Penn-Run Group Ride (Mem-Day Weekend '14)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
The Penn-Run 2014 is in the books!
smile.png

We had 20 bikes, mostly couples, very few solo riders including myself cuz nobody wants me!. The weather, roads, scenery and night life amongst our entire group were simply amazing. I say night life, because, Wellsboro is such a cool town, every pub or restaurant you would ever want is right across the street from our hotel(s). Most Rally's or Meets can't hold a candle to this place period. Speaking of candles, the entire median of this town is lit up with gas mantle light poles.... classy and unique for sure.

Those of you who wish to share your images please feel free to tag on, please caption names to faces and places if you can remember
wink.png
Anybody who wants a full resolution image (like the group shot), mainly because these posted are compressed low-rez hosted on photobucket.

---My RR---

Since I'm less than 2hrs away, my ride-in plans incorporated a big west then south loop that ate up most of Saturday. I hit 3 heavy rain storms in that extended ride-in, but they all lasted like 5 mins and then it was sunny again.... those dang cumulus-nimbus's anyway. Upon arriving at the hotel I was warmly greeted by my Canadian friends and FJRPittsburgh. 1 block up at the lodge, everybody was libation partaking and this 800 LED-Light bohemouth stole the show....

20140524_190022_zpsbd802182.jpg

Then another 5min rain blast hit, some of us took cover into the Lodges loungy area. Yup, we brought our coolers right in, made ourselves at home and I noticed the hotel owners were not even looking our way. BTW- very biker friendly town, not just the hotel!

20140524_192420_zps8441f429.jpg

20140524_192405_zpsea363d93.jpg

After rounds and rounds of beers (who's counting?) a smaller group of us walked across the street into one of the towns Steak Houses. I bring my cooler right in, hey, this town is like homey
smile.png

20140524_202032_zps533420a9.jpg

Get a Room! ....and they did. (Mike "Wine Guy" and his gorgeous friend Donna)

20140524_211445_zpsc0e85936.jpg

Our Sat nite little dinner group, that's Tim (madmudder) way in the back/right wearing Billy's (yamafitters) Yamaha hat. That lid sure gets around! Mike (wnyfjr) is starboard from me along with his lovely wifey Laura. PS- Show up to their tech day June 7th (Eden NY).... she's making lotz of finger-foods for all you roughnecks!... It will be a great time 4-sure
smile.png

20140524_211811_zps81bbcb8d.jpg

Next day, breakfast at the Wellsboro Diner, I had the great company w Jeff (FJRPittsburgh) at my booth. Really down to Earth guy and I've rode a few other rides with him before as well.

20140525_112904_zps8c463632.jpg

Our main day ride, I had everybody meet at the Penn-Wells Lodge Parking lot for a 9am KSU. Well, we had more and more trickle in form a few different hotels but it wasn;t bad. The bad part is/was... I had no other Group Leaders other than myself who wanted to take a group (at this time anyway). This area being like my backyard and everybody knew it pretty much self appointed me as the WHOLE group leader.... well, I had an idea!
wink.png
...yep, hand glide them out
wink.png
.....no, just kidding of course.

20140525_112638_zps9f40513d.jpg

Here's the 272mi loop that I made in BaseCamp, it was morphed from my prior rides and experience down there. It featured a little bit of everything... high vista sceneries, Rte 414 w almost adventure riding but still (barely) asphalt below us, sweeps, swoops, of course twisties, assorted bridges, creek beds everywhere AND the one thing I've taken from this ride before was that the traffic was so minimal it was a REAL JOY to take. Memorial Day Weekend had me a bit nervous however. Well, it didn't disappoint me (and I hope to others as well) one bit. The traffic was a tad more than usual, but still I would call it few to even none on a lot of the roads.

BigHynerLoop_zps35df3436.jpg

So I led 17 bikes to this first photo-op stop [C on map] which was about 60mi away from Wellsboro. After Hyner-View, (whole group pic'd minus maybe a couple bathroom attendees and I'm not seeing all the Canadians eh?) after....I figured I could get some groups bonded together w riding skills/desires... and I did
smile.png

20140525_114252_zps96db8c62.jpg

Mike was itching to do a flight on one of those gliders, Donna wasn't liking the height quite as much.

20140525_112752_zpsa0fbfd58.jpg

So the ones who wanted to go out in the first group with myself (as a little more aggressive riding) were....

(L-R) Bud, Dan, John, Michelle, Jeff, Mike.

