Option for pillion custom seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahchiu

FJR Commander
Reaction score
I came across this and I may give it a try, I don't want to spend the money for a custom seat for my wife since she rarely rides with me, but when she does she complains about the seat, I borrowed a buddy's Russel day long back seat and she liked it. If she likes it and is willing to go for more and longer rides I may go and get a custom seat for her. Wondering if anyone has seen this or have tried it.

https://www.buttybuddy.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option to look at, www.greatdaytoride.com

Very reasonable pricing and quick turn around time.

Marcus,

Let me say up front, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I have been doing some homework to try and find a relatively inexpensive solution to a part-time seat comfort issue.

When my lovely Wife graces the back seat of my bike she can only take so much saddle time which, I'm sure like you, is about 1/10 of what we would do on any given day. So I have been looking for a solution I can use once in a while on those really long days, just to change up my riding position, and she could use when we ride together.

A while back I looked at the Butt buddy and thought it would be a good solution, once i realized those posts can be moved around or removed completely. Next, I was thinking of going with a medium size AirHawk2 that i could use either front or back. But now that i see what he's doing at Greatdaytoride.com / Spencers Seat Mods I think i may go this way and have them both modified. They do a custom seat mod front and back with Supracor for about the same as 1 butt buddy, or a little more than a med airhawk2.

I'm getting a quote now and I'll report back.

I might as well ask about a group rate while I'm at it and see if he's open to it..

Marcus,

Let me say up front, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I have been doing some homework to try and find a relatively inexpensive solution to a part-time seat comfort issue.

When my lovely Wife graces the back seat of my bike she can only take so much saddle time which, I'm sure like you, is about 1/10 of what we would do on any given day. So I have been looking for a solution I can use once in a while on those really long days, just to change up my riding position, and she could use when we ride together.

A while back I looked at the Butt buddy and thought it would be a good solution, once i realized those posts can be moved around or removed completely. Next, I was thinking of going with a medium size AirHawk2 that i could use either front or back. But now that i see what he's doing at Greatdaytoride.com / Spencers Seat Mods I think i may go this way and have them both modified. They do a custom seat mod front and back with Supracor for about the same as 1 butt buddy, or a little more than a med airhawk2.

I might as well ask about a group rate while I'm at it and see if he's open to it..
Hey Allrider, it would seem that we were both close to the same opinion with this. I was searching for somthing that would

accomodate not just my gal but myself for the long hauls also. The Butt buddy deal is very innovative, first time I've seen it.

That would be a excellent upgrade for a chopper as a easy on-off setup. Sure it works well otherwise, looks like a lot of scalp scratchin went into the design of that product.

I had purchased one of the new Airhawk R pads. It was a bit big for the seat but after using it, swore I would never make another long trip without it. The only drawback I found worth mentioning was that it raised me up just a tad bit. At 5'10" it keeps me up on my feet for red lights and such just a bit further then I'd like. Not that its a huge issue but enough to prompt me to keep looking into seat mods. After beating the bushes out here in netscape for some time I ran across Spencers website and contacted him. I recieved a very knowlegeable response and after due consideration of a full 'works' treatment for only a bennie plus the shipping involved I decided to pull the trigger. Very much looking forward to trying out the results. If its anything near what I expect, a very low time Airhawk will be up for sale in capitalisim.

Marcus,

Gordon,

Looks like this is a better option, keep me posted on what you find out.

Now that Im back CONUS and putting some long overdue miles on my FJR again I must say that for the $, this seat fix is the way to go. My other half has no more issues with the pillion anymore and about the only thing that makes us need to stop is to stretch the knees a bit or to fill/drain tanks.

While I can imagine that a Daylong would be that much more comfort-wise if you have the dinero to spring for one, on a budget I must give high cudos to Spencer for his work. First rate upgrade for the price.

I went on a 200 mile ride today with my wife on the Spencer rear seat, she said it was a lot betterthan stock and she's not sliding forward, she said it's not as nice as the Russel Day Long but for the price it will do till she's ready to do more miles.