OUCH.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Others will disagree, but I say cut your losses and move on. It's a lot like new shoes. If your feet aren't comfortable the first time you put a pair on, they never will be. You didn't mention, but I have to wonder what you rode before? I'm betting the riding position was significantly less 'sporty'?
Tend to agree with that. The bike IS a comfortable long distance ride, maybe not for everyone. Maybe a 'wing would fit you better, just a thought.

Start with the easy stuff. Loose the fruit of the looms and get a pair of LD comfort shorts or a pair of seamless moister wicking sports underwear. Get pants that don't have pockets or seams that you would be sitting on. That is a start but until you get a seat that fits you, there is a limit to how far you can stand to sit on the bike. Never sit on a wallet or on anything that isn't smooth back there.

Yeah, I read the Master Yoda piece, and started with a very cynical attitude. Finished with a completely different mindset, and put it into practice. Helps a LOT.

That said, the stock seat is a 2x6 piece of lumber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I am saving my pennies for a RDL now.

Of course I'll the want the best I can get.

What is everyone's thoughts on pure leather vs that marine canvas or velour product?

And how about your experiences with heated seats. Are they worth it?

I really like this pattern.

FJR_0709_2_zpsx11p187x.jpg

Yeah, I read the Mater Yoda piece, and started with a very cynical attitude. Finished with a completely different mindset, and put it into practice. Helps a LOT.
I don't get that....wife and I have done 700 mile days 2 up on the stock seat fine. I admit, I do like the Sargent we put on better, but the bike had 60k when we put it on.

Have to read that Master Yoda piece tho!

To DaBear, I have had both leather (Corbin) and vinyl (Sargent and Russell) and prefer the vinyl. For me, it was just less hassle in care. YMMV Glad the bike is working out for you

On the question of vinyl vs. leather, etc.: As others have said elsewhere, the RDL vinyl is a thick, high-quality vinyl, not the cheap stuff they make toddlers' ball gloves out of. Very happy with mine.

I just finished an 8300 mile, 3 week trip touring the country on a seat concepts seat. I couldnt have done it on just the seat alone. As lame as it sounds, the best thing I found was beads. I bought seat beads for a car seat and trimmed it to fit the fjr. $6 at autozone and it made all the difference in the world. I had 10-12 hour days on the bike and couldnt have done it without those beads. I stood up at 1 point to stretch my legs and they fell off.... They dont hold up so well at 80mph on the highway. I stopped by an autozone olong the way and got another set for the bike....

Much like you I could only last 100-150 miles on the OEM seat. After the first season on my FJR I opened my wallet, turned my head and bought a Heli triple tree and RDL. The day those were installed I could go from full tank to reserve in complete comfort, then get back on and do it again.

Since you are starting to save now keep in eye out come late fall to early winter, usually a group buy is put together by someone. Good way to save a few bucks on the cost and it will be built specifically for you.

As for the people who say get a Gold Wing, their horses push the cart.
smile.png
I have talked to many motorcycle people over the years and a lot of them made changes to make riding more comfortable. The ones who haven't fall in two categories, ones who want to make changes or the very rare it's perfect right out of the box.

Ride Safe!!

Yeah, I read the Mater Yoda piece, and started with a very cynical attitude. Finished with a completely different mindset, and put it into practice. Helps a LOT.
I don't get that....wife and I have done 700 mile days 2 up on the stock seat fine. I admit, I do like the Sargent we put on better, but the bike had 60k when we put it on.

Have to read that Master Yoda piece tho!

To DaBear, I have had both leather (Corbin) and vinyl (Sargent and Russell) and prefer the vinyl. For me, it was just less hassle in care. YMMV Glad the bike is working out for you
I've got leather on my 05, and when I get the seat done on the new bike, it'll be vinyl. Hopefully less care.

I did 35,000 miles on the stock seat, including many rides of 700+ miles and one SS1K. The 2x6 piece of lumber stock seat did make me hurt a little after the long days, and after a while, I decided the seat shouldn't be a factor in my miles-per-day calculation.

There are few decisions that are more personal and "close to your heart" than the seat you choose. I've documented on here elsewhere that I loved my first '05 FJR the moment I bought it, except for the seat. For whatever reason, I was more comfy on the slimmer VFR800 seat and cushy soft 2001 Concours seats I had prior than on the FJRs rather wide and flat ,firm seat..

After dinking around and spending way-too-much-money to avoid spending "too much money", I finally broke down and got a solo (rider's only) Russell. My mistake, as I ended up having to lay the cash out a second time for the missus later. Those seats are leather. in the half moon stitch pattern which doesn't seem as prone to water damage. I have never done more than a cursory wipe down with Lexol and both still look and feel fabulous 8 years later.

When I bought an old Vstrom to flog on the dirt roads, I got a Russell in Vinyl made for it, thinking it would be more utilitarian. It is that, but it isn't quite as comfortable as the leather on hot sweaty days. So, when I upgraded my '05 FJR to a '14 , and sent my old '05 to live with my son (where it is still being ridden with those same wonderful seats), I decided to go directly to Russell and not pass GO, and fit the new bike with dual leather Russells from the get go. Yeah, there is a small pain when you pay for them. But then there is no pain in the butt later.

They no longer accept forum group buy offers during the winter (too bad, cause I saved a bunch on those), but do tend to offer a discount to everybody during the slower winter season.

The only bike I ever owned that was actually comfortable out of the box with nothing needed over stock, aside from air deflectors was the Victory Vision. Everything else needed some love to make it comfortable.

With the FJR, I get more discomfort from leg position than I do from the stock seat. The highway pegs help, but eventually I just need to get off the thing and walk. I am considering getting something seat concepts seat, or maybe just have the front seat done. I have had LAAM seats in the past and have been happy with them, but with all the resounding praise for the RDL I may have them do my front seat. We shall see.

With that said, I would absolutely buy another FJR.

Latest posts