Oil light staying on?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never once measured the oil when pouring it in. That is what the sight glass is for. When it's full to the upper dots that is the right amount.
wink.png
I find it easier to measure standing up at a bench. I've done it that way for decades. Other's find it easier to dribble it in and watch the sight glass. We're all happy. No problem. ;)

It adds zinc (ZDDP), which is a good additive for oil that is used in a motorcycle crankcase that shares its oil with the gearbox.
I'm not disputing that ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) is a useful anti-wear additive in oil and STP does contain this compound. Too much ZDDP, however, can damage catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. There have also been reports of pitting and spalling of metal parts if the concentration is too high (not sure what constitutes "too high"). I have also read reports where excessive amounts of ZDDP could interfere with detergents and dispersants in the oil. I haven't read any truly scientific studies on any of this so the information is mostly anecdotal. Take Internet research for what it's worth but I have some faith in the petroleum engineers who design lubricants and assume that they know more chemistry and metallurgy than I do! Complicated stuff and it has been studied intensively.

The Rotella T already contains 1200 ppm or so which should be PLENTY for the FJR engine. It may be more of a benefit for non-diesel oils that may have a lower ZDDP concentration to start with. I think I would check the ZDDP concentration in the oil I am using before I would automatically top up with STP. If under 500 ppm or so, I think it would be good to bring it up a bit.

Although I wouldn't deny that having some in the oil is beneficial, I would use some caution - more is not necessarily better.

Last edited by a moderator: