PCH to South then North thru central California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorSSJ

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip for early May and the plan is to take the PCH from the Arcata area to the southern part of Ca. Then I'd like to find a good route going northward thru central Ca. I'm looking for nice twisty roads that will lead me to some of the scenic areas, including Yosemite NP. I want to avoid the freeways, unless needed for short connecting routes. I'd love to get some opinions from people who know the area.

Thanks!

Having spent a couple days in north California with friends last May, I can tell you that CA 96 and CA 36 offer some non-coastal twisty joy.

Good luck in your quest.

Cyclepath

I've heard that hwy 36 is a great road, but when I've crossed over I've taken 299 which is just north of 36. Can you or anyone tell me how they compare? Also, where is hwy 96?

36 is a must ride road, 299 is for regular folks in cages and RV's. How much time do you have for your return ride in central Ca? Where do you want to end up in Ca before heading east? With all the rain/ snow we are getting some of the high country passes may not be open in early May. A few more details will help with the planning :)

Nice info!

I always thought 299 was the more twisty, less traveled road. I guess I will have to check out 36! I've rode the PCH from the north to Arcata, now I would like to do the rest of it going south from the Arcata area. I know it can be congested and more in the heavily populated areas, but I want to check it out

Actually, while CA 36 is good, we enjoyed county road A16 (Platina to Redding) immensely. No vehicles for about 30 miles of twisty, lonely blacktop with so many turns and high overlooks. Felt curve-drunk and had to stop for pie & coffee to celebrate. North of that, we came down from Grants Pass Oregon via Greyback Road (wow - no disappointments there) to Happy Camp, then south on CA 96 which has canyons and quiet beauty without traffic.

Damn - now I wanna plan another trip for California rides all over again...

Regarding your return northbound, central Ca in the valley is flat and for the most part, straight and boring on a bike. Depending on your exit from SoCal, you could pickup Hwy 178 to Lake Isabella, north on mountan Hwy 99 past Kernville to Hwy 190 to Porterville. If closed by snow, after Lake Isabella take Hwy 155. In either case, join up on Hwy 65 and take it north to Hwy 245 (personal favorite) and take it to Hwy 180. You could take Hwy 198 east, up through Sequoia Park, but you'd miss that great Hwy 245. Take Hwy 180 west to Hwy 41, then north toward Yosemite. After visiting Yosemite, take Hwy 140 west to Hwy 49, then take Hwy 49 north to Hwy 89/70 north. Continue on Hwy 89 north, which will eventually get you in the neighborhood of Hwy 36. You can take 36 west as Mt. Lassen rd (Hwy 89) will most likely be closed until late June due to all the snow we've been having. Check with Bugnator for roads up near Hwy 36 as I'm sure he has suggestions for that area. Oh, don't forget to ride Quincy/La Porte road and then Hwy 70 (follows the Feather River), lots to choose from. Hope you've got about 3 weeks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw on the weather report that the southern Sierra Nevada mountains (Yosemite area) are currently at 180% of normal snow pack, with more rain/snow in the forecast. IMO, the best E-W roads in that area are the passes, Hwy 120, 108, and 89 (south to north). Right now, I'd guess your chance of making it over all of them in early May are iffy. That snow is DEEP. You can get good info on line from Caltrans and the CHP--just google "Cali highway conditions."

As for your ride down the coast, both 36 and 299 are very fun rides, but they don't get you south. They get you inland from 101 and you really don't want to come to California to ride I-5. Take 101 out of Eureka, see the Avenue of the Giants, and make the turn not too far south of there at Leggett where you'll leave 101 and get on Hwy 1 toward Fort Bragg. The first 50 miles or so is super twisty, elevations changes, gorgeous scenery through old-growth redwoods and very little traffic. Lets you off on the coast. You can follow 1 as far as you want. You may never want to get off. Believe me, you'll be right on the edge of the continent for many miles. Amazing views, twists and curves you won't believe, and again, very light traffic. It's just too twisty and scary for most any car driver, but for an FJR? It's heaven. You might just want to stay on Hwy. 1 all the way to Mexico.

CA 395 was scenic last May, though we ended up riding in cold rain most of the day.

The 'badlands of Oregon' were well, bad IMHO. Hit some snow there too as we headed north past Goose Lake, ultimately ending that day in Ontario, OR.

Pleasant climbs and canyon curves about half an hour southwest of Ontario, but it was a small treat at the end of a long, cold day.

