as easy as it looks? or is there some little sneaky aspect to be aware of.
Yes, it's as easy as it looks.

I'm as mechanically challenged as they come and I can even do it.

Go to a dealer and load up on crush washers. Yes, there are guys that never change them. I'm not one of those guys.

Just found this thread after doing my first oil change on Friday. Whew. I was really wondering about that oil drain plug. Even talked to the dealer about it. Had to use a LONG wrench to break it free. Fortunately no thread damage that I can see. But it helps to hear that it wasn't just mine. I'm also thinking that the bike was overfilled at the factory as the new level with the prescribed 4L is definitely lower on the sight glass (but easily within the two dots).

I do have to say though that so far this is the easiest bike to work on for general maintenance than any of my six previous bikes. :D

Now to find that PAIR removal thread. :eek:

I'm getting ready to do the 4K oil change. The OM says to just change oil and not the filter. I have never done an oil change where I didn't also replace the filter. Any good reason not to change the filter other than spending a few extra dollars?

...The OM says to just change oil and not the filter...Any good reason not to change the filter...?
For one, the filter actually does a better job of filtering as it traps particles and becomes a more 'stingent' filtering medium.

Well, how much do you believe in Yamaha's engineers...? Do you believe them enough to buy the bike -- but, not their maintenence reccos? (or, only some of their reccos...?) -- which ones, then, are you planning to adhere to...? What's going to be you rationale for choosing maintenence requirements? -- ask the yahoos on this forum? :unsure:

OTOH, a friend once said (concerning changing oil and not changing filter): "You wouldn't wash you feet and put on dirty socks, would you?" :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: