PIAA 1100X Auxillary Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhound

Reaction score
I am concidering installing a set of PIAA 1100X lights on my 05'. The only other options on my bike that are electric are J&M CB and Intercom System, Sirrus Sat. Radio and (I can't remember the brand) Cruise Control.

My concern is the 110w drawn by the 2 55w bulbs. Can this alternator carry the load of all of these options?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Roadhound

Last edited by a moderator:
The CB, Intercom, and Sirius are negligible load at probably a few watts total load.

The big thing are the addition of two 55watt halogen lights or 110 watts. There's enough reserve in a stock Gen I stator for that...as detailed in the Gen I FAQ of about 120 or 130 watts, but you're getting close. You add anything more of substance and you'll probably want to start to consider a Datel voltmeter or comparable to monitor.

You add anything more of substance and you'll probably want to start to consider a Datel voltmeter or comparable to monitor.
Or you may want to consider upgrading your stator to a ESG 130 ElectroSport Stator. This should give you another 100 watts of power over the stock stator.

I added the stator when the first group buy happened. Have had no problems running the same lights, heated grips and vest. I would check BLM Accessories and Trailtech, I think these are the two companies. They make up to 30 watt phid's with built in ballasts. Put out more light with way less watts. Plenty of archives on these. Do a search.