paint/? it black

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODan

Reaction score
So I'm getting my 08 in a couple months, if we ever dig out from the snow.

And all black sounds good to me. Here's what I'd like to change

1) "collar" at bottom of tank - plastic and paintable

2) muffler - any ideas for doing a nice job but not spending a fortune?

3) various exposed brackets - I assume I can have powder coated

But exposed parts of the frame remain stock.

Thinking about adding a big red stripe to the fairing and the tank too (not including the seat though) kind of like this

blackredFJR.jpg

Any ideas or comments, especially on how to do the parts in black?

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
I say leave it the way it is and spend all that paint money on functional farkles.

If you want powder coating done, just contact Garauld.

on the exhaust; "black chrome"? I think Yam had some 'Specials' around 1980 that had the black chrome on them. Maybe it didn't burn off.

So I'm getting my 08 in a couple months, if we ever dig out from the snow.
And all black sounds good to me. Here's what I'd like to change

1) "collar" at bottom of tank - plastic and paintable

2) muffler - any ideas for doing a nice job but not spending a fortune?

3) various exposed brackets - I assume I can have powder coated

<snip>

Any ideas or comments, especially on how to do the parts in black?

Thx
For powder coating I can highly recommend Finishing First Inc. in Tigard, OR, 503-620-7001 email link I've had them do a lot of textured powder coat for my softail project. Fantastic work.

For the pipes I've good results with Ceramic Coatings. They can be applied over chrome and do not melt off like powder coating can if it gets too hot. That work I take to Finish Line Coatings/RM Engineering Finish Line Coatings 503-659-4278

They offer a matte black 'thermal barrier coating' as well as a more satin version called 'Ceramachrome' that may be available in black. I've seen some colors, but don't recall black.

Both vendors are excellent and have provided me with great service at good prices.

I've been messing around w/ ideas for two-toning an '08 myself, and while I haven't come-up w/ just the same dividing lines as yours, I like what you've arrived at really well, ...& the color combo too!! On the pipes, I'd agree w/ OCFjr, cerami-coating is the way to go, and I can second his recommendation for Finish Line as the outfit to do it having dealt w/ them myself, ...first rate. Somebody who likes stock pipes might buy your original cans for enuf to offset the cost of something ROARTY in carbon fiber to go w/ your darkened headers. Go for it!