Pilot Road 2 Rear 180/55ZR-17 B FJR Specific

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I got sucked in to paying an extra $30+ to purchase the

B version of the Pilot Road 2 tire?

Model Specific Fitments: * 180/55ZR-17 B = BMW K1200GT & R1200RT; Yamaha FJR1300

Buying tires driving me nuts. All started with a tiny nail spotted from the dealer while having my ECU exchanged. Now $202.00 later I might be able to ride in a week or so.

Dealer wanted to charge me $205.00 for Bridgestone rear BT021. Found it online for $131.99 but after reading this forum decided I needed to try the PR2.

One more thing... Will I be ok not having a P R 2 on the front?

Many of us would have removed the nail, stuck in a sticky string plug, and used that tire up. Others will tell you otherwise. Your call.

I have not used the B spec but the normal PR2 lasted me a long time. That B spec may last even longer. You won't know until you've used it up.

Different front tires might behave differently. Again, you won't know for sure until you try it. You are probably fine with whatever front you have, but you may not get the same performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have plugged the tire and moved on. Ian, Iowa

I had looked into the "B" issue myself. I called Michelin USA and they told me the "B" designation is for two-up riding, also indicating that it's meant for heavy loads. The regular tire is fine even for two -up riding. Since I'm 162 in gear and rarely have a pillion, I saved myself $30 and went with the regular tire.

I would have plugged that tire also. But you can't go wrong with the regular PR2. I just pulled a rear with almost 14k on it and it wasn't even down to the wear bars yet. And it's had at least a few thousand 2 up miles on it at speeds up to the 120's (on a closed course with professional rider :devil: ).

I might have plugged the tire, depends where the hole was, how big, etc.

But, I have mixed many front and rear brands, never had any problems. You might lose a few tenths on the track but otherwise on the street you might not even notice.

Run the +$30 tire and see what miles you get on it. Then get the other one. Check it's mileage. Then post up in the Never Ending Pointless Recurring Thread and we'll have a scientific comparo....

I run two-up all the time and have never purchased the "B." YMMV

;)

Thanks... Yeah, I wasn't prepared for the nail and the dealer would not plug the darn thing for legal reasons of course. It's a freakin tiny thing put def punchured through (18lbs of pressure) and I just filled it a week ago So I told them to put a tire on. dealer didn't have any tire so I left the bike and did some homework online on the forum. Realized many have patched and gone. Told dealer I wanted the old tire back. I will have it patched and use it till it's bald after the PR 2 is gone.

Read good reports on the PR 2. Unfortunately, it will take several days for the PR 2 to get to the dealer. Hopefully the new ECU will work just fine...

Thanks again for all the support!

-Max

I would have plugged that tire also. But you can't go wrong with the regular PR2. I just pulled a rear with almost 14k on it and it wasn't even down to the wear bars yet. And it's had at least a few thousand 2 up miles on it at speeds up to the 120's (on a closed course with professional rider :devil: ).

Maybe I will have to give the PR2 a try if you're getting 14k out on a tire. Of course, I've got to wonder why you would pull it if it "wasn't evn down to the wear bars yet."

I've been using PRs for a few years now but I was told that the only difference between the PRs and the PR2s was the the compound on the edges provided more grip. Since the majority of my miles for the last 3 years are going up and down I-5 in Washington I didn't see the cost/benefit making a lot of sense. Did I hear wrong about the nature of the dual compounds? Is the rubber used in the center of the tire longer wearing than the PRs?

Did I hear wrong about the nature of the dual compounds? Is the rubber used in the center of the tire longer wearing than the PRs?
Check the Pirelli website about the compound differences center to side. In addition to really good grip I am getting quite a bit more mileage with the PR2, well worth any price diff.

Did I hear wrong about the nature of the dual compounds? Is the rubber used in the center of the tire longer wearing than the PRs?
Check the Pirelli website about the compound differences center to side. In addition to really good grip I am getting quite a bit more mileage with the PR2, well worth any price diff.
Check the Pirelli website about a Michelin Pilot Road 2?

Well, regardless of whether or not Pirelli has information about the PR2, I figured it was good advice to check the website. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information comparing the PR to the PR2. Does anyone happen to know the location of this information? Maybe I should check the Pirelli website.

I have 10k on my first set of PR2's Just finished a 3k trip with some good rain riding and they are still in great shape. This is my daily driver for the most part and I only ride 1 up. 200#'s . I will be getting a 2nd set before SW FOG

Greg

+1 as a PR2 fan. Rode the BRP in fog and rain and never slipped a tread. Still have PR1 on front.

Some might notice difference mixing tread designs, front and rear. I never have. Have mixed radials with biased-ply, even ran a front tire on the rear of a Shadow(just to use up the tread). That tire didn't last 3K. Lesson learned.

One complaint on the PR2: COST!

Also; I have plugged many a Goldwing rear tire and several have started to leak after getting some more miles on then. Have one sitting in my basement that loses about 15 lbs a week. Not using it. Went with CT on spare wheel.

Just bought a Michlen PR for the front after putting 4k on the Bridgestone. The handling is superior for twisting roads and aggresive riding. Had a great weekend. Was looking at PR 2's but was told that they wear down fast on the sides because the compound is softer and you lose it quicker. Sounds like I was misguided--10 to 14k on a front tire is absolutely amazing! Are the roads flat and straight where you live?

One more thing... Will I be ok not having a P R 2 on the front?
I've mixed quite a few tires over the years and never had any problem doing so. Perhaps I don't ride hard enough to notice or just aren't in tune with the bike the way others are. I would just point out that you shouldn't run a harder compound on the front than the rear. If something is going to slide you want it to be the rear first. Sport/Sport-touring and Sport-touring/Touring respectively are okay if you're looking to get some extra miles out of a rear.

I'm currently running a PR2 in the front combined with a BT021 in the rear, only because I screwed up and needed a tire on the road and the BT021 is all they had. The mismatched-combo is working fine, but I really don't like the BT021. I have a new rear PR2 hanging in the garage getting ready to go on when the BT021 is done (a few weeks from now).

Just bought a Michlen PR for the front after putting 4k on the Bridgestone. The handling is superior for twisting roads and aggresive riding. Had a great weekend. Was looking at PR 2's but was told that they wear down fast on the sides because the compound is softer and you lose it quicker. Sounds like I was misguided--10 to 14k on a front tire is absolutely amazing! Are the roads flat and straight where you live?
Harald is a bit south of me but I would guess he's seeing a lot of highway miles around the Puget Sound. That's the case for me and from looking at a picture of the tire he took off (different thread) it's pretty flat in the center.

You, on the other hand, are living in Nor Cal, or Motorcycle Heaven as I like to call it, and it would depend a lot on where you do most of your riding as you could probably guess.

I'm thinking now that the PR2 is exactly what I'm looking for. If it can get 15k of wear in the center (a lot of time going up and down I-5) and have better grip on the edges than the PR for when I do get up in the hills then it really might be the perfect tire.

After reading a lot on the "Darkside" thread I was starting to think about trying it out but if I can get 15k on a tire and still have a MC tire on the bike I don't see the need. Of course, I'm not really an LD rider either.