Petey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just made aware of this by a phone call from Marty, which I appreciate. I will miss my friend.

Over a dozen years of riding and hanging out with Peter, beginning with the Hooterville 400, he became one of the few people I admired very much, for a number of reasons.

I regret Marty had to deal with the situation. I'm glad someone who Peter considered a good friend and riding buddy was there with him doing what he could.

I don't regret he died doing what I believe he enjoyed most in life, after his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I first met Petey in 2010 in Eureka. I was very impressed by the fact that he and a friend from Texas had ridden all the way from Oklahoma to attend the meeting. I then met him at every function I attended. He always made me feel like a true friend. I started joking with him, by thanking him for showing up, because he would keep me from being the oldest attendee. I have never met a nicer person than Petey and am so sad to hear of his passing. I always looked forward to seeing him.

My last contact was a message I sent to him telling him how much I enjoyed the Oklahoma schools success in football. His reply was "I didn't know you liked football." I told him that I was born in Oklahoma City and my father was a huge sooner backer.

I am about to come to tears I will miss him so much.

He is your pic zzzzip, please forgive me for not giving you a call about this sooner.

Smitty

Hooterville%20gang-M.jpg

I shared this in the other sandbox and thought I'd share it here as well.

I've been processing things and searching for words for a few days now and discovered that I really suck at finding the right words. Or least halfway decent ones.

Marty - great post and a great story. I've been thinking about you. You have my number.

Wayne - you nailed something. Sooze and I weren't close to Petey, but, like you, he was a familiar face that we looked forward to seeing, looked forward to shaking his hand, looked forward to having a chat about whatever. We did just that on Thursday, and for that I am thankful. Gonna miss those handshakes and chats.

As others have said, Petey is my hero.

Here is how Petey became my ninja hero:

We had initially met Petey at either EOM '08 or SFO '09. We remember for sure that he was at SFO.

Fast forward to 2010. Sooze and I saw him at CFR. Just a few weeks later, we were in Eureka, CA, where we popped in at the WFO hotel to meet and chat with the west coast FJR folks.

As we were standing around chatting, I felt ... a presence ... behind me.

I turned, and Petey had snuck up on me, all ninja-style. He scared the shit outta me.

He laughed, of course, because ninjas laugh when they sneak up behind you and scare the shit outta you.

Right then, Petey became my hero because he was everywhere. Arkansas ... Quebec ... California. He was everywhere.

And ever since, he is my favorite ninja.

I found a picture of him from that WFO gathering - just look at him, back there all ninja-style.
DSC09093.jpg

Update - There are conversations, tributes, and memories being shared on both FJR sites most here are familiar with. I have posted a link there to this thread, and here is a link to the thread over there.

Petey.

There is some duplicate content between the sites, but I'd encourage everyone to read both threads. For those like me who knew of Petey, but did not have the honor of spending any extended time with him, but had the honor of shaking his hand a couple times a year, these threads will help fill in just how great the loss of Petey really is to many.

#peteyismyhero.

Wayne

I haven't been hanging out on the forum much lately, and just learned of this terrible news now. What a travesty.

Someone above called Petey an FJR Ambassador and a gentleman. I think that defines him well.

Like many others, I knew him from all of the various gatherings. EOM, CFR, NERDS, he seemed to show up at them all. And more often than not, he, along with his trusty riding partner nosecone, would have come from the furthest away to attend.

I never heard an unkind word come from his mouth, well, except that he didn't like all the gravel roads in Vermont very much. But even that was lighthearted. He was a good friend to any that met him. Those of us who did, know that our lives are enriched for it. With his passing we have all lost a great friend.

RIP Petey.

I believe I met Petey at CFO 2012 which was the first FJR event I attended. I don't remember actually being introduced to Petey but he always greeted me by name when he saw me. If he entered a dining room at breakfast and saw me he always came and said hello and would sit with me if his regular group hadn't arrived yet. I thought he was the coolest guy in all of FJRdom. I was just amazed how he rode like he did at his age while I gave up riding after Red Lodge and NAFO last year because my 69-year-old body couldn't handle it anymore. Even though I wasn't close to him as others were, Petey was my hero.

So sad to hear. Only met him once, at EOM '15. Never had the pleasure of riding with him. But, as many have said, even as a kind, humble man, he made a lasting impression.

Godspeed, Petey.

Comfort to those who knew him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts