• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Plug 'n' Play Harness For Aftermarket Horns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've sold about 6 of them to prospective '06 owners. My thought here after looking at the '06 is that you will have more trouble getting the horns to fit in tight. As far as I can possibly determine, the harness should go right on. All wiring and lengths look the same anyway. I would guess the harness routing might be slightly different from the reference pics I supply, but not by much at all.

FJRandy-

Does your harness include the following:

MATERIALS (not included with horn):

- 14 to 16 gauge wire, 10 ft - 20 ft length (more than enough)

- 2 splice-in wire connectors (blue plastic variety)

- 6 female blade-style quick disconnects (Radio Shack 64-3049)

- 3 ring connectors for attachment to battery terminals

- 1 in-line fuse holder with 30 amp automotive fuse

- weather-sealed heat-shrink connectors

I've got a nautilus compact on the way. This seems to be the way to go for man horns on the 06A...

Got the harness Randy thanks, now waiting on the horns, will let you know how well it works.

FJRandy-
Does your harness include the following:

MATERIALS (not included with horn):

- 14 to 16 gauge wire, 10 ft - 20 ft length (more than enough)

- 2 splice-in wire connectors (blue plastic variety)

- 6 female blade-style quick disconnects (Radio Shack 64-3049)

- 3 ring connectors for attachment to battery terminals

- 1 in-line fuse holder with 30 amp automotive fuse

- weather-sealed heat-shrink connectors

I've got a nautilus compact on the way. This seems to be the way to go for man horns on the 06A...

Maybe you misunderstood??

Yes, my harness includes that stuff but it comes PRE-MADE.

14 ga wire with connectors crimped on at a length that should be close enough on the '06.

20 amp fuse in a 10ga fuse holder and a Bosch high quality relay.

You do nothing to assemble this harness...you just plug everything in and connect the "ring" terminals to the battery.

It may not make a difference soon anyway. I'm considering stopping production very soon. I just found out my next wire order will cost me just about double due to skyrocketing copper prices.

A 500' roll of 14 ga black was costing me approx $24.00. It is now $46.00.

If I can't continue to make these at a good price, Id rather not make them at all.

One day soon I have to sit down and re-calculate EXACTLY how much EACH harness costs to make once I find out the rest of the wiring price increases. Kind of common sense though. I don't make that much on them now, and with double the cost of the wire it would end up doubling the cost of the harness to over $60.

I myself would never pay that much for that harness, how can I charge someone else that kind of price?

We'll see how it goes.

Randy,

Got my harness today, very well put together :clapping: I put it on my farkle pile, to be installed the next time I have the fairing apart. I will most likely get some horns from Autozone or Schucks that are about the same size as OEM's but put out more volume.

Thanks

Bill

Randy,Got my harness today, very well put together :clapping: I put it on my farkle pile, to be installed the next time I have the fairing apart. I will most likely get some horns from Autozone or Schucks that are about the same size as OEM's but put out more volume.

Thanks

Bill
Thank you, and don't forget to follow the instructions.

Bill, if that's the case, hunt down a pair of freeway blasters. Much thinner than the Magnums and almost the same output at 6 ft. And that harness will make 'em sing, trust me. ;)

Randy, I got my harness 3 days after ordering it and I got the harness installed in about 15.5 minutes and I rarely do this kind of thing. Piece of cake...thanks.

Randy;

Do you have any of these left, and has it been confirmed to fit the '06? (sorry about the latter question, but previous posts never indicated if any '06 owners had trouble with the install or not)

Also, do you use a relay with this harness, and is it built into the harness as well? If you have one, (and it fits) I really want one.

Thanks!

mindtrip, do you REALLY want one???? Ok then, I'll sell you one!

Just bustin' ya. I just made up some extras. Yes, everything is included, and it just connects to your battery and plugs into the rest. The relay is built in to the harness. Instructions and diagram are included. I've sold quite a few to '06 owners, and so far no one has said anything about having trouble fitting it. From what I saw at the show, the battery and horns are in the same location. Everything looks the same as far as the horns are concerned. I'm curious to see someone's install of the Magnum Blasters with that curved radiator though. Gonna be tight in there for sure. I'd love to have an '06 owner come to my place and do an install with me, but I don't know of any in my area.

You can Paypal at [email protected] (remove the dashes) $36 and I'll send it right out. I'm heading to the post office Friday afternoon. If you pay before then, I'll get it out in time.

Thanks!

Randy

PS....Don, yours is on the way.

Hi Randy,

I'll paypal you for a harness as well. Does it cost you extra to mail to Canada? If so, let me know what the price would be.

Thanks,

Neil

Wait, I really REALLY want one. No, I take that back, I really really really REALLY want one. Hmm, maybe I just really really really really want one.

Nah, I just really want one. :p

:D

Thanks, paypal just got sent. I'm thinking of mounting the Stebel horns, might be easier to do. How many plug-ins are there for adding horns to the harness-- one or two?

Thanks again!

Drew

Wait, I really REALLY want one. No, I take that back, I really really really REALLY want one. Hmm, maybe I just really really really really want one.

Nah, I just really want one. :p

:D

Thanks, paypal just got sent. I'm thinking of mounting the Stebel horns, might be easier to do. How many plug-ins are there for adding horns to the harness-- one or two?

Thanks again!

Drew
Drew, I sent it out today for you. The harness is set up to run a pair of horns, NOT the Nautilus! The Nautilus harness is completely different.

thanks again!

Neil, if I recall correctly, shipping (global priority mail) to Canada was running around $10 so you're looking at $43 USD. Same Paypal address as above, and I can send it out Monday if paid before then.

Just MAKE SURE your address is CLEARLY written!

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy;

Oh, can I modify this harness for a Nautilus? If not, where can I get the Magnum Blasters? I've tried doing internet searches for them before but can never find them....

EDIT: Whoops, never mind, I found them and ordered a pair. I'll send pics when I have the install done.

Last edited by a moderator:
For mindtrip...

Fastest, easiest, and reasonably cheap way to get Stebel TM80 Magnum Blasters is from HornsPlus...

https://www.hornsplusauto.com/

They are quick and reliable... At least they were when I got a single TM80 for my BMW. They take PayPal and it's painless. They also sell the Nautilus horns, too, in all its colors and sizes.

Hope this helps!

BTW, I don't want ot be stepping on FJRandy's toes, and I can't say for sure until I get home and look at teh 2006 service manual again, but if I'm not mistaken the 2006 FJR horns are fired with relays...

Don't hold me to that as I won't know until tonight, but I'll check.

Dallara

That "factory" relay must be buried way in there...eh Dallara?? :p Haven't heard from you yet.

Happy hunting. ;) Make sure you find the heavy gauge wiring somewhere in there needed to operate the horns properly too.

Here's a hint to save you some time. Japanese motorcycles carry the ground signal directly through the horn button. Not a relay in sight. The relay you might be mistaking for the horn relay actually operates the ign system with key on.

FJRandy-

Got the harness. Great craftsmanship. I'll update when installed on my 06A.

Others-

If you're thinking of upgrading your horns...get the harness / relay.

Thanks Randy.

Latest posts