Place to ride and stay near Cal/Oregon border?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGroenke

Reaction score
I live near LA and we're planning to take 3 days to tour up the California coast roughly to the Oregon border before turning inland and coming home down the Sierras and stopping at Lake Tahoe. I'm wondering if anybody knows of a nice place for my wife and I to stay somewhere near the California / Oregon border. I'd like a place where we could relax without much comotion but have some nice day trips close by and be able to park the bikes at night and have choices for dinner and maybe some entertainment within walking distance.

Any suggestions from the seasoned travelers out there would be greatly appreciated.

Jeffery

I live near LA and we're planning to take 3 days to tour up the California coast roughly to the Oregon border before turning inland and coming home down the Sierras and stopping at Lake Tahoe. I'm wondering if anybody knows of a nice place for my wife and I to stay somewhere near the California / Oregon border. I'd like a place where we could relax without much comotion but have some nice day trips close by and be able to park the bikes at night and have choices for dinner and maybe some entertainment within walking distance.

Any suggestions from the seasoned travelers out there would be greatly appreciated.

Jeffery
One of the most incredible views you're ever going to get from a campground is at Harris Beach State Park, just across the border in Brookings, OR. The view from there is just incredible. Neat little town, too.

Some pics in the area, including a couple from Harris Beach State Park. In 2003, Brookings had a population of 5600. I'm sure it's less than twice that, now. I happened upon this place sorta by accident. The first time I passed, looking for Internet access, they were closed, sign on the door. The second time I passed, 15 minutes later, after striking out finding a hotspot for my laptop, the door was open. So I parked the bike and walked in. The proprietors were extremely friendly, asked if they could fix me anything. I said that I thought they were closed. They said they were, but they'd be happy to serve me, but they were leaving on vacation in 15 minutes. I told them I didn't want to disrupt them and I'd be leaving. They asked if I'd stay for a cuppa and a muffin. So I did. I asked if I could fire up my laptop and they said, "go right ahead". 15 minutes was up and I went to leave. They asked if I were done with what I was doing. I said, "close enough". They said, "nonsense, sit". 15 minutes became a half hour. Then they said they really were leaving this time, and I was welcome to stay if I'd accept responsibility to lock up when I left.

They sure make them friendly up in Brookings. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The KOA in Crescent City is pretty good too. If you are tenting or you could get one of their cabins. Most places fill up or a reserved way in advance, so you want to get reservations as soon as you can. Some of the state parks in Oregon have first come first serve sites, but fill up early in the day.

you will want to check this website out for Oregon state parks. Oregon State Park Campgrounds Most are fairly close to town, but you will have to ride a little distance. If you are looking for somthing in town, you will probably have to find a private RV or campground.

A couple of spots in northern Cali.: On 101 inside the Redwoods about 7 miles south of Crescent city. Del Norte campground. The other one is on HWY 199 slightly in land from 101 in the Redwoods Jedediah Smith State Park

Anything on the coast this time of year can be tough to get a camping site at.

Jeffery
Eureka! Free Air conditioning....

Jeffery
Eureka! Free Air conditioning....
IF in Eureka you must have dinner at the Sea Grill. A bit upscale (nice for the women folk) and wonderful food- just ask Eddie!

Once you start back down the Sierras, you'll come upon Quincy, fairly high in the north end. We stayed at a very nice B&B there some years back, and found the quiet little town and beautiful mountainous surroundings very restful. The nearby mountain roads had about ZERO traffic, too.

IF in Eureka you must have dinner at the Sea Grill. A bit upscale (nice for the women folk) and wonderful food- just ask Eddie!
I concur! Pictures taken at dinner there on our way back from White Stag Rally 2009.

0a84a83f.jpg

cbccc2c5.jpg

2e116fc6.jpg

AANNDDD....The Samoa Cookhouse for breakfast! :clapping:

Besides, if you stay in Eureka there are too many roads to enjoy:

Hwy 96 (to Yreka) along the Klamath River is one of my favorites for the views

Infamous Hwy 36 to Red Bluff

Hwy 3 from Yreka South through the Trinity Alps to Weaverville. :yahoo:

Hwy 299 to Redding

I mean....these are some stupendous roads, great twisty bits and plenty of scenery......Enjoy!

And highway 101, north to Crescent City and Brookings, 199 to Cave Junction/Grants Pass, 101 South to Garberville, Willits, Highway 1, you just can't go very far to the west from here...

FWFE

And highway 101, north to Crescent City and Brookings, 199 to Cave Junction/Grants Pass, 101 South to Garberville, Willits, Highway 1, you just can't go very far to the west from here...

FWFE
From Grants Pass you can take Williams Highway to Applegate, then over to Jacksonville (very small, very old town) as a way to avoid I-5 heading east.

Jeffery
Hi jeffery: i don't know if you've left yet but if you get this in time, I recommend an alternative to the other suggestions you have received. Head to Bend, which is about 150 miles north of the CA border on US 97. Bend offers warm weather, beautiful scenery, almost unlimited rides on great roads and full services. If you are camping, Tumalo State park is about 6 miles North of Bend on OR SR 20. This time of year, the weather in Bend is warm as opposed to the cold foggy weather you'll likely encounter on the coast. I just returned from Bend, Crater lake, Lava Beds National Monument (in Modoc County, CA). If you are interested, reply back and I'll provide you with more detailed suggestions, e.g., possible routes for you to consider. All the best.

RosevilleSteve