OK, it's time to say "Goodbye".

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
Thirteen years ago, I started the business that is now known as Bike Effects. In the beginning I was the Exclusive California distributor for Mototeck of Canada. I was wholesale distributor selling motorcycle undetails, flush mount turn signals and other products for Sport Bikes. This quickly became a retail as well as wholesale web based business. I was riding a Yamaha R1 at the time and it was a rolling showcase for the products that I was selling. I know that this is the FJR1300 Forum but I have to tell you that I have never had a thrill that would match riding the R1, doing Track Days at Laguna Seca, Thunderhill and Sears Point raceways.

On Father’s day in 2004 I met an FJR1300 rider at my normal Sunday morning coffee stop. Without ever having met me before, he asked if I was a father, to which I replied “Yes”. As a Father’s Day gift, he let me ride his FJR. A seed was planted! In February, 2005 I purchased a barely used 2003 FJR1300. Now, I had an R1 AND an FJR! It just doesn’t get any better than that! It was not long before I joined the FJR1300 Forum. What a great community, full of interesting people and a wonderful resource. I met many of the local forum members and enjoyed riding with them here in the NorCal area. Life was good!

Then, in December of 2008 I learned that I had stage 3 ½ Colon Cancer. I immediately sold the R1 as I doubted I would survive the cancer. I didn’t want to leave my wife with two motorcycles in the garage for her to dispose of. But, amazingly and thankfully, I’m still here and I am still cancer free 8 ½ years after Colon surgery.

In June, 2011, I was forced the sell the FJR, mainly due to medical reasons. I had a bad hip and a bad back and the bike was sitting. Riding the FJR and meeting up with fellow Forum riders has been missed greatly. I’m so envious of you guys, hearing about your bikes and the places you go and the folks you meet. Let me assure you, The Golden Years aren’t necessarily golden.

So now it is time to shut down Bike Effects. A changing marketplace, stupid California laws and a Web Site that is long in the tooth, as well as my age all contribute to a steady loss of money that I can no longer endure. I hope that you will read my post in the Vendor Section and take advantage of the sale prices available at Bike Effects. After my site goes dark, I will still be available by email if you have any questions. Ride safe!

[email protected]

I posted on your other thread first before seeing all this background. If this is retirement, I wish you a good one and years of health to enjoy it. Thanks for everything you've done for the FJR community, Jeff.

Sorry to see you in this situation.

Don't feel like you need to leave the forum and also don't feel like driving to meet folks at a bike event would somehow be unacceptable. People would be more than happy to see you if you're up to it.

Jeff, I've never met you but have done business many many times with your business and I have to say, you were the best. Good luck with your 'retirement' and stay close to the motorcycle hobby. It will keep you motivated and excited to look ahead for every new day.

Nick

Jeff, it has been a real pleasure getting to know and ride with you. Your service at Bike Effects has always been top notch just like you. I totally understand your point of struggling to to business in this F'd up state, like growing old it ain't easy. Wishing you and your bride all the best in the years to come and if you get up my way be sure give me a shout, it would be nice to have you stop by for a visit.

Ditto Bugnatr ^^^

A real pleasure knowing you Jeff. Also an honor riding with you and doing business with you.

We sincerely wish for you and Wifey to enjoy your retirement for many years to come.

Rog n Deb

Jeff,

Its been a pleasure doing business with you over the years. You have a well deserved reputation for excellent customer service.

I wish you best of luck with your medical challenges and future endeavors.

Russ

Jeff, I understand and say Thank You for the rides, parts, and good vibes. I wish you the best. And like said before, you can still show up via cage or whatever.. We don't give a hoot about you get there, just that you are there.

21.jpg

To the voice on the phone. Wishing you well Jeff and the conversations with the orders was always first rate.

Dang Jeff! You have probably been the single most helpful vendor of accessory parts (for any interest) that I have ever dealt with. A regular oracle of troubleshooting and fixes for complicated stuff like communications and electronics. But mostly: though it's been a while, your company at rides and meets has been one of the reasons the FJR generated such a social network around it. I can't think about you without seeing a congregation at Moskewitz corner, it seems. Has THAT really been so long ago?

Damn, how does time pass us by so quickly? Seems like just last year when you were still coming to Auburn to visit your mother. And mine was living nearby in assisted living too. But I've moved twice since then.

Funny thing is that I've been needing to call you for the last few months re: needed items to get my '05 out of mothballs and tour ready, with YFO on the horizon. I swear my procrastination was of the ordinary type, and NOT waiting until you decided to have a going out of business sale. So, . . . incoming phone call!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, you were my go-to in the early years of my FJR'ing...I appreciated the great service and the "voice" on the phone. I wish you all the best.

David

I have purchased from Bike Effects in the past.... great service. Sorry to hear you are closing down. Wish you the Best !!!

Jeff, I understand and say Thank You for the rides, parts, and good vibes. I wish you the best. And like said before, you can still show up via cage or whatever.. We don't give a hoot about you get there, just that you are there.
21.jpg
Hey Don, good to see you and thanks for the picture of my FJR. It was a bitch to see that drive away. I sure wish I still had it!

Jeff

Thank you all for the kind words. There are so many great people on this forum! I sure do miss the rides!

Jeff

Thank you all for the kind words. There are so many great people on this forum! I sure do miss the rides!
Jeff
When you get to a point in your life that you have to find an alternative way to enjoy it, find it and do it.... no one here would look down their nose because we are all headed in that direction at some point. While the bike brings everyone together, the friendships remain and continue on... join in however you can... while I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, it seems you are highly regarded and thus, a friend of theirs is a friend of mine. Come join us in Yosemite in June. B)

Hi Jeff,

Although, I never got the chance to meet you. I hope you accept my well wishes for your future endeavours.

Sam

adding to the chorus -thanks for being a great part of why this forum rocks. Didn't know about your battle but thrilled at the outcome. Hope we see you again when you settle into whatever comes next.

Well, dang! Hate to hear that you're closing up shop but I understand your reasons. Best of luck to you in whatever you do next!

And, as has been said, you can bring a cage to a gathering. Hell - BeemerDons and Donna brought Don's drop-top to EOM. Feel free to do the same. And, for the record, don't be a stranger.

Latest posts