Ok... gas $4,5,6,7 per gallon...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool...I wonder if you took out all those batteries and the electric motor, would there be enough room to stick in a nice big V-8 ?

KM

SR71,

Very nice find.. I bet these types of vehicles are going to be everywhere in less than 10 years!! Good time to buy their stock!!

WW

I wonder what would happen to that car if I hit it head-on with my truck whilst pulling a 4-horse trailer..... :blink:

I wonder what would happen to that car if I hit it head-on with my truck whilst pulling a 4-horse trailer..... :blink:
Soon you will need to hitch up the horses to pull the truck. Then the car will pass you. :D

The advantages of an electric vehicle are curiously limited by the cost of said electricity.

What makes anyone think that electricity is cheap (it is actually inherently inefficient) or will remain so?

The advantages of an electric vehicle are curiously limited by the cost of said electricity.
What makes anyone think that electricity is cheap (it is actually inherently inefficient) or will remain so?
It'll probably be easier for me to run the extension cord through the fence to the neighbor’s outlet than to keep siphoning gas out of their cars.

:puke:

Oh… Did I say that out loud?

While Electricity isn't cheap, it's certainly cheaper then all the other alternatives at this point. Diesel is at an all time high, ethanol isn't worth mentioning and hydrogen takes far more electricity to mass produce then it's worth.

If the company holds true to their FAQ's, the car will cost about $1-$2 to charge fully (overnight on off peak hours). How often it will need to be charged will determin on usage as well as what it's range will be. If a full charge will last 200 miles (which is currently the golden target for most electric cars/bikes/trucks) then it would get me back and forth to work for a week. This currently costs me $20 a week to fill the FJR (still not bad in my book). However, when you factor in the purchase price, it's much like any alternative powered vehical available, it will take a while to recoop the price offset if you are purchasing it strictly for fuel price savings. If you were already in the market for a vehical in that price range, you'd be doing pretty well.

Overall it's interesting and I've been waiting to see if this little number would come to fruition. It still has a host of hurdles to overcome, but it's a start.

While Electricity isn't cheap, it's certainly cheaper then all the other alternatives at this point. Diesel is at an all time high, ethanol isn't worth mentioning and hydrogen takes far more electricity to mass produce then it's worth.
It all depends on how you calculate the cost. The fuels do not lend themselves to an easy comparison as electricity is not a viable fuel for transportation of the masses (yet).

If you think about it, electricity is not really a fuel anyway. It is merely a storage medium for the energy in other fuels.

So where did the electricity come from? And if you tell me from hydro power or solar or wind I'll know that you are surely joking...

Last edited by a moderator:
The advantages of an electric vehicle are curiously limited by the cost of said electricity. What makes anyone think that electricity is cheap (it is actually inherently inefficient) or will remain so?
"How much will it cost for an overnight charge?Looking at typical California electricity rates the cost should be in the $1 to $2 range for an overnight charge."

Why don't they just tell me how many KWH's it takes to charge it, and let me run my own numbers? <_<

"after 350-400 miles it eventually plummets to around 130 MPG at highway speeds where it will stay all day until you plug it back in and charge it up."

This is where the rubber meets the road, literally.

It all depends on how you calculate the cost. The fuels do not lend themselves to an easy comparison as electricity is not a viable fuel for transportation of the masses (yet).
If you think about it, electricity is not really a fuel anyway. It is merely a storage medium for the energy in other fuels.

So where did the electricity come from? And if you tell me from hydro power or solar or wind I'll know that you are surely joking...
Correct, electricity isn't a fuel, however, it already has a massive distribution network and production plants all over the world. An while I certainly know that the bulk of the worlds power currently comes from coal, you can't say that hydro and solar arn't starting to bridge the gap. Granted, it's still a massive gap.

Point is, if it takes that little to charge it, then a home solar array could easily charge it. That would take the load of the grid and in most area's, you can sell the extra power you make back to the power company to offset the solar panel costs. it's certainly not perfect, but then nothing is. There is no magic solution. However, going to electric unfortunatly is prollie the best bet at these times. No distribution network to build, no fears of tanks under pressure exploding, no hillbillys thinking they can run the car on their corn liquor, and the power source is already there.

Show me another alternative that has a smaller impact and I'll be happy to look into it.

... no hillbillys thinking they can run the car on their corn liquor, and the power source is already there.
Ya'll just won't leave my people alone!

Bet you all will still be lining up in the parking lot, with your electric vehicles, to see Hillbillys roar around the NASCAR track in their dino-based thunder tractors.

:)

(Side note: We now have two new vehicle classifications; Chrome Tractor (Harley), Thunder Tractor (NASCAR))

:)

Just kidding of course!

I actually rented one of those electric vehicles from Budget a few years ago (while escaping from CA). The performance was not bad, but the range sucked and nobody knew where to charge the damn thing.

I managed to extend the range enough to return to the airport, by drafting behind a 18-wheeler. CA folks said "Only a true Redneck would think of drafting an electric vehicle." So see, even rednecks can be useful alternative energy sources.

That three-wheeled vehicle looks very interesting. I think the claims of $1-$2 per charge are total BS. Definitely give me the kwh requirement so I can determine my real costs.

My other major concern is vehicle handling. I've test driven the Spyder and seen what VW had to say about their attempt at three-wheeled vehicles. If this vehicle handles anything like the Spyder, which BTW has electronic stability control system, then it will be an unnerving ride. In July of 2006, an industry expert said..

The idea of going around with three wheels is a quaint idea from yesteryear," said Stephen Pope, head of equity research at Cantor Fitzgerald in London. "It smacks a bit of stupidity to me. Nice concept, thank you very much, but keep it in the design studio."
VW said...

"With regret, we have concluded that the current and foreseen product-liability issues at this time were just too great," Adrian Hallmark, Volkswagen's U.S. chief, said in an e-mailed response to questions.
Can I test drive somebody's first???

:rolleyes:

SR71,
Very nice find.. I bet these types of vehicles are going to be everywhere in less than 10 years!! Good time to buy their stock!!

WW
Possibly, but it really depends on weather or not other alternative fuel sources are developed (i.e. fuel cells, veggie oil, hydrogen).

I know they may not be feasable at this time, but in 10 years a lot can change. Look at computers for example.

That hydro argument WOULD hold water (pun intended) in Quebec, where about 80% of our power comes from water flowing downhill.

So, why is it that they want us to pay the same for our power as you guys in California do? We don't burn oil or coal to make most of our power? So our utilities (which happen to be government corporations) don't have the same production costs . . .

sigh . . .

I guess we could also ask why the true cost of a refined gallon of gasoline (one for which you don't pay for the oil itself) is about 25 cents (for super) and we pay as much as we are for the oil. Everything beyond thoe transport & production cost is pure profit for someone.

Gas is expensive solely because of profiteering - there's no one in the supply chain with any interest whatsoever beyond milking the system for all it's worth.

Hey, whatever works given the gas prices. I personally think one is safer on a bike than in that thing, but apples and oranges.

"no fears of tanks under pressure exploding,"

Have a serious malfunction in the Lithium Ion battery bank, and you might rethink that.

Stored potential energy of any type has risks.