Parts Availability Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
My 2015 ES went in for service a week ago. Service called to say the heat shield should be replaced (damaged by another shop a while ago) and the fuel line connector also needed to be replaced. At that time, I was told 3 weeks to get parts from Japan and none could be found in the US! Today I'm told October 20th for parts. WTF? Something is not right here as I see nothing on the forum about parts issues.  Any of you have problems getting parts?

Early in the pandemic there were all kinds of parts supply/shipping issues.  I don't know if that is still the case.  It's not completely unusual for an obscure part to be on 'backorder' from Japan.  You could try calling Yamaha corporate and see what they have to say about it.

Something is not right here as I see nothing on the forum about parts issues.

Something is not right here as I see nothing on the forum about parts issues. 
Fuel line connector and heat shield?  I agree with Spinny ^^^.  You don't hear it mentioned on the forum probably because they've rarely been replaced.

Fuel line connector and heat shield?  I agree with Spinny ^^^.  You don't hear it mentioned on the forum probably because they've rarely been replaced.
Courtesy of ham-handed untrained staff at a shop I went to in the past. These are the same guys who took my bike out for a test ride without installing the tank bag and caught the straps in the forks, ripping out some wiring. Also the guys who failed to fasten one of the side heat deflectors on Theresa's bike. Came off! Also forgot to tighten  rear axle fill plug so ended up with an oil puddle by the rear wheel. Plug dropped out when I touched it. And many more. I don't go there no more!

These are not parts normally stocked so have to order from the factory, thus the extra long delay.

Courtesy of ham-handed untrained staff at a shop I went to in the past......
It's been shared mutliple times on the forum before...these are kind of reasons a lot of us end up doing our own work on our bikes.  Start by changing engine and final drive oil and the next thing you know you're taking off forks at a tech meet.  Yes, you still end up messing up a few things, but far less than it seems your dealer does and rarely on stuff that has to be shipped from Japan.  Just sayin'. ;)

My last two orders for OE parts (for more obscure stuff) had major delays and kept getting pushed later and later. I finally gave up and scored the items on ebay. I've found searching with both description and p/n will find the parts if they're available.

Happy hunting!

~G

Evening KFlyer, seems I remember you having similar dealer issues with your BMW bike(s).  Maybe you should think about maybe becoming your own wrench especially where the FJR is concerned.  I know in my neck of the woods there are quite a few Yamaha dealers but virtually none have ever seen much less actually worked on an FJR.  Even for BMW in Oregon there is only one dealer I would ever trust if I needed expertise that is beyond my pay grade. Sad but it's just how it is.  Routine maintenance is actually pretty easy on most bikes.

Courtesy of ham-handed untrained staff at a shop I went to in the past. These are the same guys who took my bike out for a test ride without installing the tank bag and caught the straps in the forks, ripping out some wiring. Also the guys who failed to fasten one of the side heat deflectors on Theresa's bike. Came off! Also forgot to tighten  rear axle fill plug so ended up with an oil puddle by the rear wheel. Plug dropped out when I touched it. And many more. I don't go there no more!

These are not parts normally stocked so have to order from the factory, thus the extra long delay.
Do tell, What dealer is this? We do not want any Forum member having them work on our bikes!! :not_i:

My last two orders for OE parts (for more obscure stuff) had major delays and kept getting pushed later and later. I finally gave up and scored the items on ebay. I've found searching with both description and p/n will find the parts if they're available.

Happy hunting!

~G
Speaking of hunting (and related to parts delays). I've had a scope for my rifle on back order since February! I just got slipped again for another 2-5 months. I cancelled the order. Totally unrelated to the FJR except as an example that these things are happening.

My 2015 ES went in for service a week ago. Service called to say the heat shield should be replaced (damaged by another shop a while ago) and the fuel line connector also needed to be replaced. At that time, I was told 3 weeks to get parts from Japan and none could be found in the US! Today I'm told October 20th for parts. WTF? Something is not right here as I see nothing on the forum about parts issues.  Any of you have problems getting parts?
My 2014 had to wait months for a part. And that was before covid inhibited anyone’s production or shipping. Given how reliable these bikes tend to be, I don’t think there’s tremendous depth in Yamaha’s replacement parts stock. 

Ordered a Yamaha Touring screen recently, only to be told they were on nationwide backorder. 

Of course, right now, virus precautions could be factoring in as well...

Speaking solely of shipping, USPS is consistently unable to provide any semblance of an effective shipping or tracking system these days.

UPS and Fedex (and Prime) are fairly reliable, but even they are often delaying packages by a day or two  

Good points, Bill. Both UPS and FedEx are more often losing things now than before the panic. I seldom had a lost package before. I've now claimed 5 refunds for things that never showed and they had no clue where the packages were. A couple showed up a month or more after the refund (and it's likely the packaging shows serious damage).

Speaking of hunting (and related to parts delays). I've had a scope for my rifle on back order since February! I just got slipped again for another 2-5 months. I cancelled the order. Totally unrelated to the FJR except as an example that these things are happening.
I think you will find the delay in shipping your rifle scope was due to a very high demand for fire arms/accessories not due to FJR rare parts where there is very little demand.

I think you will find the delay in shipping your rifle scope was due to a very high demand for fire arms/accessories not due to FJR rare parts where there is very little demand.
I've had a lot of other stuff get lost or delayed too; not just the scope (it was the worst). No matter where it ships from. So I attribute it to the shippers. Those of us who were already doing on-line shopped were body slammed by the late- comers; not unlike the internet. :D

Got busy with some other problems but want to get back and address some of the comments:

Being my own wrench: I wish I could. I did most of my own work years ago and still have the tools, but back problems (sciatica) and fallout from an accident really limit what I can do physically. The last time I changed a front tire I ended up needing physical therapy. My only workspace would be a small shed that would not be feasible when the temperature gets over 95. One last point -- I am really disgusted by those who say that if you don't fix your own bike, you shouldn't be riding.

Identifying the shop: Management and personnel change. The shop that screwed up my bike was recommended by people here. But when I went there, I saw that they had untrained kids wrenching on the bikes. For example, they did not know the difference between metric and SAE Allen keys. The last time there, I saw one loosening a nut with a pair of slip joint pliers. I went back to a shop that had screwed up once on Theresa's bike but at least they rectified the problem. Had a long chat with the owner and shop manager to stress my expectations. And we check the bike over, as much as possible when we pick them up, and again when we get them home. Always end up having to adjust the MotoLights. Oddly enough, the best service I got was in a shop in Idaho with nothing but ATV's and dirt bikes anywhere visible. When I expressed my concerns, the tech took me back in the shop where the owners  FJR1300 was parked.

Problems with the BMW K1200GT: Totally different situations. The shop was very good, the bike design was very bad. The failures were almost never a shop issue, except perhaps the time they put Theresa's seat on in the wrong position. Unfortunately, shop management decreed that they will only work on the bikes they sell: BMW, Ducati and Triumph. In 49k miles on my FJR, I've had a fuse fail that lost cruise control operation and a weeping fork seal. Nothing that took me off the road on a trip. In 47k miles, Theresa has not had one failure on the bike. With the BMW's we were never confident we would make it home without a problem.

I could look at the bright side and say that the low stock of parts for the FJR is a testament to their reliability. It's also a testament to how few there out on the roads.

Got busy with some other problems but want to get back and address some of the comments:

Being my own wrench: I wish I could. I did most of my own work years ago and still have the tools, but back problems (sciatica) and fallout from an accident really limit what I can do physically. The last time I changed a front tire I ended up needing physical therapy. My only workspace would be a small shed that would not be feasible when the temperature gets over 95. One last point -- I am really disgusted by those who say that if you don't fix your own bike, you shouldn't be riding.

Identifying the shop: Management and personnel change. The shop that screwed up my bike was recommended by people here. But when I went there, I saw that they had untrained kids wrenching on the bikes. For example, they did not know the difference between metric and SAE Allen keys. The last time there, I saw one loosening a nut with a pair of slip joint pliers. I went back to a shop that had screwed up once on Theresa's bike but at least they rectified the problem. Had a long chat with the owner and shop manager to stress my expectations. And we check the bike over, as much as possible when we pick them up, and again when we get them home. Always end up having to adjust the MotoLights. Oddly enough, the best service I got was in a shop in Idaho with nothing but ATV's and dirt bikes anywhere visible. When I expressed my concerns, the tech took me back in the shop where the owners  FJR1300 was parked.

Problems with the BMW K1200GT: Totally different situations. The shop was very good, the bike design was very bad. The failures were almost never a shop issue, except perhaps the time they put Theresa's seat on in the wrong position. Unfortunately, shop management decreed that they will only work on the bikes they sell: BMW, Ducati and Triumph. In 49k miles on my FJR, I've had a fuse fail that lost cruise control operation and a weeping fork seal. Nothing that took me off the road on a trip. In 47k miles, Theresa has not had one failure on the bike. With the BMW's we were never confident we would make it home without a problem.

I could look at the bright side and say that the low stock of parts for the FJR is a testament to their reliability. It's also a testament to how few there out on the roads.
You should just say screw it and buy a Harley. All the parts are made in America. Haha! Sorry man. Good luck!

I don't think I've seen anyone on this forum say that if you can't wrench you shouldn't be riding.  Then again, I haven't lurked into the bowels of all the topics.
Sucks that 1) the parts are backordered and 2) that you had a bad experience with that other shop.

My local yamaha dealer I use for parts states all orders are delayed 3-5 days...not sure how they know that when I haven't ordered anything :)

If you're talking about the heatshield under the fuel tank; ebay might be a good source?
p/n 1MC-2416F-00-00 ?
Ebay -- the description says it'll be delayed, but not months.

Maybe you or they could search for the fuel line thingy too?  I realize it's not direct from Yamaha, but if you need this stuff to get out an ride, it might be worth pushing to get the parts sooner.

Rode the FJR to the local Honda/Kawi dealer to class the place up some and ask about recall for our Pioneer.  The showroom was nearly bare.  Must not only be affecting parts.

Still Waiting! 🤬 Service manager said "5 weeks" on August 9th. Confirmed that a couple of weeks ago when I talked to Parts and they told me October 20th. Looks like Parts was more like it. So between Covid-19 restrictions and delays in getting parts, our riding year is screwed. Passes will be snowed in before I get the bike back. Maybe HotRodZilla has it right "You should just say screw it and buy a Harley."