20140525_172355_zps4107a1ca.jpg

Bud (blk shirt), Michelle and John
smile.png
John works for Hershey and brought a whole side case full of chocolates and candy for everyone... nice refreshers during the stops and nightly parking lot parties. You guys are AWESOME! ...but apparently nobody in our group pays any attention to signs
wink.png

20140525_130618_zpsa691d547.jpg

My buddy Dan from Horseheads NY!

20140525_172107_zps0cb5c2a7.jpg

Lunch Stop in Weedville PA (almost halfway thru the loop), Fish Sand for $6.99?, I felt like I should'a worn a mask! Thanks to Jeff (FJRPittsbugh) for picking up my tab as well!!
smile.png

20140525_133355_zps92284477.jpg

We saw 1 cop the whole trip, in St. Mary's and that's normal on these isolated routes/roads. After a failed attempt at an ice creame log cabin place (line was too long!) then some twistes and an Observatory Campground (interesting!) we hit the east side of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon [K on the map]

20140525_172551_zps787b40ca.jpg

20140525_172454_zpse3e43047.jpg

20140525_172852_zpsf924dbe7.jpg

20140525_172833_zpsdcc5f145.jpg

20140525_173212_zps13efe519.jpg

20140525_172734_zps6c3957c4.jpg

20140525_172717_zps7762801f.jpg

Returning the great days ride, we do our parking lot mingle once again. Yes, beers are in hand, and, I find a Harley woman coming up to me saying how she loves the sleek Beemer 6-cylinder!. I quickly make friends and I ask her to show me her ride.... Damn!, I was expecting some little lightweight HD... nope!.... I reciprocated the praise and afterwards I thought... wow, that was a first! (to have an HD chick break ice with complimenting my bike).... maybe b/c it wasn't a Jap-anese bike? Anyway, kinda kewl, so was she.

20140525_184808_zps61d70c64.jpg

20140525_193006_zpsa2273225.jpg

Walking the downtown, we stumble upon a beauty! (so much so,I forgot the name already!)

(L-R) Michelle, John, Bud, Mike, Laura, Donna, Mike (suck in that gut Mikey!)

20140525_213401_zpsa208b8a1.jpg

This part has got to be a highlight at least for us techie geeks. I find out Mike (Wine Guy) use to be a projectionists (like myself!) at a theater many moons ago. Mike quickly makes friends with the projectionists at the Town Movie Complex, introduces the rest of us and it's now on peeps!. We (well, are pretty all buzzed up) get the FULL Monte tour. He guides us to the (Now) Digital Projo's (running a movie as we got the scoop!) and in a couple different theater rooms. We got such a detailed tour, I felt as if I should pay the guy. The females in our group were not bored either, there was just so much great history and facts being spewed from this guy, who clearly spoke from the heart. Awesome, awesome guy, we may have to visit him again next year! (Mike's got his cell number, that's how personal this whole evening transformed into).

20140525_231336_zpsf63e4215.jpg

We then went to Mike (Wine Guys) room to finish off the cooler. We failed, it was 1am and I through in the towel. I left Mike & Laura with Mike & Donna to finish up.

---Ride Home Day---
sad.png

I got 5 bikes to follow me back N/West, plotting a course for another Canyon ride, but this time it's... "the Grand Canyon of the East!"

20140526_115719_zpsa3748095.jpg

Lunch stop in Portageville NY

20140526_130101_zps7f2b195c.jpg

Laura & Mike (wnyfjr) at our first of 4 stops within the park (and this is shortchanging this awesome place by ten-fold!)

20140526_144704_zps33591c18.jpg

20140526_145840_zpsd9304179.jpg

20140526_150453_zps3d7b0a2b.jpg

20140526_150459_zps1186cff4.jpg

All in all, awesome trip, routes and most of all... unbelievably great and appreciative people!!. I had much praise for this trip (thank you everybody again! and I really, really appreciate it!), but... what made it successful & fun was you! Look for another Meetup/Rally soon, but I will bow out at least for another year. Then if popularity has it... we'll do it again with some new/different twists! (that Theater guy tho has to be revisited!).

