One Hit Wonder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he does submit it to a magazine he better use me for the photo model. I am much better looking than he is.
smile.png

Thanks Pants. This bit made me a litte teary: " I’ve smelled the world. I’ve listened to people tell me their history. I’ve gotten out of the box that is my life"

RE: The Talking Heads

"If someone asks, this is where I'll be..."

Wonderful expression of many thoughts I have had over the years. I am currently at a place where I have the FJR I have always wanted, but my wife wants me to give up riding. Our youngest is a Jr in HS. As you stated, it is nearly impossible to describe the experiences, camaraderie among riders, conversation & food that goes with this community. It is more than just a hobby, and it isn't for everyone. For the most part, the risks come from distracted drivers in cars, not from our own poor judgement, though there is some of that, too.

I will share some quotes from your post, if you don't mind. IMHO, you have a particular eloquence that cannot be denied. Thanks

Great post, pants. Agree with the others, worth sending into the mags, as it is written honestly and simply.

My only addition to your excellent tale: get yourself a dirt bike, and watch the adventures continue. Dirt riding also takes a bit of the worry away, especially if the missus joins you in a dirt bike class, and sees for herself how it works.

Agree that the motorcycle is a gateway to some terrific experiences with terrific people. I run with all types of people in my profession, and Moto peeps are probably my favorite bunch to hang with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post, I can relate to it as most can. I also took a hiatus from riding when my kids were young, still miss that FZR. While I have only been back on a motorcycle a short while, I have enjoyed it immensely. I found the FJR while getting my four wheeler serviced and walked through the show room, saw the new model and just knew. A short time later I have my 08. Knock on wood, I have not experienced a get off yet, and hopefully won't. Interesting how our views on life change with experience. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the post.

Your comments are humbling, and appreciated. My wife agrees with you that I should seek to get this published. I'm going to think about it.

Hudson - I'm still on the fence re: dirt bike (or dual sport as the case would likely be). I used to ride on the dirt, but the varied ground surfaces always made me nervous, BION. Also, I like the idea of camping well off the beaten path, but think the application is not what I hope it will be. Rather, it would be like trying to ride an overloaded pig, falling along the way and having to wrestle it continually.

Depends on the bike and the rider. In our off-road class, the guy who brought the GS spent a good deal of time picking it up, but he could wrestle it around the same places I took my Husky. Sportsguy brought his KTM 690R which was a good compromise, but not as much fun as my Husky.

I will admit to not being able to do on the KTM 1190R what I can manage on the Husky, but in truth, its the rider, not the bike.

That rumored new Honda dual sport looks pretty fun!

You know what the weight of responsibility does? It decreases your lean angle by at least 5 degrees. And I am not ashamed of that.

Great read!

OK, Redfish - gotta say I *really* like this line. Are you alright with me borrowing that one?
By all means use it. If it is on the internet, it is free for all.

Of course if you make any money off of it...
smile.png