PCiii and gas milage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300Mark

Reaction score
I installed the PC III and really liked the way it made the throttle responce smooth out. I also installed the throttle tube with the variable cam. The throttle cam makes it a little smoother when starting out.

I noticed the gas milage with the PC III installed has increased my mpg. This is not a scientific test just the average readings from the FJR instrument panel.

Stock bike 39.7 mpg

PCIII fjr map 46.1 mpg

PCIII Wally's smoothness map 51.3 mpg

I did a search on this and found one post saying that just installing the pcIII would increase your indicated mpg because of the way it is calculated by the computer and your actual mpg would remain nearly the same or go down slightly. I have not measured the miles per gallon at each fillup. I will start to track that over the next few tanks to put some science to the readings.

Has anyone else seen these same results? Or do you have actual mpg measurements to share?

I think the general thought has been tha the 07's mpg computer is very optimistic. Best way to know for sure is to record the miles and gallons at each fill up. My 05' with PCIII and whatever custom map it has was netting me an actual 42mpg. Just changed the map Sunday for shits & grins and we'll see what that gets.

Your dash mileage will be even more optimistic with a PCIII. Remember the PCIII alters fuel AFTER the ECU and dash, but before the injectors, so your mileage will be less than shown. But as long as you liked the changes, who cares; you have 6.6 gallons in there, which gives you plenty of range either way. Good luck.

JC

QUOTE(Calimus @ Jul 4 2007, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the general thought has been tha the 07's mpg computer is very optimistic. ...

My stock '06 average MPG reading is very optimistic on short runs where I'm getting high 30's [uK], but quite accurate on longer trips where I'm getting low 50's [uK]. FWIW I'm fairly anal about my consumption, all is logged (with graphs) here.

(Swift approx conversion UK -> US mpg:

UK US

30 25

35 29.1

40 33.3

45 37.5

50 41.6

55 45.8

60 50

Last edited by a moderator:
My actual mileage went down. I was getting close to 50 mpg and now get between 40-44mpg. However the throttle response is so smooth.

My actual mileage dropped by more than 10%, while the indicated mileage on the instrument cluster only dropped slightly. End result, on one long-distance trip I was trying to haul ass (80-90mph) and tried to stretch my tank out too far, ran out of gas exactly 1 mile from the exit. I could see the friggin gas station. Calculating from the instrument cluster, I should have had at least another 25 miles of fuel left; cluster showed 35mpg, actual was more like 30mpg--word to the wise! Fortunately another skooter-rider and his girlfriend were driving by and felt bad for the dumbass standing in the rain. They lived in the town at that exit, so they picked me up, got a gas can from their house, took me to a station and then back to my bike. Very nice people!

Anyway, I have since dropped the zero-map into the PCIII, and actual mileage returned to match mileage displayed on the cluster. Personally, I didn't think the bike was THAT much smoother, not to warrant such a large drop in mileage. I'm considering getting a hub so I can have 2 maps stored--one for improved mileage to get to the twisties, and one for smoothness in the twisties. I'd love to take a PC along so that I could have as many maps as I wanted, but on two-week, two-up tours I just don't have the space. So it's either the hub, the LCD screen, or I sell my PCIII on the forum. :(

I installed the PC III and really liked the way it made the throttle responce smooth out. I also installed the throttle tube with the variable cam. The throttle cam makes it a little smoother when starting out.
I noticed the gas milage with the PC III installed has increased my mpg. This is not a scientific test just the average readings from the FJR instrument panel.

Stock bike 39.7 mpg

PCIII fjr map 46.1 mpg

PCIII Wally's smoothness map 51.3 mpg

I did a search on this and found one post saying that just installing the pcIII would increase your indicated mpg because of the way it is calculated by the computer and your actual mpg would remain nearly the same or go down slightly. I have not measured the miles per gallon at each fillup. I will start to track that over the next few tanks to put some science to the readings.

Has anyone else seen these same results? Or do you have actual mpg measurements to share?
I got 38 with the PCIII and the smoothness map using manual calculations.

QUOTE(mcatrophy @ Jul 4 2007, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE(Calimus @ Jul 4 2007, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the general thought has been tha the 07's mpg computer is very optimistic. ...

My stock '06 average MPG reading is very optimistic on short runs where I'm getting high 30's [uK], but quite accurate on longer trips where I'm getting low 50's [uK]. FWIW I'm fairly anal about my consumption, all is logged (with graphs) here.

(Swift approx conversion UK -> US mpg:

UK US

30 25

35 29.1

40 33.3

45 37.5

50 41.6

55 45.8

60 50

Swift converion: Litres to gallons UK & gallons US

L G(UK) G(US)

5 1.1 1.32

10 2.2 2.64

15 3.3 3.96

20 4.4 5.28

25 5.5 6.60 (that's the tank full!)

I would add that my link also lists amount put in and where I noticed the reserve flashing (although this is often wrong; if the bike is leant on its sidestand the fuel sender obviously gives out a much lower reading).

Last edited by a moderator: