One Accident - Two Totalled FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Town FJR

Reaction score
At the beginning of September, my 79 year old father-in-law and I embarked on a trip that we were planning on for a few years. I would leave from Houston, TX and meet him where he lives in Waco, TX. From there, we would begin our trek towards the black hills of SD so I could see Mt. Rushmore. I loved the journey (although riding in Kansas plain sucks) but loved South Dakota. After spending a night in Deadwood, we headed west toward Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. We rode the wonderful roads through the Bighorn National Forest to get to Cody, WY for the night.

Next we continued our journey west to Yellowstone to enjoy the sights. I loved it! Saw beautiful scenery, Buffalo, Black Bears, Elk, Pronghorns and many other animals. After riding for the majority of the day, we decided that checking out Old Faithful would be our last stop before heading to Jackson to stay the night.

Before leaving the parking lot, we reviewed our map. For some reason, a road called "West Thumb" stuck out in my mind as the way to go. We had also programmed the GPS to take us to the hotel...we get on our bikes and head out. Several minutes into the ride, I see West Thumb. I motion to my father in law to let him know we should head that way. He shook his head "No" and kept pointing in the direction we were already going in. Ironically, the GPS wanted to go the same direction that he wanted to go. I motioned over to a cutout to talk about where we needed to go and we pulled over.

While we were pulled over, I thought we decided to continue to go the way the GPS wanted us to go. My father in law takes off in front of me. I start to accelerate hard but look down. When I look up, my FIL was performing a UTurn in the middle of the street. It was too late...I slammed on my back break to swing the rear around and forced the front of the bike down to avoid a T-bone accident with him. I hit him low between the t tires and I high sided him.'

I was up immediately after impact but my FIL could not get up. He was like '"who the F hit me?"...I said it was "me". The ambulance came and took us both to Jackson. Not having been in a street bike wreck before, I had have to admit it was chaotic. I had a few broken ribs...my FIL had a mildly fractured hip and spent 4 days in the hospital. The poor guy in the room next to him was there because he was torn up by a Grizzly Bear in Yellowstone. We had to fly back to Texas!

Long story short...I was on my 2005 FJR. My FIL was on his 2007 FJR. We had just completed about 2400 miles in 6 days. Both bikes were TOTALLED. COMPLETE LOSSES.

The accident happened on 9/11 (at least I won't forget the date)! My insurance company was more than fair (Progressive) and they provided excellent customer service.

The two of us plan on finishing what we started, I need to get a new bike...not sure what I want yet...but I am getting something.

Anyway...its not often that 2 FJRs are involved in the same accident. We are both recovering well and should be riding again soon.

Ride Safe!

Rich

Glad you two are around to talk about it. Sounds like a good plan for next year to finish the ride

Glad to hear you're okay. Hate to say, you know this will be the talk of all family gatherings for years to come.

So sorry to hear your epic journey ended this way, but glad to know that you both will be ok. I take it you will be taking the lead, all the way on your next trip though, per FIL's request.

And after a few drinks, your FIL will probably be saying "that dumb ass who hit me" and you'll be saying "that dumb ass who pulled a U in front of me"...

Glad u both are around to be able to talk about it :)

One thing I like to mention whenever riding with others is -

Of all the things out here that can hurt you, it's most likely going to be someone you're riding with.

Glad to hear the bikes were the only things to perish.

Oh wow! Glad to hear that it wasn't any worse for you two and that you were able to make it home.

The day you lost your FJRs was the day I found mine.

Here's to a full recovery!
drinks.gif

Perhaps a shiny red 2014 is in your future.

Ray

I thought wrecking on my 06 V-Strom in August was the worst thing that could happen, then I got my FJR. Woo-hoo! Glad you guys are okay. Crashing on a motorcycle can really shake a person. I had Progressive as well. They treated me well. I got the value of the bike plus $3000 for farkles. For people that don't have Progressive, check your policy. For a few bucks more you can get coverage for gear, farkles, etc.

Damn glad u giys weren't hurt.Now what did we learn about accelerating hard while not looking up ahead?

Uh...yeah...I learned the lesson the hard way! :)

I thought wrecking on my 06 V-Strom in August was the worst thing that could happen, then I got my FJR. Woo-hoo! Glad you guys are okay. Crashing on a motorcycle can really shake a person. I had Progressive as well. They treated me well. I got the value of the bike plus $3000 for farkles. For people that don't have Progressive, check your policy. For a few bucks more you can get coverage for gear, farkles, etc.
Yeah...Progressive did right by me. I was pleased with their service.

Glad to hear your both getting along and looking forward to continuing the journey you started.
How about a new 2014 to fill the void?
smile.png
A 2014 would be nice.

Bummer, Rich. Crashing sucks. I've never hit my FIL, though, so not sure how that compounds the "suckness" of the whole thing. :) I'm glad y'all are OK and plan on finishing what was started. I'm sure finishing is important to both of you.

I see, trying to take the old man outta the picture for the inheritance money...... Jeeezee

I kid, I kid...... glad your OK and still alive and didn't get run over by any cars after the fact....

Good luck on the hunt for a new FJR.... Sad...... Your wife will never forgive you I'll bet....

...nope..y'all did it all wrong.....see...there were these tw...three...three.... GINORMOUS MOOSE.....MEESES...a herd of meese.... and Pops hit the first and spun around right in front of me just as i wheelied the bike over the RV going the wrong way and.....

Keep on Truckin,

Glad you are both OK,

Bobby

Bobby be right. The deductible for meese collisions is less than "vehicular accidents."

... and there are seldom any witnesses. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts