PCIII with stock mufflers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an '07 with stock mufflers and the prior owner installed a Power Commander III. The service manager at my local Yamaha dealer told me it was not a good idea to use a power commander on a bike with stock exhaust. He said it could have a negative effect on the ECU. I did notice the fuel economy is not as good as it was on my previous '07. Is it possible to just remove the power commander or does it require a retuning of the bike? Any informed thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

The PCIII makes GenII bikes run "normal" instead of twitchy. It a simple plug-n-play install/removal. It will NOT damage your bike. Yes, because the PCIII makes your FJR run richer it will drop your MPG a bit, but it's certainly worth it. The OEM AFR is way too lean so IMHO you're actually doing more harm to your bike running it that lean. There are plenty of maps out there you can experiment with, to find one that works for you.

The service manager is full of shit. There a many, many that use the PCIII with stock cans with no issues here. The fuel economy goes down, because it corrects the lean issues that Mamma Yamma prgorammed into the ECU to pass the EPA levels. Which is the cause fo the throttle surges at low RPM's when you don't have a PC III installed. With the PCIII you should get about 38-42 mpg (calculated - don't use the mpg on the bike, it is inaccurate)

The other reason the Yamaha serice manager tells you that is they cannot officially endorse the PCIII

I run a PC-V on my '07. Would never go back to stock "way too lean" condition. Dealer is full of it. If your fuel mileage is terrible, then you may have a performance map. I have the map that came from Fuel Moto.com and it is a compromise, but does not hurt fuel economy very much at all.

I bought an '07 with stock mufflers and the prior owner installed a Power Commander III. The service manager at my local Yamaha dealer told me it was not a good idea to use a power commander on a bike with stock exhaust. He said it could have a negative effect on the ECU. I did notice the fuel economy is not as good as it was on my previous '07. Is it possible to just remove the power commander or does it require a retuning of the bike? Any informed thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.
The power commander uses two simple factory connections. If you wanted to experiment with the removal of the PC you could undo the PC connections and connect up the factory connections, the PC and it's wiring can remain in place during your "test runs ". All it takes is for you to prop up the tank and there's a connection on either side of the bike under the tank.

I think the service manager is FOS also. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The service manager is full of shit. There a many, many that use the PCIII with stock cans with no issues here. The fuel economy goes down, because it corrects the lean issues that Mamma Yamma prgorammed into the ECU to pass the EPA levels. Which is the cause fo the throttle surges at low RPM's when you don't have a PC III installed. With the PCIII you should get about 38-42 mpg (calculated - don't use the mpg on the bike, it is inaccurate)

The other reason the Yamaha serice manager tells you that is they cannot officially endorse the PCIII
+1 He's full of shit. No better description.

Would you like to see 114,000 miles on the odometer of a 2007 with PC-III installed the first week? Would you like to see it dust a 2008 by two bike lengths exiting every corner?

I cannot imagine owning a 2007, the WORST year model for lean/twitchy throttle response without a PC-III installed.

Feel free to leave the O2 sensor connected, even though that's in direct contradiction with the PC-III installation instructions. You MAY generate an occasional ENGINE fault light, but only when you are riding with the throttle locked and over loooong straights of extremely flat road. The ECU tries to tweak the mixture for optimal mileage and cannot reach its intended ratio, thereby generating an O2 sensor fault code. It's temporary and goes away as soon as you whack the throttle.

Leaving the O2 connected will help you regain fuel mileage while cruising/slab, without substantially compromising the benefits of the PC-III in all other conditions.

Installed the PC-III about 6k ago. First thing I noticed was the great bottom end. The funky twitch is gone gone gone. Worth every penny. As the others said the tech is FOS. :lol: :lol:

I'm running the smoothness map and must say the bike runs like a a dream. I also have the G2 Throttle tamer. The better performance out weighs the loss of gas milage. Running regular octane fuel makes up the $$ effect. My previous BMW got slightly better MPG but had to use premium. Many thanks to all of you great FJR Forum brothers for clarifying this issue. Happy New Year to all!!

Couldn't you just zero out the tune inside the PC III? That would put it back to stock and you could keep it connected. Hopefully theres a way to upload the file first though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't you just zero out the tune inside the PC III? That would put it back to stock and you could keep it connected. Hopefully theres a way to upload the file first though.
Dynojet provides a "zero" map in the standard software suite. You can simply download it from the map file they provide. At least, this was true when I bought my PCIII. It is Map 419.000.