Pathfinder's 48plus/10-10s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the weather improves from the current forecast before he gets to my neck of the woods. Early next week, up the road, for example Dillon, MT, rain/snow showers, highs mid to high 40's, lows possibly below 32...His MT through the first part of ID could be very cold... Once he's to Pocatello and beyond probably no possibility of snow, though...

Man, he is moving at times. He made it from the south end of Rockford (where I live) to the north end of Madison WI in an hour and 10 minutes, give or take. That is about 20 minutes faster than I would plan for that ride.

Man, he is moving at times. He made it from the south end of Rockford (where I live) to the north end of Madison WI in an hour and 10 minutes, give or take. That is about 20 minutes faster than I would plan for that ride.
Your right he's moving pretty good hopefully not too good, them 'sconsin state trooper don't like that :big_boss:

No, they don't. Got me for $168.00 on my fist SS1K for measly 68 in a 55. I bet he would have crapped his pants had he know the triple digits I was running at about 20 minutes before I met up with him.

wow,

this has really been some great fun following him ....he ain't shy about puttin' down some miles.

Looks like he'll be a bit short of his "guestimated" destination for the night ....we'll have to wait and see where he catches a bit of sleep.

Certainly has been through a lot of stuff over the last couple of days!!

100521BBGforum.JPG

Tony (101st) is having an issue with his headlights; I guess he just has low beams now. Is there anyone along the way that can help in some way? Suggest a shop?

He's taking a power nap now at a rest stop near Concordia, MO and should be up and going ~11am eastern time; I'll give out his cell# on a PM.

Tony (101st) is having an issue with his headlights; I guess he just has low beams now. Is there anyone along the way that can help in some way? Suggest a shop?
He's taking a power nap now at a rest stop near Concordia, MO and should be up and going ~11am eastern time; I'll give out his cell# on a PM.
Have you gotten a response yet? Do you or Tony have the FJR Assistance list? There area couple of likely FJR forum members in the St Louis area.

Have you gotten a response yet? Do you or Tony have the FJR Assistance list? There area couple of likely FJR forum members in the St Louis area.
I haven't gotten a response yet from anyone on the forum; I also have not talked to Tony since the earlier conversation, but I "think" he has the assistance list...

I sure hope whatever issue is minor and/or can be easily addressed/fixed.

Tony is on a wonderful start to an awesome ride. He sure has captured my imagination -the guy is flat keeping the wheels moving!!!

OK, I just got off the phone with him; he found a Yam/Suz/Honda shop on I64 ~20 miles W of the IL border and is getting the work done now.

And yes, he does have the FJR assistance list...

He told me some good accounts of his ride so far; I guess he considered turning back the first day as he thought he'd be too far behind going up that eastern corridor, traffic, construction delays, plus missed a crucial turnoff somewhere in Connecticut and that took some miles and time to get back on track.

Things look good now, he's made up some time and is heading to a friends house late tonight in Louisiana I think for a shower, wash clothes while he gets some good sleep.

Does this guy ever sleep? dood.

As epic as this ride is, I don't envy him one bit right now. 1600 miles of I-40/17/8 from Little Rock to (presumably) around El Centro/Mexicali area for the Mexico reciept. I want to tear my hair out riding from PHX to CoS, and thats only half the distance.

Best of luck bro!

I witnessed his start in WPB, FL. After, he went for a 22 hour ride and I went to sleep. Been watching it live a couple of times a day. Go Tony, go!!

It looks like he is a little off his planned pace right now. As long as he rides safe, I am sure he'll make it up.

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like he's right about 60 MPH average between ABQ and Flagstaff. Seems a little slow for this stretch of I-40?

Hell of a good job though!

Looks like the weather may break just in time for him to get through his Montana/Eastern Idaho leg. Saturday we had a brief blizzard w/sideways snow and really strong wind gusts, and never got out of the 40's. Sunday morning it got to 28 degrees in town. Probably bad news on any higher elevation passes around here.

Assuming he gets through here on Wednesday, forecast is for a 30+ degree temp. bump and may hit 70's drying out, so the weather gods may be smiling on his ride. I'm going to try to figure out when he'll come through here as my office is all of about 1/2 mile from where he'll pass by...

This ride he's doing is amazing--far beyond anything I'd be willing to (probably ever) try!

Best of luck bro!
I've been sayin' / thinking the same thing!!

Looks like he's right about 60 MPH average between ABQ and Flagstaff. Seems a little slow for this stretch of I-40?
Wonder if strong winds through there ....perhaps other things -remember that is MUCH higher altitude than people guess.

Looks like the weather may break just in time for him to get through his Montana/Eastern Idaho leg. Saturday we had a brief blizzard w/sideways snow and really strong wind gusts, and never got out of the 40's. Sunday morning it got to 28 degrees in town. Probably bad news on any higher elevation passes around here.
Assuming he gets through here on Wednesday, forecast is for a 30+ degree temp. bump and may hit 70's drying out, so the weather gods may be smiling on his ride. I'm going to try to figure out when he'll come through here as my office is all of about 1/2 mile from where he'll pass by...
The snow we got here in Reno a couple of days ago hit SLC etc yesterday (snow in SLC this morning) ...so your update is a positive one -he may just hit a wonderful window and avoid the bad stuff.

Best of luck bro!
I've been sayin' / thinking the same thing!!

Wonder if strong winds through there ....perhaps other things -remember that is MUCH higher altitude than people guess.

The snow we got here in Reno a couple of days ago hit SLC etc yesterday (snow in SLC this morning) ...so your update is a positive one -he may just hit a wonderful window and avoid the bad stuff.
Yea--what a difference a day or two can make. Current conditions in Idaho Falls: 39 degrees and steady rain (UPDATE: Make that Big Fluffy White Snowflakes!) .... Just would not be a good situation if he had left 2 days earlier... Wednesday's Forecast: 75 high, mostly sunny :)

Hell of a good job though!
There was some construction when I went through there about 4 weeks ago. It's likely still there.

I've ridden that stretch many times and As RenoJohn mentioned, there are alot of environmental factors. I have no doubts that he hit some stiff gusty wind on that stretch. He also rode it in the middle of the night. meaning it was likely cold, Flag is 7000' ASL.

Is he carrying aux fuel? the 325mi stretch is more than one reg tank.

I got a phone call from Tony a couple of hours ago and he was in Phoenix. If I didn't have to take my son Seth (13) to Elementary School, I'd planned to meet him for a breakfast stop.

I gave him detailed information on the USA border crossing with Mexico at Calexico; told him about an OXXO la Tienda right over El Centro Street crossing, where he can get his receipt.

I got a phone call from Tony a couple of hours ago and he was in Phoenix. If I didn't have to take my son Seth (13) to Elementary School, I'd planned to meet him for a breakfast stop.
I gave him detailed information on the USA border crossing with Mexico at Calexico; told him about an OXXO la Tienda right over El Centro Street crossing, where he can get his receipt.
I've been watching pathfinder's and ldryder's rides....and it's an interesting contrast in route choices and styles. Dennis is about efficiency to the point he pre-staged Calexico as his starting point and did a serious "Doh!" when he had to backtrack 40 miles after accidentally missing Rhode Island. Tony's is much more brute force about gobbling up miles and meandering a very interesting way around the continent.

They haven't crossed paths yet...but they may within the next few days as they make Etch-a-Sketch marks towards Washington, B.C., then eventually Alaska.