Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Experiences?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yroundrdn

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going with a semi trail tire on the FJR. I've been on dirt roads and fire roads with the Avon tires and done just fine with the wife on back but want to do more dirt roads. The Pirelli Scorpion Trail II has the correct weight rating and seems it would do well, just thought I would check and see if anyone has had any issues with these in the past.

No first hand experience with those, but you should have no problem at all with those tires if you can find them in stock in the OE size. A couple of Canucks mounted TKC-70 DOT 50/50 Knobbies on their FJRs for running the Trans Lab Trail a few years ago, and they had no problem fitting those on there.

The biggest problems with the FJR and going off pavement are the lack of ground clearance and the weight, neither of which will be helped by better tires. I've never felt like the street tires held me back on the FJR before, but I also have another bike for riding on the unpaved roads that handles that job a lot better.

I have a set of Scorpion T-II on the Tenere now.

Very street biased tire, I would not consider it at all for any moderate dirt use. Dry performance is great, very neutral handling and holds cornering lines well. I do have some doubts on wet weather performance as I'm **pretty sure** I've slipped both front and back on moderately wet roads at less than aggressive cornering. At approximately 2500 miles, wear looks great with no squaring or funky cupping/feathering on the front.

--G

@Fred - The Canucks ran TKC-80s on their Trans-Lab trip. I've run a set of TKC-70's on the Tenere, rear good, front good for ~3K then some nasty cupping.