Our Journey to the

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end and in that vein, it's time to wrap up this report. Not that this is the good thing coming to an end, but the ride itself.

Here were are, Saturday morning, the sixth day of a planned eight day ride, 70 miles from the Jornada del Muerto and close to 1,500 my own hacienda. We decided that with the trouble mfletch was experiencing with his bike he needed to skip the trip over to Trinity and run down to Alamogordo to the Yamaha dealer to get the bike checked out. He headed South and I headed West. It was a beautiful morning but slightly chilly.

IMG_4667.JPG

IMG_4696.JPG

I was kind of thankful we had skipped the camping... but with the sun shining bright it warmed up quick and by the time I got here it was comfortable.

IMG_4720.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

As I rolled up to security at the gate I had to decide whether I was going to fess up to having a firearm on board. Honest Abe admitted to the handgun in my saddle bag and that earned me a solitary walk into the desert to hide the side arm in the desert brush. I must have looked like a moron walking out in the desert but no sooner than I got back to the bike, another Honest Abe pulled his car over and made the same walk.

As I rolled towards the actual blast site (13 miles inside the gate), "Manhattan Project" a song by my favorite band Rush rolled on my ipod.

"Manhattan Project" (in part)

Imagine a time when it all began

In the dying days of a war

A weapon that would settle the score

Whoever found it first would be sure to do their worst

They always had before...

Imagine a man where it all began

A scientist pacing the floor

In each nation, always eager to explore

To build the best big stick

To turn the winning trick

But this was something more...

[Chorus:]

The big bang took and shook the world

Shot down the rising sun

The end was begun and it hit everyone

When the chain reaction was done

The big shots tried to hold it back

Fools tried to wish it away

The hopeful depend on a world without end

Whatever the hopeless may say

Imagine a place where it all began

Gathered from across the land

To work in the secrecy of the desert sand

All of the brightest boys

To play with the biggest toys

More than they bargained for..."

Then all at once, I was there.

The heads of the project considered eight candidate sites, including San Nicolas Island (California), Padre Island (Texas), San Luis Valley, El Malpais National Monument, and other parts of New Mexico. A Mojave Desert Army base near Rice, California was considered the best location, but was opted against because General Leslie Groves, military head of the project, did not wish to have any dealings with Gen. George S. Patton, commander of the base, whom he disliked. The site finally chosen was at the northern end of the White Sands Proving Ground, in Socorro County between the towns of Carrizozo and San Antonio, in the Jornada del Muerto.

IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

Trinity.jpg

This is what is left of Jumbo

IMG_4736.JPG

Birmingham is not listed on here, but if it were it would read somewhere around 1,400 miles.

IMG_4748.JPG

I get a call from Mfletch and he says they have charged up a new battery and he's ready to roll. We decided to meet back in Carrizozo. On the way back, I stop in the Valley of Fires and check out the youngest lava flow in the lower 48. 1500-2000 years old. It's something like 25 miles long and 2-5 miles wide.

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

I get another call from Mfletch and now my new destination is

IMG_4791.JPG

The news isn't good and he's having to pull the plug on the trip. It's 3 pm and I wave good bye to my partner in crime and strike out for home, only 1250 miles away. Off I go, solo...

For whatever reason, the camera didn't get used much on the next, and final leg of the trip. I guess because only a couple of hours into it I decided I would make this an undocumented / unofficial IBA Bun Burner 1500. I got very focused on making Abilene that evening, which would leave me with 850 miles the next day.

On the way home I passed through an Apache battleground, through the impressive oil fields near Artesia, NM and then the vast open spaces of West Texas.

IMG_4805.JPG

IMG_4826.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

When you ride long distances all by your lonesome you have plenty of time to reflect on many things. Among the millions of things I thought about over those next 1250 miles was just how fortunate I am to be able to experience the things I have been able to experience on this this trip. I also though about how fortunate I am to have such a lovely, understanding wife who selflessly allows me to wander around the country selfishly and enjoy myself. Many times I thought about just how bad ass the FJR truly is. I thought about how fortunate I am to I have the opportunity to get out and see many of the great places around this country of ours and meet many wonderful people in the process. For most of the trip I was able to make more memories with my best friend of almost 40 years dating back to my childhood days.

Of the many things I learned on this trip, I learned that this big, beautiful country sometimes has a way of making you feel a little small.

big%2520chair.jpg

and I thought about getting home to my puppy dogs, Alex and Cassie.

IMG_1230.JPG

But, most of all, I thought about how much I couldn't wait until the next time I get a chance to get out here and do it all again!

Thanks for taking the time to share in this awesome trip with me. Until then, I'll leave you with the official Pic of the Trip-

The Sport Touring Salute to you all.

pic%2520of%2520the%2520trip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized I met you yesterday at the S.E. Tech Day and that this was your ride report! Nicely done. Looks like quite the adventure. Seeing snow on the ground in mid April is gotta be strange to see for a Alabama boy! :D

So what was the verdict on Mfletch's bike? Is he planning to head back and hit the Trinity site in October or next year perhaps?

Being that it was Saturday afternoon and that dealership was closed on Monday, mfletch had to rent a car and head home. The last report I heard the dealership didn't have a mechanic with the electrical expertise to diagnose the issue. As I understand they were bringing in someone latter in the week to take a look at it. As for heading back to Trinity and giving it another go, knowing him I wouldn't be surprised but no plans at this time.