We could have you running in circles without more information of where you come into the state, your destination in Southern Ca and where you want to exit the state. Of course in the mean time you will be having a blast and may never get home.

Former Minnesotian here, where are you in the land of frozen lakes?

I did Highway 1 North to South last September.

Just remember, Construction zones and One Lane Road Ahead are your friends.

I went to the "Head of the Line" at every Flagman Ahead stoppage, something I can't do here at home.

That "Filtering" or whatever you want to call it is outstanding, being first out of the chute at a construction zone, where you may have been sitting for 15 minutes gives you a lot of unimpeded roadway ahead.

There will be a lot of "Slide Cleanup" on CA 1 along the coast after this years heavy rains. You'll have plenty of opportunities to be first!

California Highway Patrol does run Radar, but they usually seem to leave it on all the time which "Generally" gives you plenty of advance warning if you are properly equipped.

I did Highway 1 North to South last September.

California Highway Patrol does run Radar, but they usually seem to leave it on all the time which "Generally" gives you plenty of advance warning if you are properly equipped.
I totally agree, Hwy 1 south of Leggett must be ridden on 2 wheels to really appreciate what a fine bit of roadway it really is. Yes, filtering and lane splitting help temper the many other frustrating laws our fine state legislators feel they must impose on us.Regarding CHP running constant radar, not in the central valley or mountain highways. Being a resident, I constantly encounter 20 secs on, followed by 20-30 secs off cycles. JSNS.

Buggie knows all the good roads. Listen to Bugs. I used to think I knew all the good roads in this area, I don't think that anymore since I started riding with him.

Thanks for all the great replys guys.

My plan is to come from Lewiston (95 to 20 to 395 to Susanville) Idaho and I think catch hwy 36 at Susanville and then take it all the way to the coast.

Then I plan on taking the PCH or and hwy 1 all the way to San Clemente.

I've heard the southern parts of the PCH are really nice. Is it worth taking it that far south?

Due to the population density I'm really not sure how long it will take to get from the Eureka area to San Clemente avoiding the freeways and pretty much staying along the coast as much as possible. I'm hoping those familiar with the area can give me good estimates, along with areas not to miss and those to avoid.

Eureka to San Francisco easy one day ride.

San Francisco to Los Angeles easy one day ride.

South of Malibu is mostly City streets or Freeway,

if you have to get to San Clemente you're going to have to deal with some nasty ass traffic.

BigJohn is right. Unless you HAVE to go to San Clemente I would head inland around Santa Barbara or before, nothing worth seeing in LA from a bike. Carver and CAJW plus others know that part of Ca better than I.

Here's a suggestion because Lassen National Volcano will most likely still be closed due to snow. How about getting off 395 in Alturas and go check out Burney Falls and Subway caves (a lava tube). Both are right off the highway and easy to get to but worth checking out. I admit I haven't been to Burney Falls yet ( yes I do deserve to be slapped over that) because it's a must see in these parts. Bring a flash light for the cave, it's a short 1/4 mile walk through it but worth the time and free!.

Depending on where you start but if you make Redding your over night location then you could enjoy 36 on a fresh day in the morning and Ave of the Giants in the afternoon. Fill up in Redding, not much for cheap fuel on the way over to the coast. If your tires are flat spotted at all from the ride out 36 will fix that
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Alturas,+CA+96101/Burney+Falls,+Shasta+County,+CA/Subway+Cave+Lava+Tubes,+Old+Station,+CA/Redding,+CA/Fortuna,+CA/@40.7520065,-122.0899402,9.24z/data=!4m37!4m36!1m5!1m1!1s0x54cb90ad699500f3:0x7d078a723c607139!2m2!1d-120.5424555!2d41.4871146!1m5!1m1!1s0x54cda79191802799:0x605002b233078792!2m2!1d-121.6527649!2d41.0107162!1m5!1m1!1s0x54cd38c47335ef91:0xccd8b05cc3cbb321!2m2!1d-121.418957!2d40.6860027!1m10!1m1!1s0x54d291d63b4a202f:0x1f3358ec7b360f57!2m2!1d-122.3916754!2d40.5865396!3m4!1m2!1d-122.660753!2d40.4394706!3s0x54d2e1bf14930401:0xffc6b71085660cdf!1m5!1m1!1s0x54d40a8b7db16ccf:0x33947768f4e3df6e!2m2!1d-124.1572756!2d40.5981867!3e0?hl=en