Oil filter X 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Changed the oil/filter about 500 miles ago, Yamalube and a Bosch 3300. Used the 3300 on the '08, '03 and 13 without fail or problems. No issues for the first 500 miles. Go out to the bike a few days ago and notice just a drop under her. Close inspection shows it came off the aft overflow tube and that there is a little oil under in the groove under the filter. Check that the filter is tight, and if fact it might be a little too tight. Figuring that I may have crushed the gasket, or not completely douched the gasket prior to instillation, I get a replacement filter. Clean the mating surface really well make sure to do a thorough job of oiling the gasket and spin it on and tighten it up like I always have. Start the bike, hold the throttle to 3K for a bit and check for leaks. All is well, so off to bed I go. Ride in to work the next day, no leaks. Ride home, put her in the garage and when I go out there a little later there is a small puddle under her! Same leak as last time, out of the filter. So, last night, I pull the plastics back to make sure there are no other leaks (none) and once again replace the oil filter, this time with a Fram PH7317. I didn't have time to test ride and had to drive the cage today, but the no leaks with the same 3K static test. When I get home I will go for a quick spin and see some loaded bouncing off the rev limiter testing to make sure that there are no leaks.

The oil level was smack in the middle of the sight glass.

Nothing but shop towels has ever touched the mating surface.

So,

1. Anybody have a filter fail? This would be a first for me, and what are the odds of two in a row bought 2 weeks from one another (same store)?

2. Could I have excessive oil pressure?

TIA,

Greg

There have been a number of reports of leaks with Bosch and Purolator filters lately. Apparently a different design where the plate on the filter is convex rather than concave. If you search you will find at least three threads on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been several reports of problems like yours on a few oil filter brands. I've seen the complaint made on FJR and Tenere forums. Evidently the surface where the threads are located on the filters were made in a convex shape rather than a concave surface. The result is that the metal surface tightens up before enough pressure is placed on the seal and a slow leak results. I've seen this reported about Bosch, Purolator and one other brand, but the name eludes me. Not surprisingly, no such reports about the OEM filters.

For what its worth, I have been mostly using the Mobil M1-110 filters without any issues. I have also used a Fram - can't remember the number but it was one of the higher end ones for cars, not their motorcycle-specific filter or the cheap car filter.

Also FWIW I just bought a Mobil M1-110. Concave like we need, not convex that leaks. I checked every M1-110 and M1-108 (the shorter one) in the store, all were concave.

All the Bosch were convex.

Somebody wanna kick Greg in the dink for starting this... He should know better.

I say the collective that knows this dofus should harass him mercilessly

Somebody wanna kick Greg in the dink for starting this... He should know better.I say the collective that knows this dofus should harass him mercilessly
Tough talk coming from the supreme forum dofus.:) :) :)

I bought Yamaha oil filters from flea bay.

I ordered: 5GH-13440-50-00

I got: 5GH-13440-00

The box is a Yamaha box and it shows fitiment, but does NOT list the FJR1300 (any years)

It's the short and it's concave.

DAMM IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't even settle my OCD!

Off to get the Mobil 1 filter, I guess.

Shit.