Overseas Medical Insurance Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I got thinking about the possibility of something happening this summer on that Alps trip, so I called my insurance provider--Kaiser--to ask about the coverage I have. They cover ambulance and rescue services anywhere in the world. Check. They cover emergency services and even emergency clinics too. But if I was admitted to a hospital, things stack up fast.

I know there's been discussion about this, but for one thing much of it is kind of old, and much of it is too general to be much use. I'm considering two options: policies that will fly you home (like this one), and policies that would offer medical coverage in Europe if needed. That first one would get me back to my own local hospital for only $125 for 15 days of coverage. Seems pretty good. But I'd like to compare it to something that would cover medical expenses in Europe too, and maybe medical coverage combined with the return flight option. Anybody have information about any of this? Thanks.

(Since I'm already covered for rescue and emergency tx, guess if any policy I bought excluded that I'd save a little.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got thinking about the possibility of something happening this summer on that Alps trip, so I called my insurance provider--Kaiser--to ask about the coverage I have. They cover ambulance and rescue services anywhere in the world. Check. They cover emergency services and even emergency clinics too. But if I was admitted to a hospital, things stack up fast.

I know there's been discussion about this, but for one thing much of it is kind of old, and much of it is too general to be much use. I'm considering two options: policies that will fly you home (like this one), and policies that would offer medical coverage in Europe if needed. That first one would get me back to my own local hospital for only $125 for 15 days of coverage. Seems pretty good. But I'd like to compare it to something that would cover medical expenses in Europe too, and maybe medical coverage combined with the return flight option. Anybody have information about any of this? Thanks.

(Since I'm already covered for rescue and emergency tx, guess if any policy I bought excluded that I'd save a little.)
HI Mike,

For some traveling I've done (arctic, galapagos) I've used some medical insurance from American Express. I'm not at that computer now but can look up a reference for you later.

Fred

7X

My wife works in aero-medical evacuation in the military. Some of the nurses there do that for private companies too, and they said you can expect to see $15k - $30k to be flown someplace while receiving medical attention. This may not be necessary in some of the civilized parts of the world (Alp's), but there are places you don't want to see what the hospitals are like. And most health policies don't cover these transportation costs (good for you [sacramentoMike] for looking into this first).

There are various insurance co's that will cover these costs, like https://medjetassist.com/ and probably a slew of others (I just googled that one). Maybe someone else here can suggest one from personal experience?

SacMike, if you're a member of AAA, check with them for various travel policies available. For last year's loop into Canada, I purchased a limited policy that included health and emergency evacuation. IIRC various limits were available, and the $100K policy was very reasonable in cost.

Have a great time on the ride!

--G

If you haven't already lined up insurance, check out Squaremouth.com to shop for travel/medical insurance. They are highly regarded in the travel industry and offer an easy way to compare various policies to get the best value/cost.

Thanks to Mike for bringing this up and to Harald for the squaremouth website. One thing to keep in mind, while purchasing my policy, while checking the fine print, under some policies exclusions they listed "Motorcycling" :eek: . Needless to say, read that stuff before purchasing coverage or you might need cardiac help when you're denied a claim request.

JW

I got thinking about the possibility of something happening this summer on that Alps trip, so I called my insurance provider--Kaiser--
Huh? Kaiser... uhhh really???

Personally, I'd go with these guys; DAN

Cheers to Sacramento Mike for taking a life/time adventure! :clapping:

I got thinking about the possibility of something happening this summer on that Alps trip, so I called my insurance provider--Kaiser--
Huh? Kaiser... uhhh really???

Personally, I'd go with these guys; DAN

Cheers to Sacramento Mike for taking a life/time adventure! :clapping:

When we were down in Roatan a couple months ago, we had dinner with a couple traveling the world (about the last 5 years) on their catamaran. They had the DAN coverage. Just the basic membership gives you $100k in evacuation coverage worldwide. check them out. this is not full travel insurance, nor medical coverage. Just evacuation coverage to an adequate medical facility. Anywhere in the world. If you travel alot, and all you want is to get to a medical facility in an emergency this is the cat's pajamas. $55/yr for a family.