OR WA Lane Sharing Legistlation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is unfortunate we did not pass this law in Washington State; However, I believe we are one step closer to giving motorcycle this privilege. Hopefully next time this law will pass.

Imagine one day.....when traffic is back up for miles and being on a motorcycle gives you the option to bypass automobiles that are at a standstill or moving slowly.

Here is a the email from the Senator:

Thank you for taking the time email me reading SB 5623, which would allow motorcycles to pass a vehicle in the same lane under limited circumstances. I support this legislation and voted for it when it came to the Senate floor for a vote.

While there was some debate over the merits of this bill, I do feel that the legislation protects both motorcyclists and drives. If this bill passes, Motorcyclists would only be able pass on the left lane while traveling at low speeds. I think this is a good compromise that mitigates some of the risk and that is why I supported it.

Again, thank you for taking the time to email me. Should you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to contact me, either by phone at
(360) 786-7664, or by email at [email protected].

Always,

Senator Karen Keiser
33rd District of Washington

https://www.sdc.wa.gov/senators/keiser/

I believe we are one step closer to giving motorcycle this privilege. Hopefully next time this law will pass.
Anybody watching this thread by the way...it's examples like this that make me happy as an administrator we have an exemption for FJR/motorcycle specific legislation on this forum, Even though it wasn't adopted this year in the legislature--this thread has hewed pretty well towards the constructive side of things. More importantly it didn't become decisive.

Thank you!

The Management

It is unfortunate we did not pass this law in Washington State; However, I believe we are one step closer to giving motorcycle this privilege. Hopefully next time this law will pass.Imagine one day.....when traffic is back up for miles and being on a motorcycle gives you the option to bypass automobiles that are at a standstill or moving slowly.

Here is a the email from the Senator:

Thank you for taking the time email me reading SB 5623, which would allow motorcycles to pass a vehicle in the same lane under limited circumstances. I support this legislation and voted for it when it came to the Senate floor for a vote.

While there was some debate over the merits of this bill, I do feel that the legislation protects both motorcyclists and drives. If this bill passes, Motorcyclists would only be able pass on the left lane while traveling at low speeds. I think this is a good compromise that mitigates some of the risk and that is why I supported it.

Again, thank you for taking the time to email me. Should you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to contact me, either by phone at (360) 786-7664, or by email at [email protected].

Always,

Senator Karen Keiser

33rd District of Washington

https://www.sdc.wa.gov/senators/keiser/
I believe she is on the transportation committee (or was)

I'm really hoping this will pass next time around. We have the right kinds of people in the right positions to make it happen.

Hopefully next time around we can increase the attention in a manner that will help pass this bill :)

I'm really hoping this will pass next time around. We have the right kinds of people in the right positions to make it happen.
Hopefully next time around we can increase the attention in a manner that will help pass this bill
smile.png
For fellow Washingtonians, I urge you to do more than an email and a phone call to get this resurrected next session. Make an in-person appointment with your representatives and/or go to a town hall meeting if s/he has one. Stress the win-win for ALL commuters (less road wear, shorter commute times for everyone, less pollution) which seems to be a better sell than it's a safety thing that only benefits motos. If anyone is an AMA member, maybe you can nudge them to being more active and doing some organizing.

Unfortunately I won't be able to participate due to previous commitment. Even though I live in Washington I would have attend if I could.

"Motorcycle Awareness Rally Ride from Portland to the Capitol in Salem.

Saturday, May 2, 2015. Meet at the McDonalds in Wilsonville (next to Fry's) at 9. KSU is 9:30.

ALL RIDERS WELCOME. I don't care what you ride, what you wear, or how you ride. Harley, gixxer, dirt bike, or slammed Busa - all are welcome! We will be taking it easy on our way down (wave and smile to the cagers now). There will be ride options after the rally for you to get your ride on.

There will be a bike show at 10 (you can enter!), public speakers at noon, and a BBQ after.

Come down and to show our unity and support for our legislative efforts! Did I mention we will get to park on the Capitol Mall? Legally?"

Last edited by a moderator:
LEGISLATIVE UPDATE: SB 694A (Lane Filtering)
SB 694A is scheduled to be heard in front of the House Committee on Transportation and Economic Development this Friday, May 15, 2015.
You don't have to travel to Salem to be heard! You can submit written testimony before the hearing. Here's how:
1. Email your testimony as a pdf (make sure it's pdf) document to: [email protected]
2. Address the testimony to "Chair McKeown and Members of the House Committee on Transportation and Economic Development"
3. In your email subject refer to "Testimony in support of SB694 for 5/15/15 hearing"
4. The deadline to submit is this Thursday at 3:00pm.
SB 694A has already passed the Senate. If it is passed out of the Committee it will go to the House floor for
full vote. If it passes the House it will go to Governor Brown's desk for her signature and, if signed, would be the first law specifically authorizing lane splitting in the United States.

Please write fast folks in Oregon!

Sounds like maybe I should wait till this weekend before posting the video from my new dashcam of my commute to work and back yesterday.
innocent.gif
(It may be surprising to see just how narrow an alley between cars stacked at a light or stopped on a freeway an FJR with side bags can maneuver between....
ohno-smiley02.gif
)

Lead the way, Oregon! It's the right thing to do: It reduces overall congestion (because MCs are not taking the equivalent of an automobile space for themselves); it does not reduce the efficiency of all the cages to get to work or home in the same amount of time (reduces it if you accept previous point); and in this age of increased distracted driving, it reduces the risk to MCs by giving them greater options for moving through traffic (particularly from rear-enders). If passed, public education of MCs and drivers will be very important for making the cultural change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I was serious about MCs, I used to hate Cali drivers. Since I started daily commuting on a bike, I love seeing them. Cali drivers just seem to be hyper-aware of motorcycles. I personally attribute this to regularly having MCs filter and the cagers learning that they have to pay closer attention. There are still the occasional twit who's oblivious to everything around them, but you get that everywhere. I hope this legislation makes it through so the rest of us will have a better chance next time it comes up in our areas. Best of luck, Oregon!

Well, Oregon's lane sharing bill is now officially dead. According to an Oregon rider advocating for the law, it "...was halted in committee after sudden strong opposition from governmental agencies and institutions."

Oregon and Washington both have annual legislative sessions so we can try again next year.

Well, Oregon's lane sharing bill is now officially dead. According to an Oregon rider advocating for the law, it "...was halted in committee after sudden strong opposition from governmental agencies and institutions."
Oregon and Washington both have annual legislative sessions so we can try again next year.
Well, all this time, I thought they were supposed to be doing the will of the people, not the "agencies and institutions".
not_i.gif