Sad Note
sad.png
Wayne (from NJ) could not partake in the main ride. He was going to take a group with him so I kinda was relying on that. And, he actually was the instigator of all this as a "Spring Ride". I just came in as the one who has been in this Penn area so frequently that it quickly migrated onto me. I bow to him as he kick started all this, and, I am very sad he had the ole "Metzler Z8 quick thread show syndrome" and had to bow out. Sorry Wayne, and I was hoping to see you and Patty after the ride but I guess you had already checked out. Only other thing possibly that was a "wish I did" was get some pics of 'Beemer the Dog' and him riding. The helmet "Bad to the Bone" should (picture wise) be in my collection. Everything else was premo, thanks everybody, you made it well worth the planning and effort. I will do it again!

Many safe and happy times ahead, wishing you all the very best!

-KJ (top_speed1)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a great time! KJ did a nice job of ride planning and leading a group of misfits. It was good seeing some of you again and meeting some new faces. If this ride is to be repeated next year, I'll do my best to be there. The lookout views from Hyner View State Park and from the East rim of the PA Grand Canyon were magnificent. Thanks for everything KJ.

Awesome 3 days of riding with GREAT company. Here are a few pics of the adventure.........

This was Donna's first big ride. Affectionately given the nick name of "B.A." for "Bad Ass" biker

6b248223-52a8-4ad5-ac39-a26ba328b7e2.jpg

Wellsboro is known for the gas lamps that illuminate the main street downtown. "B.A." Donna wanted to take one home.....

DSCF5604.jpg

Great company......both human and canine.....Beemer the dog showing us that he is "Bad to the Bone"!

DSCF5616.jpg

Although we never ate at Mickey D's, it looks like the Gods were pointing us that way.......

DSCF5601.jpg

Wellsboro Diner for breakfast - a cool converted rail car where they cook right behind the counter - busy Sunday morning....

DSCF5607.jpg

Menu has lots of great breakfast items at great prices. Check out the Hot Cakes section....you can add "meat" to them if you want. HA!

DSCF5610.jpg

You can't leave here hungry.......and yes, I got "meat" with my omelette

DSCF5613.jpg

Beautiful scenery everywhere you looked......cool small towns, great roads, great weather........

DSCF5620.jpg

Hanging back to take in the sights......

DSCF5634.jpg

DSCF5655.jpg

DSCF5684.jpg

DSCF5640.jpg

Great scenery, whether looking forward or backwards....

DSCF5629.jpg

Didn't stop here, but did find the name amusing......

DSCF5725.jpg

Monday, we reluctantly said our goodbyes and heading back to Canada - with a few stops along the way. Can't leave Pennsylvania without visiting Hyner View State Park.....

DSCF5739.jpg

The view was spectacular. Watching the hang gliders prepare and then run off the cliff to take flight was incredible......

DSCF5668.jpg

DSCF5675.jpg

Our group taking in the view......Hey! Are you lookin' at my ass?

DSCF5746.jpg

The group for the ride home. Liana, B.A. (Donna), Wine Guy (Mike), Bruce, Lisa, wnyfjr (Mike) and Spanky (Laura). Top_Speed1 (KJ) was MIA and Madmudda (Tim) is behind the camera.

DSCF5747.jpg

Had lunch at a great place called Spragues. Getting a bit frisky with the wildlife......

IMG_3623.jpg

Things you don't see in Canada - House Recipe "Fancy" Tomato Ketchup, Struab Groundhog beer and lemon juice in individual packets.....

IMG_3630.jpg

From here, Tim, Liana, Bruce and Lisa went their seperate way. Donna and I traveled with KJ, Mike and Laura and had one last Kodak stop at Letchworth State Park in New York before going back to Canada. Another great spot for spectacular views......

DSCF5781.jpg

DSCF5751.jpg

DSCF5764.jpg

Of course, we had to take advantage of the backdrop for some portraits......

DSCF5757.jpg

DSCF5754.jpg

DSCF5755.jpg

KJ couldn't pass up on the opportunity to show us his manhood......

DSCF5775.jpg

Anyone for a picnic?........

DSCF5774.jpg

Thanks to Top_Speed1 (KJ) for pulling this all together, taking the lead and being a good friend. Donna & I had an amazing time and can't wait to get together with everyone and do it again! Cheers!

Looks like everyone had a blast. That's an area I've been wanting to see on the bike for a few years now - maybe 2015...

Thanks, it was a really good time had by all :)

Looks like everyone had a blast. That's an area I've been wanting to see on the bike for a few years now - maybe 2015...

Lisa- Next time I pull the fire alarm, come a calling girlie! ...luv to have you next time :)

Thanks! Memorial Day weekend was busy with other things, but it looks like I missed a good time.
FJRPittsburgh made it, yuse guyz coulda rode in together!