Oil leak from hole in driveshaft cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiri1

Reaction score
I have a very gradual drip coming out of a small weephole in the bottom of the driveshaft cover near the rear end. I suspect an oil seal either in the rear end or the front of the driveshaft. Has anyone had a similar problem? It is about time to change the tires so will fix the problem at the same time. The oil looks more like engine oil (thinner) than rear end oil but can't tell for sure. :eek:

If you've recently had the final drive serviced (with each rear tire swap) then it could be just an overdose of lube). Clean everything up and keep an eye on it. If you've already done that and it comes back, then there have been a few cases where the rear seal isn't installed properly and lube from the rear "pumpkin" leaks out (and out of the weep hole).

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/spline/Skoot...oupling101.html

There is an oil seal where the shaft enters the final. It's more a boot than a seal, but this is where it's coming from. The shaft will pull out of the final, this was the subject of much speculation before. Final drive oil lubricates the splines where the shaft interfaces with a collar. It's not a seal in the classic sense, I'll try to find Skoots excellent breakdown on this.

Edit: I see Bounce beat me to it.......... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks bounce. The article shows the problem in nice detail. I will remove the shaft when I change the tire this winter. The leak is not bad just enough to leave a few drops on my garage floor.

and while you are at it...lube the splines, clean and check the U-joint and lube the splines also.