BTW gixxer - I passed through Dallas on the way back and stopped in to see my nephew on his little Easter Egg hunt in McKinney. I tried to edit the original post to add this pic but the edit function was unavailable :huh:

Issac%2520Easter%25202012.jpg

GR it was nice to meet you yesterday at the S.E. Tech day. We got a lot accomplished and met new friends in the process. Great day at Tom and Kim's!

When you ride long distances all by your lonesome you have plenty of time to reflect on many things.
Very, VERY nice ride report, Turk.

Makes me very anxious to get out on the road again.

Thanks for taking the time to write 'er up and share with us!

Aw come on. You two have been friends for how long? Surely you could have done the Saddle Sore two up? :D Ok, so there's ways you can reword that sentence and come out with some rather "Interesting" results.

Great report, you've done well. Looks like a very nice trip for sure and one of the best routes you could take to get to the Trinity site. Surely better than the one I was planning, though mine was a few days shorter. I'll be interested in knowing what the outcome with his bike is.

So what was the verdict on Mfletch's bike? Is he planning to head back and hit the Trinity site in October or next year perhaps?
I ended up renting a car and leaving the Feej in Alamagordo. Hopefully it will be fixed and sold. This is the 4th - and last - time it will strand me. I will probably get another sport tour but in the meantime....I will be a STROM TROOPER!!!

Monday in Southern Alabama

120416_0001.jpg

That sucks. Glad you were able to make it home. I wouldn't mind having one of those 650's in the garage, nice bikes for sure!

What were the reasons the FJR stranded you before this trip? Great ride report. I am planning on riding to Navajo Dam in Northern New Mexico in mid-May then north through Silverton. What is the speed limit along the Million Dollar Hwy? Last time I was in Colorado I found the speed limits to be ridiculously low.

PS dodging tornadoes is nuts, especially for a northwest boy like me.

Thanks!

What were the reasons the FJR stranded you before this trip? Great ride report. I am planning on riding to Navajo Dam in Northern New Mexico in mid-May then north through Silverton. What is the speed limit along the Million Dollar Hwy? Last time I was in Colorado I found the speed limits to be ridiculously low.

PS dodging tornadoes is nuts, especially for a northwest boy like me.

mfletch had some prior electrical issues that he thought had been corrected by first, a wiring harness replacement (ground spider issue). Then he had additional trouble. His local Yamaha dealership did the ignition switch "fix", whatever that is. He would have to comment on the specifics. But the bike had been running great for several months with no issues. Obviously, to strike out on an aggressive seven day, 4,000 mile journey we thought the bikes issues had been resolved.

As an update to the current status, he called me last night and said that the electrical guru has located three wires spliced into the ECU that were cut and bound together by silicone. Yep - we said the same thing "WTF"??? so, that's the direction they are headed. It sounds to me like the previous owner had a power commander installed. When it was taken out the wires were just cut and stuck in the silicone??? Sounds crazy, but that's what the pictures the mechanic sent to him show - it's rather bizarre. They are tackling that issue now. Hopefully, they can correct the problem and get the bike back up and running with confidence.

As for the question about the speed limit on the Million Dollar Highway. Quite frankly, while normally speed limits are an issue to me, on the Million Dollar Highway that was the furthest thing from my mind! I was more concerned with staying as close to the center line as possible and not going off a two thousand foot drop off! However, in the other areas of Colorado, we ran our normal, aggressive pace, monitored our radar detectors and kept a close eye out for smokey the bear. The speed limits in those areas seemed to be typical of those found on other like roadways.

As for the tornadoes, being from Alabammer, that's just SOP for us. :blink:

A Power Commander is not spliced into wires going to the ECU. The Audiovox Cruise control has a couple....

Thanks Scooter. I presumed it was a PC from my reading of a PC3 install, it looked like they were wiring into the ECU. But, who knows WTF this was. It's very bizarre to see three rouge wires spliced into the ECU and then run up and stuck into a blob of silicone. I can't tell from the pictures if the ends are tied together or if they are just in the one blob of silicone, but not touching one another. It really makes no sense at all, regardless of what they were there for.... :huh:

Either way, I think they are now on a path to getting things straightened out.

As for the question about the speed limit on the Million Dollar Highway. Quite frankly, while normally speed limits are an issue to me, on the Million Dollar Highway that was the furthest thing from my mind! I was more concerned with staying as close to the center line as possible and not going off a two thousand foot drop off! However, in the other areas of Colorado, we ran our normal, aggressive pace, monitored our radar detectors and kept a close eye out for smokey the bear. The speed limits in those areas seemed to be typical of those found on other like roadways.

As for the tornadoes, being from Alabammer, that's just SOP for us. :blink:
Well as a Washington State born and raised fellow I grew up riding on crazy mountain trails and roads in the Cascades. So long steep drop of for me are like dodging the tornadoes for you. I will take the mountain road; much easier to predict than the direction of a tornado.

Thanks for the great trip report and the reasons mfletch's bike left him stranded. It makes me happy I bought mine new - it cost me a lot and depreciated like crazy but I will enjoy it for many years to come.

This truly an excellent ride report! I passed through some of the same areas from Durango back through Santa Fe on April 6th and passed through Amarillo the morning of the 7th, too early for a steak at the Big Texan. Your trip was probably more exciting though, I was in a 3/4 ton diesel 4wd with my wife and son returning to Louisiana. I loved northern New Mexico and returned to tell my riding buddies that it was definitely on our list of places to ride. I really like the way you stagger the pictures into the report, it brings it home nicely. Thanks for sharing.